Author Topic: Shock replacement on 450i  (Read 1208 times)

airshot

• View Profile
Shock replacement on 450i
« on: June 02, 2020, 10:32:43 PM »
  Noticed I have a shock leaking on my 450i, has anyone replaced theirs, and what did you use?  Found some oem shocks on e-bay
But wondered if there was something better out there. Thanks

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Shock replacement on 450i
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 10:47:46 PM »
Have you looked at rebuild kits? I am not familiar with that unit but often a rebuild is cheaper than a new shock.
Become the best you can with what you have.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 11:56:22 PM »
following,

my shocks are toast between my cargo, and tongue weight of my little backhoe, I have a lot of mile at probable double the rated capacity, + pulling logs tree length, some good slack snacthes to get em moving,....    I don't dare drive over 35 anymore, on a smooth road.

as soon as it's in my budget, I will probaby start local, https://www.factoryconnection.com/, owner is a neighbor, I got my V-strom suspension thru them.  Or they will steer me in the right direction, I know they are dirt bikes primarily, but they helped me with my street bike that now has a top of the line WP Suspension bits, front and back, those big KTMs got nothing on me.

I'm also looking to upgrade my K-Pipe
RandyO
IBA#9560

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 12:58:47 PM »
The Prime models come with Stage 1 Elka shocks.  They are going to blow the oem shocks away.  If you are doing a lot of trail riding they might be the way to go.  I would call your dealer and see how much a set is going to cost you. 

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 04:46:47 PM »
Those Ella shocks are around 2 grand for a set of 4...way out of my price range. For a utility machine I can't imagine those shocks doing that much good !!!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 04:53:30 PM »
Those Ella shocks are around 2 grand for a set of 4...way out of my price range. For a utility machine I can't imagine those shocks doing that much good !!!
Way outta my range, too! Don't care how good they are!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 06:13:21 PM »
Where I was from 2 grand would buy three dirt-bikes. I believe in elimination upgrades. Your shock leaks? Drain the oil and stiffen the springs. Like new.
Become the best you can with what you have.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 08:57:50 PM »
source for springs with a better rate ?
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 10:52:00 PM »
I didn't replace my springs, just moved the shocks out then backed off the spring setting, better clearance and smoother ride.  Springs all the way up made for a rough bouncy ride on whooped up trails.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 04:36:38 PM »
I didn't replace my springs, just moved the shocks out then backed off the spring setting, better clearance and smoother ride.  Springs all the way up made for a rough bouncy ride on whooped up trails.

Can you post photos of your modified setup?
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 01:38:20 AM »
Pics aren't needed, if you look at the shocks you will see two upper mounting points, if you move the shock outward it stands it up straighter.  I had the springs adjusted all the way up to give max clearance but the ride was quite stiff especially over whoops. I moved all 4 shocks out (had to remove rear sway bar) and gained about 1.5" of extra clearance. Decided to adjust springs softer ,  still gained over an inch extra ground clearance and ride is better, much better!  I don't race and it is not a performance machine so the straighter up shocks have no noticeable difference in handling and helps smooth out the bumps somewhat.  Removal of sway bar made no difference either and allows the independent suspension to work better in my opinion

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()