Author Topic: Dealer problems  (Read 1527 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Dealer problems
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 03:05:35 PM »
Glad to hear he is getting the issue resolve.  Now if the new people in South Carolina can get the parts distribution network in gear.
Would be nice as well if they would bring in the 550 scooter.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 03:59:31 PM »
They will probably move very slowly. Kymco USA did have some very good people but the bad ones probably ran 'em off...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 04:19:07 PM »
Glad to hear he is getting the issue resolve.  Now if the new people in South Carolina can get the parts distribution network in gear.
Would be nice as well if they would bring in the 550 scooter.

I haven't had any issues getting parts for my UXV450i,   so far, haven't needed any for my K-Pipe
RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2020, 04:40:39 PM »
I haven't had any issues getting parts for my UXV450i,   so far, haven't needed any for my K-Pipe
Somethings they are good about others take forever. Not mine but another Kymco scooter the dealer had to wait months to get in parts to repair a customers scooter. I have been waiting on a speedometer cable for 6 weeks to come in.

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 02:10:19 AM »
Joe isn’t new, he’s been there for over 20 year going back to when they were an independent distributor for Kymco. Since the new CEO came on board, over 25 people have left KUS, good people, industry professionals. There are only 2 people left there from the group that was there about 2-1/2 years ago. Parts delivery is slower, their wholesale on new units is in the toilet, marketing, advertising, national and regional events are non existence. To say they are serious is laughable.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 03:07:18 AM by souzamoto »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »
I did not know that Joe is an original! So tell, Souzamoto, what is your assessment of KUS and its problems. Is it trouble at the top that drove off the crew? Or is it the crew got lazy or corrupted somehow?
When I applied for dealership several years ago, I was told KUS policy was one dealer per geographic area. There were two in Memphis at the time and I was 70miles southeast. I knew the one where I had purchased several bikes so visited the other. His operation was sell only. No parts, no service. That one could have been out of a trailer. KUS requires a 100000 DUS line of credit that seems to be for purchasing every machine to be sold. Have received several versions of how the system works, none make much sense except most dealers drop the line rather than be stuck with a bunch of units that did not sell in the first place.
So tell us, what is Kymco US problem?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 03:51:51 PM »
I don't think I'm going to comment anymore than I have already bout the status of Kymco USA. Anymore would be unprofessional.
What I will say is that the crew at KUS is all new. It's a steep learning curve. They are coming around but it's painful at times.
As far as obtaining a dealership for kymco (it's a dealer agreement, not a "franchise" as some would call it. There is a difference) The first thing a Dealer Development Department, or the DSM (District Sales Manager), does is determine the need in the area or an Open Point in a specific area. This is done by crunching numbers for a metro area to see if the point is viable. Kymco, or any other OEM, is not going to place a dealer in an area that has no potential. Also, they will consider adding dealers to an area where the current dealer is under performing, based on potential. There is also the New Motor Vehicle Board that regulates distance between dealers. In most states it's 10 miles. In a densely populated area such as Los Angeles it's been done less than 10. If an OEM decides to put in a dealer closer than the minimum, the current dealer must be notified and has the right to protest the placement of a new dealer. There are requirements by all OEM's to become a dealer and one is the establishment of a Commercial Credit Line from a participating bank. Every OEM has a required minimum. For example, Yamaha may be 750K to 1 Mil where as Kymco can be 75 to 100k. The Flooring Line is used by the dealer to purchase units for stock or for immediate sale. This allows the dealers to take advantage of offers such as Free Flooring where there are no interest charges for a specific amount of time. It also allows the dealer to stock heavier and take advantage of sales allocation programs where benefits are packed in based on the amount of units purchased.  This allows the dealer to possibly sell (turn the inventory) the inventory without paying interest or paying upfront for the inventory. Because the dealers have, hypothetically, a 100K line, doesn't mean the must keep 100K worth of inventory at all times. The dealers will work with the DSM to keep the proper amount of inventory in stock at all times and also keeping a proper representation of the model line. For example, some areas inherently sell more 49cc scoots due to DMV licensing requirements or lack of. Florida comes to mind as they have the "Moped" rule, where as in California you need a M1 license to ride any size scooter no matter what the cc. 49cc sales in California are very slow due to the licensing requirements, dealers stock very few if any. Although, "cult" bikes like the Ruckus 50 are very popular. Go figure.
New dealers must have a proper building with Showroom, parts area and service area. Some dealers start off maintaining the requirements but then fade in some areas. The OEM will notify the dealer of the breach of the dealer agreement and the dealer will need to resolve in a certain time frame. Some OEM's are very soft with regard to this as it is VERY difficult and costly to cancel a dealer agreement. It's easy to put a dealer in but difficult to take one out.
There are a few other requirements by Kymco but its nothing compared to what Yam, Kaw, Suz, etc. require
I could talk about OEM/Dealer relations and best practices for hours but that's all I have right now
CJS
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:15:40 PM by souzamoto »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 05:34:45 PM »
Very informative,  thanks for posting

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 07:40:22 PM »
Who would want to be scooter dealer in this dead scooter market?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2020, 07:49:53 PM »
That is a better, more believeable description I have heard from dealers, reps and KUS so far, Souzamoto!
To answer John's question, very few would be a scooter only dealer. Even near Boulder, CO with the Colorado University the cycle dealers were at least quite careful of inventory levels of 50 cc scoots, the most popular with students. A lot of china scoots there.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2020, 08:18:09 PM »
Most people shop price not quality so I could see cheap Chinese scooters doing well, especially with cash limited students.  I'm seeing a lot more scooters running around town, it might be since I own one I notice them more.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2020, 10:44:35 PM »
I don't think I'm going to comment anymore than I have already bout the status of Kymco USA. Anymore would be unprofessional.
What I will say is that the crew at KUS is all new..........................................................[snip]

very informative post.   One of my clients as a land use consultant is a dealer. as a multibrand dealer, he has to give em all their required floor space, and the building grows, this is where I come in, making everything fit within the local zoning. parking, and the biggie, stormwater treatment.

I'm currently working with him to open another location

RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 10:50:08 PM »
So far none of my 19 grandchildren are showing any interest in a scooter.....if it happens it will likely be 40>50 yrs from now. By then they'll be very different, or history altogether.
I'm enjoying the heck out of my Kymco, and have been so pleased with its reliability, knock on wood, for 8 summers.
I figure somebody will still be making one if ever I  need a replacement for these two. If Kymco is still around and still providing parts - I'd be happy to give them my money....if not, I'll go see what Honda is doing.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2020, 07:03:42 AM »
I don't mean to sound cold but we are only hearing one side of the story...

...too many people use social media to blast a business when they don't get their way.

Yes - this is very much the case. When I was working for a large UK bike importer, we were quite hard on people that went public on social media. I'm not saying this is/should be every importer's policy, but as soon as they went public we stopped helping them entirely - the reputational damage was already done. It wasn't a hard-and-fast rule but that was mostly how it worked.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 11:00:49 AM »
very informative post.   One of my clients as a land use consultant is a dealer. as a multibrand dealer, he has to give em all their required floor space, and the building grows, this is where I come in, making everything fit within the local zoning. parking, and the biggie, stormwater treatment.

I'm currently working with him to open another location
Good show, Randyo!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()