Author Topic: Dealer problems  (Read 1524 times)

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
Re: Dealer problems
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »
Who would want to be scooter dealer in this dead scooter market?
Fair question.  Attitudes can change quickly though, look how fast they changed regarding smoking, gay marriage and marijuana.  And now policing.  Military spending, medicare for all and trickle down economics could be next. 

Lot of reasons scooters might become popular and start replacing cars, many of those reasons due more and more to necessity rather than choice.  In terms of "buying low" and getting ahead of the curve, this may be an opportune time to get into scooters--sit down, stand up, and other forms of 2-3 wheel transport, both motorized and manual  (skateboards, etc).  Younger generations sure look posed to go in that direction.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »
Most people shop price not quality so I could see cheap Chinese scooters doing well, especially with cash limited students.  I'm seeing a lot more scooters running around town, it might be since I own one I notice them more.

In our country there are many cheaper Chinese scooters on the market. Usually only cash limited and poor people buy these scooters and soon start trying to get rid of the scooters when it start giving problems. It is common knowledge that some components like bolts, etc simply come loose, and eventually the scooters just start falling apart.

I tend to disagree - unless China start supplying scooters of better quality, I think the type of Chinese scooters we get in South Africa could finally kill the scooter market in the US quite easily.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2020, 01:13:58 PM »
In our country there are many cheaper Chinese scooters on the market. Usually only cash limited and poor people buy these scooters and soon start trying to get rid of the scooters when it start giving problems. It is common knowledge that some components like bolts, etc simply come loose, and eventually the scooters just start falling apart.

I tend to disagree - unless China start supplying scooters of better quality, I think the type of Chinese scooters we get in South Africa could finally kill the scooter market in the US quite easily.
Let me clarify a point,  my last paragraph was about scooters in general not necessarily Chinese scooters. I do agree completely about Chinese scooters being garbage.

The general public does not know there is a difference between Chinese scooters and Taiwan scooters.  This has helped me pick up some low mileage Kymco's at a very reasonable price.

I see adds all the time for not running/parts Chinese scooters for little or no money in Craigslist.  They look like a Kymco style wise but a very poor copy quality wise.

Add to that little or no parts support and Chinese scooters are disposable items.

In fact I have been riding most of my life and avoided Kymco because I thought they were cheap Chinese junk. It wasn't until a dealer explained the difference and I did some research until I realized the difference.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:20:49 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2020, 01:33:00 PM »
Let me clarify a point,  my last paragraph was about scooters in general not necessarily Chinese scooters. I do agree completely about Chinese scooters being garbage.

The general public does not know there is a difference between Chinese scooters and Taiwan scooters.  This has helped me pick up some low mileage Kymco's at a very reasonable price.

I see adds all the time for not running/parts Chinese scooters for little or no money in Craigslist.  They look like a Kymco style wise but a very poor copy quality wise.

Add to that little or no parts support and Chinese scooters are disposable items.

In fact I have been riding most of my life and avoided Kymco because I thought they were cheap Chinese junk. It wasn't until a dealer explained the difference and I did some research until I realized the difference.
We'll remember that an unknown (to me) number of Kymco's are manufactured in China.
Think I'll post that question to the members.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 02:05:57 PM »
I'm not sure that the general public realises the quality breadth of what scooters get made in China - from the top end stuff coming out of Longjia, Jianshe, Wuyang through to the dross coming out from Fosti, Jiajue and some Lifan stuff for African/Asian market where euro type approval and whatever the USA uses isn't an issue.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »
Fair question.  Attitudes can change quickly though, look how fast they changed regarding smoking, gay marriage and marijuana.  And now policing.  Military spending, medicare for all and trickle down economics could be next. 

Lot of reasons scooters might become popular and start replacing cars, many of those reasons due more and more to necessity rather than choice.  In terms of "buying low" and getting ahead of the curve, this may be an opportune time to get into scooters--sit down, stand up, and other forms of 2-3 wheel transport, both motorized and manual  (skateboards, etc).  Younger generations sure look posed to go in that direction.
John poses a good question. I would like to think that people getting involved at the daler level are first in love with the sport and second to make money at it. It will be a poor adventure if riches were the main motivation. Not many are interested in, what I call "niche business." That is, a business that caters to ONE THING, or nearly so, that people will come from 100's of miles. One such an example is "Li'l Bikes Restoration" a small operation restoriing and selling a small Honda 50 cc pitbike way better than Honda-new! They are on facebook by the name and have time to answer questions, take beautiful pictures and restore bikes! They appear successful. They are an excellent example.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2020, 04:32:36 PM »
The main reason people ride scooters is that they can't afford cars. whether this is the initial price of a car, the cost of fuel, or the cost to park one in a major city. Until the US becomes a country where people can't afford cars, the scooter market is going to remain about where it is.
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2020, 06:16:00 PM »
Around town I see a lot of electric scooters taking the place of the 50's.

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2020, 03:16:58 AM »
The main reason people ride scooters is that they can't afford cars. whether this is the initial price of a car, the cost of fuel, or the cost to park one in a major city. Until the US becomes a country where people can't afford cars, the scooter market is going to remain about where it is.
We are headed in that direction, if we're not there already.  Auto debt--not to mention all other types of debt--has gone way up the past few years.  Many people already can't realistically afford their 4 wheel vehicles, they just haven't reached default stage yet.  Repo men could be very busy soon.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2020, 03:36:02 AM »
We are headed in that direction, if we're not there already.  Auto debt--not to mention all other types of debt--has gone way up the past few years.  Many people already can't realistically afford their 4 wheel vehicles, they just haven't reached default stage yet.  Repo men could be very busy soon.
A lot of young people in major cities with good public transportation see a car as a hindrance . Initial cost, taxes, insurance, parking, vandalism, maintenance.  Auto ownership among young people is actually decreasing in those areas for the first time. 

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2020, 03:44:28 AM »
We'll remember that an unknown (to me) number of Kymco's are manufactured in China.
Think I'll post that question to the members.
Stig
Stig one major difference is parts availability, Kymco has a dealer network and even though bikes like  the more affordable Agility line might be made in China they are made to Kymco specifications. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()