Author Topic: Looking to the future---for me  (Read 861 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Looking to the future---for me
« on: June 12, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
At 81, working on 82, riding everyday since 1955---along the way over 1.5 million miles in N. America/Europe/ and Asia----thinking about next year's bike.    Even my 2019 XTown can be heavy for me at times----so thinking about new Like 150.   

Price and weight are fine.  Tires probably crap--- from first day would probably replace with Heidenau and "Ride On".

Accessories could be rounded up from around the world---front luggage rack/ rear rack and box for dog---I see Givi has Monolock box and rack, which mean my '98 Monokey box would not work.....but there are ways.

Initial purchase would include spare drive belt-----Windshield may take some working out----But Like, with nose close to tip of shield, could probably provide safe/buffet free/look over ride with right height----putting it way ahead of today's maxi-scooters in that area.....and into Vespa area!

Where would I ride it?  just anywhere----been living in US since 2010----bored with it, rode to 49 states in 2014 (Burgman 400 and Suzuki TU250) live in boring area (Chattanooga) and hot.

I like air cooled, just one more thing to not worry about. Road performance probably ok as long as there is around 60mph top speed.....and ability to run wide open and not blow up.....which I think is there.

New Like 150 might be fun for me----I really enjoyed my Vespa 150 in Europe...much more than the 200.Vespas of the 2 stroke type were very good in the snow for the Elephant Rally....and for the Stella Alpina in the summer in the dirt/rocks/mud/snow!

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to the future---for me
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 07:31:29 PM »
The adventure continues!

When would you purchase the new scooter, John, and what do you do with your old bikes?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 08:24:16 PM »
Sell my 2019 XTown 300i.... or let dealer take care of it.   On my Honda CB300F they were able to get ride of it at fair price---Dalton GA.  Bike had 18,000 miles---I was tired of open chain and NO CENTERSTAND.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 08:48:29 PM »
Good luck with this next chapter in your life. Even if you don't ( like it) you can trade for something different. My Yamaha Zuma 125 was sold to a older gentleman that had sold his Harley because it was to heavy but still wanted to ride.  Just sold my People 150 to a older gentleman that was getting to difficult to throw a leg over his Enduro/ duel sport last week.  The People 150 was extremely nimble and light for around town.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 10:06:05 PM »
I'm starting to consider a scooter.  Getting old, glad I live in a ranch style single level home. Stairs would get old.

starting to think the same thing on 2 wheels, I got my K-Pipe cause my V-strom is getting cumbersome, while it's great for long rides when you only get on and off every 3 hours for gas, throwing my leg over is nearly at the limits of range of motion. The K-Pipe ain't much better, the seat height is only a half inch lower. but, it's skinnier, and way undersprung for my weight, so sitting on it, I can flat foot it. A few days ago, I got my leg hung up, while dismounting.

Is it time for me to ride step thru bikes ?
RandyO
IBA#9560

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 10:26:45 PM »
Step thru nice when passenger loaded with luggage----you get on and off without a song and a dance....and no worry of falling over.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 10:38:04 PM »
but, I also know, that a few weeks of physical therapy would make it easier to get on my bikes
RandyO
IBA#9560

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 02:20:40 AM »
Some thoughts on the Like 150i.  I now have 8400 miles on mine.

The OEM tires work just fine.  Just don't expect them to last long.  My OEM rear lasted around 1800 miles.  The front lasted a lot longer.

Reliability.  I've had some problems with mine, all electrical related and all fixed under warranty.

Top speed is right around 60.  Running at 60 feels a bit strained but back off just a few miles per hour and it's very smooth and relaxed.  55 all day shouldn't be a problem.

The ride is a little rough. 

The seat is pretty comfortable, better than most small scooters.

The brakes are great. 

Expect around 70 MPG at 55 MPH.  The fuel gauge fill start flashing around 105 miles leaving about a third of a gallon in the tank.  Ride slow and you can get 100+ MPG. 

Personally if I was going to take the type of trips you like to do I'd consider an Smax instead.  It will run 70+ and has a slightly bigger tank.  It is however a bigger and heavier scooter than the Like.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 01:59:12 PM »
Is S max Yamaha Kymco powered?  I see of course more Yamaha dealers in US, 155cc makes it Freeway Legal in US.   But I think the like 150i is also Freeway legal with 13 HP---as I think 10 HP has been min. in the past.

Like for me might be best as windshield may offer buffet free ride.  Time will tell.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 03:37:46 PM »
Is S max Yamaha Kymco powered?  I see of course more Yamaha dealers in US, 155cc makes it Freeway Legal in US.   But I think the like 150i is also Freeway legal with 13 HP---as I think 10 HP has been min. in the past.

Like for me might be best as windshield may offer buffet free ride.  Time will tell.
The LIKE200i  makes about 11 HP - but NO way does it belong on an interstate.
!
The 200i and the 150i have the same wheelbase, same small wheels, and are about the same weight.....all of which play an important role on the highway. Not enough of any - to be a secure freeway ride.

It seems to me that since you are stepping down so far that you are not going to be happy with such a small scooter.
Since you only buy new - your scooter options are pretty limited in the USA. Seems like a 200 or 250 step-thru would be good for you.
But we don't have any.

A friend just quit his fairly new Vespa for a new big wheel Liberty. He is so much happier to be rid of those squirrely little wheels.
Of course, the 155cc Liberty is not a freeway scooter either - too light and too short....even if it can do 60.
In any event - good luck with your choice.

Stig
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 03:40:15 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 08:09:40 PM »
I think Freeway advice is coming who does not use it on small (but legal) scooter----slow scooter, 4 new Helix and 175,000 miles for me worked on US Freeways and Japanese Toll Roads, 150 Vespa on the Autobahn in Germany----There is always speed differential, even on my Kawasaki Concours or BMW K-75 or BMW R80RT.

Freeway much safer than surface streets in US---at least everybody is going same way!   I like slow lane, too.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 11:46:10 PM »

I had an Smax.  It has a claimed 14.8 HP vs the Claimed 13.5 for the Like 150i.  One of those figures is not accurate bacause the Smax was a lot faster than the Like.  The Smax could go over 70 MPH and was perfectly stable at that speed.  Most people report a GPS verified top speed of around 73 MPH.  The Smax is about 50 pounds heavier than the Like.  It also has slightly larger 13" wheels although it didn't seem to ride any smoother.  I thought the stock windshield on the Smax was about perfect but other people replaced it with aftermarket shields. 

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Like but for long trips I'd go with an Smax over the Like.  I have a Majesty and a Versys 650 so I don't need the extra speed of the Smax. 

On the other hand, I'm not sure how easy it will be to find an Smax right now.  Max Motorsports shows several Like 150s in inventory including one 2018 model so you might be able to get a good deal on a NOS Like.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 12:42:44 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I really like my Like but for long trips I'd go with an Smax over the Like.  I have a Majesty and a Versys 650 so I don't need the extra speed of the Smax.

What year is your Versys? I have seen several good condition 08's near here.
Become the best you can with what you have.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 12:43:17 AM »
Sorry that quote got messed up.
Become the best you can with what you have.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 02:54:38 AM »

What year is your Versys? I have seen several good condition 08's near here.

I have a 2012 that I bought new in 2014. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()