Author Topic: People 50 2T Seat Lock - HELP -  (Read 13230 times)

pedro

People 50 2T Seat Lock - HELP -
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:29:43 AM »
I recently bought my first Kymco scooter and I love every minute I've spent riding it.  However it's not perfect.  The previous owner managed to damage/remove the seat locking mechanism from my seat.  The lock cylinder is there and works fine, whats missing is the rest of the latch mechanism that looks like it should fasten to the underside of the seat with 4 philips screws.  Does anybody know if I can purchase the latch mechanism or do I have to buy an entire replacement seat?

Thanks in advance.

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: People 50 2T Seat Lock - HELP -
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 01:41:57 AM »
Congrats on your new scoot, pedro! I'm not real sure about the lock but you can look on the diagram here for your model scoot

http://kymcopartsonline.com/catalog/kymco_scooters.php?osCsid=95746fb839e7f01f7bd4e3b51e47d21b

pedro

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 02:34:33 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I found the seat listed as an assembly but nothing about the latch mechanism at all.  If somebody could look under their people 50 seat for a part number or maybe take a picture I could show to my local kymco dealer that would be greatly appreciated.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 02:54:04 AM »
Aww...sorry about that, pedro. I have the agility 50, but there's some folks here that have the people 50 that might be able to tell you. Good luck.

Enjoy that new scoot!  :)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:41:27 AM »
G'day pedro, welcome.
Hey art, ya got a parts scoot?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

pedro

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 12:40:41 PM »
Thanks for the welcome you guys.  I can't wait to derestrict my little 50cc.  I think I'll start with the variator boss, then probably the CDI next.  That ought to get me a few more MPH.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:15:27 PM »
 Welcome to the forum. I don't have a spare at the moment. Try calling these guy,I can't find a part # either. http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/73/Kymco.aspx  . Ask for a seat latch.  I Would do the cdi first If its an older one just do this in the pic. Unplug the green wires at the bottom of the unit. Good luck
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

pedro

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 01:20:37 AM »
Can anybody confirm the correct part number for the derestricted variator boss for my 2004 People 50 2T.  I have called both Kymco dealers in my area and both were unable to help me.  I have decided my local area dealers are unable to assist me and would like to order online.

Is the derestricted boss that everybody uses from another model Kymco?  Most Kymco parts websites seem to have the same part number for the boss, however Scooter Therapy has a different part number for theirs.

Thanks much.  :)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 01:25:45 AM »
I dont know the part no. but if you go by the dimensions you should be ok. you could take your existing one to a machine shop and get the shoulder skimmed off.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 01:27:32 AM »
Dealers can be very skittish about this stuff - it is illegal for them to derestrict the scooters. 

pedro

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 01:33:34 AM »
I dont know the part no. but if you go by the dimensions you should be ok. you could take your existing one to a machine shop and get the shoulder skimmed off.

I visited two different machine shops today with my stock boss in hand.  Both shops told me because it's extremely hardened steel that they couldn't cut it down on a lathe but to precision grind it down to size.  One shop told me at least an hour and a half time to retool the machine.  It'd cost me around $95-115 to get my stock one ground down to size.

Did you have your stock one machined/ground down.  If so, please let me know your secret handshake.

pedro

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »
I was able to get a derestricted variator boss from my local dealer, the part came up as a zx50 boss.  If anybody is interested I can post the part number later today.

Still no luck with my seat latch/lock.  Could somebody please take a picture of their seat latch and send it to me.

Thanks   :)

art

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »
here's a pic of the 50

art

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 04:31:34 PM »
  Here's a 150 looks like it would work also

pedro

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »
Here are some pictures of my seat.  What is the silver tube thats missing from my seat?  Any chance you could take a closer up picture of the latch itself.  I can't tell but it looks like something I might be able to construct myself.

Thanks

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()