Author Topic: Shaky front wheel.  (Read 780 times)

flying old guy

• View Profile
Shaky front wheel.
« on: June 14, 2020, 11:22:34 AM »
Hello! New to Kymco. Been riding 56 years and decided to go smaller. Just bought my 2nd scoot this week. 1st was a Yeager with 2k miles and very happy so I thought I would get another for my wife. Not so good! I picked up a 2018 Like200i with 213 miles so I did not even test ride before I bought it. Anyway, at any speed above 20mph thing shakes in the front end. It has original front tire, Kendra.  Everything seems tight. I pulled the front wheel and checked the balance and found it to be off by what I feel is a lot. I had to add 1 ounce of lead weight opposite of the valve stem. This helped some. next I tried different tire pressures and found 28lbs seems to work best, but still the bike does not ride smooth at all. If anyone has any ideas, Please help. If you would like to see the bike, I listed it on Craigslist in Maine! It's the red one. Just in case I can't straight it out. Would love to keep as my wife won't let go of the Yeager.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Shaky front wheel.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 11:42:52 AM »
Just to be clear, we have had both Yager and Like and, in my opinion, the world of difference in favor of the Yager!
Considering your riding experience, any chance the tire has a lump? The Like does have a harsh ride it seems but this is a road speed vibration, correct?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

flying old guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply. To be honest I didn't check real close for any lumps. With that said, under 20mph it seems smooth riding. I 'll check that a bit closer. I guess I should not try to compare it to the Yeager, that one seems like a much better built bike. Thanks

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 01:22:19 PM »
Don't know about better built but definitely built different with bigger OD wheels & tires and longer wheelbase.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »
If everything feels tight - and since it's a brand new scooter - how about putting on a nice set of Michelin City Grips for the Mrs.
Much better tire - and much safer in the wet.

Stick to the recommended tire pressures....25 front, 29 rear.
It rides like a scooter - and you can feel pretty much every extra pound of air you add above what is specified by Kymco!

We've had at least one LIKE owner with a poorly made Kenda. Dealer swapped them out - out of balance went away.

I'm in my 8th summer with a LIKE200i.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

flying old guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 06:55:04 PM »
Ok , Thanks for the advise. Maybe it's just me. I moved down from a 400 Burgman. May just take some getting used to. I was so discouraged I listed it for sale after owning it for 2 days. Again, Thanks

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 07:15:07 PM »
Ok , Thanks for the advise. Maybe it's just me. I moved down from a 400 Burgman. May just take some getting used to. I was so discouraged I listed it for sale after owning it for 2 days. Again, Thanks
1. I MUST hear the story of love affair with a Burg 400 going stale in two days! Only if you actually wanna tell that hangar story! No pressure, only if you really want to tell it.
2. "Flying Old Guy" has to have a story! I turned into one of those before '94 when I hung up my goggles after just 20 years. Turned into an old guy who used to fly, that is! Like #1, no pressure. Just curious. Start a new thread so I cant hijack this one! Har, har!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 07:16:48 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

flying old guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 07:38:37 PM »
NO, I sold the Burgman after riding it for 2 years as it was starting to feel heavy. Then bought the 2 Kymco's. The Yeager was first. Had it for about a week and really liked it. So I thought I'll buy another and found the Like200i about 2 hours away with 213 miles on the clock. It looked so new that I handed over the $2k and loaded it on the trailer and took it home. As soon as I unloaded it my wife jumped on it and headed down the road. About 15 minuets later she returned and said that she was keeping the Yeager and I could have the Like. I took It down the road and within 100 yards I returned home and was not happy at all. That's when, as stated in previous post I found front tire was out of balance  and the shaking improved a little but not enough. within 2 days I put it up for sale on craigslist. I'm really don't want to give up on it and as I said maybe now it's just me. I may try to replace the front tire to see if it helps. I guess I was hoping it would ride just like the Yeager.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 07:55:42 PM »
Burg for two YEARS not two DAYS! Yeah, I get it! Heavy I have heard.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 08:19:54 PM »
I bought a new Burgman 400.
Used to get a kick out of the guys on the Burgman forum complaining about the rough ride.

They need to ride a 250lb LIKE - to appreciate that their 489lb Burgmans were floating along like a Buick!

My advice to LIKE riders - Find the smoothest routes to and from your favorite riding destinations. Avoid crappy roads!
Or, buy a big wheel scooter.

Stig

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:43:29 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

flying old guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 12:18:16 AM »
Great advise. I'm glad I found this forum.

flying old guy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »
I ordered a city grip tire for the front. Will see if it helps.

flying old guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 11:26:22 PM »
 UPDATE. Received my city grip front tire and put it on. WOW!! what a difference. So much smoother ride. Still rides like a small scooter but the shake is gone. I've used Kendra tires in the past and never had a problem. So my next move is to order a city grip for the rear.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »
UPDATE. Received my city grip front tire and put it on. WOW!! what a difference. So much smoother ride. Still rides like a small scooter but the shake is gone. I've used Kendra tires in the past and never had a problem. So my next move is to order a city grip for the rear.
Good choice.
I replaced the front City Grip on my LIKE200i, with another,  after 15,000+ miles & 7 summers because I got tired of looking at it. Still had good tread.
The rear went 6 years (12,000 miles), still with tread.

Riders of monsoons (Philippines) here advised me to dump the Kendas ASAP since I was regularly riding in the rain. I was, so I did after 400 miles.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »
Good choice.
I replaced the front City Grip on my LIKE200i, with another,  after 15,000+ miles & 7 summers because I got tired of looking at it. Still had good tread.
The rear went 6 years (12,000 miles), still with tread.

Riders of monsoons (Philippines) here advised me to dump the Kendas ASAP since I was regularly riding in the rain. I was, so I did after 400 miles.

We did, if memory serves, have a LIKE rider in Austria get a pair of bad Kendas on his scoot. Dealer replaced them.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()