Author Topic: Starting to build a new shop  (Read 1038 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Starting to build a new shop
« on: June 15, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »
In the process of purchasing part of my neighbors backyard 90'x70' section and will have a new shop to store and work on my projects. Plan on a 26'x26' insulated building and will put in heat and A/C.  Talked to the city and they didn't see a issue. Made a deal with my neighbor. Had the lot survey done and waiting for the report to complete the purchase.  Getting prices this week from builders on metal buildings.
 I was bored out of my gord last winter with the covid 19. I tried the Florida thing for winter and not my cup of tea. TV is a collection of reruns.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Starting to build a new shop
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 02:35:37 PM »
Today contractors  will pour the concrete pad. Called and the building will be deleverd in a couple of weeks from sturdibuilt.  This should give the concrete enough time to cure.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 02:43:34 PM »
Sounds promising.  Keep us posted please.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 06:19:07 PM »
I'm still waiting for pictures of your fleet of scooters. Even better if we see them in your new shop!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 06:48:06 PM »
I'm still waiting for pictures of your fleet of scooters. Even better if we see them in your new shop!
I promise when I get them in my new building instead of packed like sardines willy-nilly  in the garage I will post some pictures. Now I've got a few stored in a storage facility, all the 250'S. 

Hope to bring the building in two weeks after the concrete cures.  Over the winter will put in insulation and wiring A/C and heat and hang all my lights.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 11:19:58 PM »
I'm jealous. I'd love to have a dedicated shop separate from my garage. ...Maybe someday...
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 11:31:28 PM »
I'm jealous. I'd love to have a dedicated shop separate from my garage. ...Maybe someday...
It only took me 30 years to make it happen.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 11:35:31 PM »
Today contractors  will pour the concrete pad. Called and the building will be deleverd in a couple of weeks from sturdibuilt.  This should give the concrete enough time to cure.

here in NH, slabs are required to have 4ft frost walls, concrete would be a 3 step process, first footings, then frost walls, and finally, the slab, 

how is price of steel ? wood construction is outrageous, a $2.50 2x4 now costs $7.50, a builder I know says the he has to get $350k for the spec house he's building, he sold the identical house he built last year for $250k
RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 12:28:53 AM »
here in NH, slabs are required to have 4ft frost walls, concrete would be a 3 step process, first footings, then frost walls, and finally, the slab, 

how is price of steel ? wood construction is outrageous, a $2.50 2x4 now costs $7.50, a builder I know says the he has to get $350k for the spec house he's building, he sold the identical house he built last year for $250k
Actually the building has a floor and sits on 4 skids the length of the building. If I were to build conventional construction I would have to have a footing  below the frost line 2' here then the top slab, you can do a monopour all in one step. Since I'm bringing in a building on skids I could set it directly on the ground but would have a issue with the building racking to ground irregularities. The second option was to use compacted gravel to set it on and would have been half the price of concrete but could have leveling issues down the road. Third option was a slab which should not have any issues.  Building size is 14'x40' with 9' walls. 

Building materials are outrageous and hard to come by. Wanted to match the impact resistant shingles on the house and the supplier had to scramble to come up with enough. I locked in the price before things went sky high. Had a heck of a time finding a contractor to do the concrete because everyone is booked until the first of next year.

When/if prices go down I will have a new garage built. Getting the motorcycles and scooters out of the garage was the first step.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 01:07:21 AM »
now that I am retiring, my barn that I built with the intent that it would be a shop, but due to circumstances, became an office, and file storage, is slowly turning into a shop, I have eliminated 3 of my 4 CADD workstations, and rearranged to consolidate my office needs to half the space, and now, I can get my motorcycles in thru the double door entry, eventually if I can find a place for my surveying stuff, a center 10'x12 high overhead bay door, and a lift.
RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 01:28:07 AM »
Randyo isn't it interesting we do this stuff in the last stage of our life?  If the half lot next door had not become available I probably wouldn't have done this. I noticed the price of having a survey done for the lot split had doubled since the last one I had done as well.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 02:00:24 AM »
I haven't taken on boundary work in a while, thinking of not renewing my license, but I still do a lot of septic system designs, and simple wetland delineation jobs, so I plan to keep up with my septic design, and wetland science licenses. It supplements my SS, I have found a home for my files, that I will still have access , just not as convenient as "out in the barn" but I still need 500 sqft for my Cadd station, drafting desk, light table cabinet, plotter, photocopier, laser printer, ink printer, library, and I'll be crowded, and another 100 sq ft for field equipment storage.

I wanna spend more time on my motorcycle, (V-strom 1k) some long distance touring, Alaska, and more hunting and fishing, I recently bought myself 2 new fly rods, and haven't used em yet
RandyO
IBA#9560

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 02:36:14 AM »
Plans evolve, don't they? From 26x26 to 14x40 is quite a switch. I have a friend who wanted a 12x16 to park in and now ended up with 22x32 and 2 stories! He lives upstairs.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »
Plans evolve, don't they? From 26x26 to 14x40 is quite a switch. I have a friend who wanted a 12x16 to park in and now ended up with 22x32 and 2 stories! He lives upstairs.
Yes they do, LOL. I originally wanted to build a 26x26 garage conventional construction but my access to the lot is limited to cutting through my back yard. Then if I move in the future the garage is permanent.  With the sturdibuilt it can be moved to a new location (for a fee) .  Second problem was the contractors were busy until March of next year. The 14x40 was the largest building Sturdibuilt  can build at their location and move onto the site.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 01:12:17 PM »
isn't it interesting we do this stuff in the last stage of our life?

How true. It seems like many do this when they finally have both the time and the resources to finally do it. While it would be great to do this at age 30 most aren't financially capable at that time. My kids will have to get through college, first (they are 10 and 13) which will put me at 66, and then..maybe..I can get my long desired shop!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()