Author Topic: Got my New 2018 Spade 150  (Read 744 times)

SemperVee

• View Profile
Got my New 2018 Spade 150
« on: June 17, 2020, 02:22:56 PM »
Greetings Gents,

Picked up our new 2018 Kymco Spade yesterday and generally very impressed so far.
 I Need to access a service manual if anyone knows where I can get that?   **  Unloaded the bike and home got it warmed up and under power I am hearing a horribly loud WHINE. Never experienced a sound like this in my all my MC experience.   I pulled over and put it on the center stand and revved and it is not coming from the engine, thank goodness.  I plan on pulling the wheels and checking to see if there is any grease on the axels and adjusting the chain.  Will be checking every nut and bolt this morning before heading out to full fill gas and chase down the whine..   UGH.    The owners manual is mostly a joke written in horrible grammer like the Japanese  motorcycle manuals of the 1970's!!  That matches this UJM style 1970's bike!  :^)   It is a real hoot running thru the gears.

More impressed  with the MC than the dealer who I got it from.  It is a left over 2018 Spade 150 in beautiful denim blue. Got it loaded and home home only to find the tires only had 13 psi of pressure and that  LOUD WHINE coming from the MC engine running under load.  I suspect NO PDI was done even though they said it was.  I am kicking myself this morning for not being more aggressive with the dealer about  info on the MC but I was 2 hours away in the rain in Kirkland WA trying to get it loaded and headed home. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 02:46:03 PM by SemperVee »
2018 Kymco Spade 150
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2011 Kymco i300 DT (sold)
Many miles and smiles over 47 years of MC riding.
USMC Airwing Retired in Seattle WA

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Got my New 2018 Spade 150
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 04:42:11 PM »
Just curious does it have proper level of oil or any oil in it?  I beleive they are shipped dry.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 04:54:33 PM »
Great looking machine! Like KK said, get on that dipstick if you haven't already, like a good airdale would anyway! Chain drive? Chain too tight will howl as well.

Dealers generally get the low man on the tech stick to break the crate and put them together. I have done PDI on the machines I have bought and to demo and found glaring things missed or never checked.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 05:41:04 PM »
   Yes it had oil as it comes with a oil sight window!!  How is that for high tech..   Just like my Suzuki VStrom!
Out to check all the nuts and bolts and take it out for gas  and pre ride before letting GF on it later...  :^)
2018 Kymco Spade 150

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 10:55:08 PM »
Great looking machine! Like KK said, get on that dipstick if you haven't already, like a good airdale would anyway! Chain drive? Chain too tight will howl as well.

Dealers generally get the low man on the tech stick to break the crate and put them together. I have done PDI on the machines I have bought and to demo and found glaring things missed or never checked.

I second the idea that it could be a too tight chain.  I had that happen with a new bike I bought.  Once I adjusted the chain the howling went away.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 11:34:23 PM »
   Yes it had oil as it comes with a oil sight window!!  How is that for high tech..   Just like my Suzuki VStrom!
Out to check all the nuts and bolts and take it out for gas  and pre ride before letting GF on it later...  :^)

My Suzuki Burgman had to be OFF of the center stand, and held level - to get an accurate read in the oil window.
So you squat in a puddle at the gas station, hold the 489lb scoot level with one hand, flashlight in your other hand and check your oil level.
Thanks, but I'll take a $.50 dipstick.
Hopefully Kymco lets you do it on the center stand?

Nice looking bike - they're bigger in person than I'd imagined.
My dealer has had a couple on the floor all winter.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 04:34:49 PM »
My Suzuki Burgman had to be OFF of the center stand, and held level - to get an accurate read in the oil window.
So you squat in a puddle at the gas station, hold the 489lb scoot level with one hand, flashlight in your other hand and check your oil level.
Thanks, but I'll take a $.50 dipstick.
Hopefully Kymco lets you do it on the center stand?

Nice looking bike - they're bigger in person than I'd imagined.
My dealer has had a couple on the floor all winter.

Stig

On center stand very easy to see sight glass for oil.  Looking to finish break in,  seat squealing brake pads and then commence with upgrades! 
2018 Kymco Spade 150

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 04:55:30 PM »
Glad you found the noise. Have fun with the new bike. How does your S/O like the bike?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 04:29:11 PM »
Glad you found the noise. Have fun with the new bike. How does your S/O like the bike?

She loves it. We are  finding the few accessories made for it very challenging.
2018 Kymco Spade 150

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()