Author Topic: Just picked up a 2014 Like and it only had 74 miles. Question  (Read 267 times)

mettyfish

• View Profile
An older man bought this bike new in 14 and came down with a sickness. Olny had 74 miles when I brought it home yesterday. His son was selling for the father. Don't know tha history of the maint. Probably none but a new battery in March. Runs perfect as I drove it about 30 miles tonight and around half throttle. Would you all change motoroill and gear oil due to age? And what about break in. I would assume I need to follow some break in rules? Thanks for any help. Have not been on forum for years. Sold my People S a couple years ago. Good to be back. Thx, Mark

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Re: Just picked up a 2014 Like and it only had 74 miles. Question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 04:00:25 AM »
I would change all fluids. Also check the fuel lines and all the other rubber lines and parts.

Even though the tires look like new, you will need a new set ASAP.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

mettyfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 04:16:11 AM »
Not sure on the tires. This scoot was parked in a garage it's whole life under a cover. Tires look brand new. Other opinions on tires?

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
Six year old tyres?  I'd run them, but check regularly for any signs of cracking, particularly on the sidewalls.  Scooters don't do too much in the way of speed (all sub-three figure) and braking and cornering forces are lower than on a motorcycle. 

If you're of a nervous disposition, change them out; I'd recommend Michelin City Grips.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 10:01:56 AM »
Break in is no full throttle, change throttle setting frequently, load and unload engine gently....for at least 600 miles. Gradually increase speed over those 600 miles.
And, yeah give tires a good look....and remembering that most/many cars are running around on 6yr old tires.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()