Author Topic: How many who have a big wheel scooter now wish they had smaller wheels?  (Read 667 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
So, you've ridden your 16"/14" wheel scooter …..but now you wish you had a 12"/12" wheel scooter.

Or, your over-all ride experience improved when you went back to those smaller wheels.

Anyone?

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
wait...I got distracted...what are we riding, here?  :)
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
I have owned a big wheeled scooter, medium wheeled scooters and one with 12" wheels.  I like(d) them all.   I recently got the chance to ride a Vespa 250GTV.  It had a very good ride and it has 12" wheels. 

Of all the scooters I have owned I think my Super 8 with 14" wheels probably had the best combination of ride and handling.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another small wheel scooter in the future.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
I used to ride something with 10" wheels. It took a bit of getting used to but I never felt unsafe, particularly.

I miss the sheer variety of tyre sizes and the bargain basement prices for them. When I first started courier work I was on a Pulse Scout (Chineseium, but it did very well) on 10" wheels - 4 stroke 50cc - the Anlas Winter Grips that I had fitted to it were awesome. Great in heavy rain and cold temperatures and cheap as chips - I had different wheels for winter and summer :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
Anything with big wheels is going to roll over crap roads or trails better than smaller wheels.  Its the reason 29ers have won out over 26" and 27.5" in bicycles.  If it weren't for the traditional Vespa small wheel scooter look,  the small wheel premium scooters might die out. CLEARLY, Europeans and Asians have embraced larger wheels wholeheartedly and overwhelmingly.

If I were buying my first premium scooter today, it would not be a small wheeled scooter. Would I add one  (a Vespa) later? Sure!
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
My VW Beetle's 15" tires outlasted all the other imports with the little wheels. Put radials on a Beetle ….and they may outlive the owner! (remember, car owners don't run around waving their arms and screaming, "my tires are over 3 yrs old!")
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
The most sold motorcycle in history(Honda Super Cub 90) had 17 inch wheels if my memory is correct. 2.5-3inch by 22 inch scooter wheels are awesome(older Lifan wheel design). Fuel economy was up there.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
I did not notice a big difference between my Lambretta uno  150 small wheel  and the people 150 big wheel.   

I just bought a Grandvista maxi- scooter with 12" wheels front and back. Low-speed handling doesn't seem a stable as my Xciting's.  I will give you a update when I get it tagged and insured  with more saddle time.  It good be front fork geometry as well that makes a difference.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
The most sold motorcycle in history(Honda Super Cub 90) had 17 inch wheels if my memory is correct. 2.5-3inch by 22 inch scooter wheels are awesome(older Lifan wheel design). Fuel economy was up there.

Yes, 2.50-17. Or that's what's on mine, anyway.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Yes, 2.50-17. Or that's what's on mine, anyway.

Ah, but is it on the road yet?
 ;)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Ah, but is it on the road yet?
 ;)

It's MOTed but the front tyre is rubbing, going to replace it on Payday!
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
It's MOTed but the front tyre is rubbing, going to replace it on Payday!
Sounding good.  What tyre manufacturer d'you favour?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
I'm happy with my K-pipe's 17" wheels instead of the 12" wheels on the Honda Grom & Kawasaki Z125Pro
RandyO
IBA#9560

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
How easy a change was it. I bent my cast alloy rim and am looking at options for when replacement time comes around.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Just got my GV insured and licensed today anxious to take it on a trial run tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to see how a small (12") wheel maxi-scooter performs.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()