Author Topic: most likely to get killed in my own neighborhood!  (Read 1072 times)

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re: most likely to get killed in my own neighborhood!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 10:10:46 AM »
I have about 9000 miles on my 2103 Supper 8. I don't think I have ever gone thru a major intersection wo looking all ways to make sure someone isn't running a red light.

I also watch for parked cars off to the side running whose wheels are turned to the road as if they may pull out.I may sound my horn when passing them.

I also do not stop in traffic right behind a car and leave a good gap in case the car behind me is distracted and may rear end me. If I feel the car behind me is not stopping, maybe I can then move to the side. So Im constantly looking through my rear view mirror.

Any car in the opposing lane that is taking a left turn, I will try to move right a bit to give extra room to try and avoid but thats hard if it happens and one of the biggest causes of cycle accidents.

I use hand signals a lot when turning and cars are behind me just in case they dont see my turn signals.

I wear bright clothing and have added led light to brighten up my front end and rear end.

I always assume cars are blinded by the sun. I always assume cars are texting.

Having to be constantly nervous and defensive takes some of the fun out of scooter driving, but its necessary. I make sure some low ridden country roads are part of my trip as most of my scooter riding is recreational.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:15:03 AM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »
Chris some very good advice.  A lot of the things you are saying is taught by Smith driving courses taught by most fortune 500 companies. At work had to take it every year along with fire training, cpr-first aid and a bucket load of cbt's
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 10:54:27 AM »
Thanks.

You just don't buy a 49cc scooter and ride it because it doesn't require a MC endorsement. You need to study how to ride it as safely as possible. It really concerns me when you see teens buying the VIP's form a big lot store and they are off riding around in sandals and no helmet. I have taken it seriously for the start and still have what happened to one of our members that lost his leg in the back of my mind to this day when I'm out on the streets.

If anyone wants me to be quiet and sit down and listen to them, just talk to me about scooter safety and defensive driving. I have seen so much of what can and has happened to scooter riders that take things to casually or drive recklessly it scares me to be the safest I can. A lot of what I've seen has been from Asia were they are just crazy with their scooters.

Kinda reminds of of the old days when the would show the video Signal 30 in MV school to scare new drivers. (thats actually on youtube)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:05:17 AM by Chris0381 »
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 11:51:15 PM »
I don't normally like posting Live Leak vids on forums but sometimes we can learn from reality.

SFW

But this is why I don't like to just motor through intersections. I like to pause a bit ans see what the traffic on the sides streets of the intersection are doing.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kfNtT_1593195786
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 12:24:51 AM »
Was at Dan's Cycle  Saturday and parked out  back was a Honda gold wing trike. The trike had been hit by a car on the left rear cornor. The impact sent the bike sliding sideways until it straightened out and rolled over on the rider killing him. If it would have been a second later the car would have missed the bike because it only caught the back 18" of the bike.  Very tragic indeed. 

To be honest I was a little apprehensive about selling my People 150. I figured a inexperienced rider might purchase and didn't want the responsibility of them hurting  themselves. I was relieved when it was purchased by a older gentleman to replace his tall dual sport bike.

I cringe when I see  people riding in flip flops shorts and no protective gear and not really paying attention but not a darn thing I can do about it. I received several calls on the People 150 from young people wanting a scooter they didn't need a motorcycle license for. I would try to explain if they took a rider safety course they would receive a certificate that would enable them to get a motorcycle license.  They didn't want to hear that, instant gratification I guess.

I know two people locally that have lost their sons to bike accidents, one my next door neighbor.  He goes out every so often to cut the grass  by the side of the highway where he was killed and a white cross is located. The other was a ridding buddy of mine from the seventies. His son was killed in Hutchison KS at a intersection.  When my cousin was killed (a motorcycle safety instructor) in 2003 I seriously thought of giving up riding. I enjoy it to much and I will die sooner or later anyway so why not enjoy life while your here.

So if I get a little prechy on safety you know why.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:49:45 AM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 05:26:22 AM »
From training class. Lesson number One. You get on two wheels you take your life in your hands.
 I wanted to add to the conversation with don't be in a hurry to pull out into an intersection as soon as the light turns green.  I have seen red light runners too many times. I take time to actually turn my head left and right and not just be moving my eyes.
Ride long and Prosper.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »
People trying to use a yellow light or the moment between changes are a common danger here in town.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 07:51:01 PM »
People trying to use a yellow light or the moment between changes are a common danger here in town.
Daughter's supervisor got nailed coming in to work yesterday --- turning on an 'orange' light. A lady sped up to get through it. (no insurance, expired license)
Good lesson for my daughter.
WAIT, for your green turn arrow.
Stig

A few years ago, as a passenger,  with some coworkers, going to our Xmas luncheon - our idiot young driver seriously sped up ('floored it') as we approached the tunnel of stopped cars at a large multi-lane & congested intersection.
A block down the street, I got out of the car. Flagged a ride with another coworker.
Ruined our already lousy work relationship for a few weeks, until he was fired for other stupidities.

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()