Author Topic: Need advice on how to deal with a obstinate teenager (not mine)  (Read 638 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
I'm in the process of buying some of my neighbors yard to build a shop/storage for motorcycles and scooters.  Problem is the guy that owns it let his  nephew  park a car he was going to restore. The car has sat there for over a year with flat tires and bad head gasket in a car that's trashed and not worthy of restoration.  The teenager does not even have the skills to change his own oil. It's not licensed as well.

Now the problem the only way to get equipment in is by the driveway this derelict car occupies.  The uncle has asked him to move it several times and his nephew blows him off. I didn't want to get involved but want to get this done. 

I thought about calling the nephew and stating I had a shared service agreement for the driveway and need the car moved. Or should I stay out of it and let the uncle handle it?

In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on how to deal with a obstinate teenager (not mine)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 01:37:41 PM »
My opinion is unique in that I have the view point of a teenager. Good luck getting one to make up their mind to do something. Depending on how broke said teen is, a very small persuasive bribe may be all that is needed.

P.S. I have no authority to advise on this matter. Disregard my opinion at will.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:00:43 PM by TBR125 »
Become the best you can with what you have.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 02:10:52 PM »
All opinions welcolme, just trying not to be a prick about it. I remember being broke as a teenager even though it was a few years ago. LOL

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 02:22:18 PM »
"I'm in the process of buying some of my neighbors yard "

I'd figure out where else you can move this heap while they are working on your project.  your yard somewhere, perhaps?  Offer to help push it.  Trade an old scooter for it and sell the car for scrap?  I would try to NOT make any ultimatums or tell half truths. or get between family. You have to live next door to your neighbor, so use the carrot, not the stick!
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 03:00:15 PM »
can you just move the car (push it, drag it) far enough off to the side to get your equipment by?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 03:14:11 PM »
I'd try to catch the kid after he's just made a run for more cigs & Mt Dew, and he's all happy, and explain to him why you need to move his car.
No telling how the uncle has approached him on it.
Maybe the kid would respond well to an offer of a little mechanical training/help/advice with his project.
Hopefully there IS some logical place to move it to?...or would it have to be towed away?

GOOD luck!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 04:00:32 PM »
Stig it would have to be towed. If I put it on the street it would be red tagged by the police because of no licence tag. No real alternatives for on the property. The uncle wants it gone as well. The nephew has lost interest in it and out of site out of mind. I don't even think the nephew realizes that he will have to pay back taxes and tag fees along with penalties that are added every month to get it licensed.  Those fees alone are more then the car is worth. 

Someone suggested purchasing the car and have it hauled away. The issue of back taxes and fees have to be paid for it to be sold. If he sells it to a scrap yard they wouldn't.  No way in hades that I would move it on to my property to be a permanent yard ornament. I keep my yard watered, edged, trimmed and take pride in it. A call to the city would have it red tagged but want to give the nephew every  chance to deal with it.

The nephew was told the car had a bad head gasket by his uncle but didn't believe him and paid several hundred dollars to a mechanic to be told the same thing.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 04:19:18 PM by Kansas kymco »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 04:36:35 PM »
"I'm in the process of buying some of my neighbors yard "

I'd figure out where else you can move this heap while they are working on your project.  your yard somewhere, perhaps?  Offer to help push it.  Trade an old scooter for it and sell the car for scrap?  I would try to NOT make any ultimatums or tell half truths. or get between family. You have to live next door to your neighbor, so use the carrot, not the stick!
The uncle owns a construction company and his wife is a doctor that live in a exclusive area. This house is a rental he completely redone top to bottom a couple of years ago. His step son lives there and is a good person. The nephew (temporarily) was going to store the car there and does not live at the house.

You don't know me but I from the generation that was taught to tell the truth.  (Not half lies) I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible in dealing with this.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »
Belligerent youth may be more willing to oblige if they feel their property is valued. For instance, it could be presented as, it needs to be moved to protect and prevent damage of impact to aforementioned valuable vehicle.

Good luck(non-sarcastic)
Become the best you can with what you have.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()