Author Topic: What was your first Kymco scooter and what led to your initial purchase?  (Read 1029 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Mine was a 2009 Kymco 250 Xciting I purchased from a dealer in Missouri.  I bought it to take up to Ely MN to ride to town for errands/lunch.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
I got a 2016 Kymco Agility 125 from my older brother who bought it for a commute vehicle until he got a car. I am doing the same but will keep the bike as I have no younger siblings interested in two wheels.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Sold off my VW Jetta, which had suffered a quarter of a century in the Rust Belt, for a 2013 LIKE200iLX.
Its job was 365 work commuting.
First two wheeler since Hondas in the 60's.
Got lucky - it's been a great scooter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
Mine XTown 300i ABS, 2019,, my 11th new Maxiscooter since 1990---over 400,000 miles with them.  I use scooter for all my transportation needs.

300i is really stretched 250, way over weight, tire sensitive (crappy OEM) tires, bad air management (like all of the other maxiscooters on the US market---BMW scooter might be best!)

Only thing standard model missing----parking brake----seems to be easier to work on than Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha scooters.  Plastic better/Windshield mounting system=the best.

Other than being a little heavy, works great for my daily use---I make no mods other than decent windshield/top box for dog.    Wonder about 10,000 mile belt change intervals.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
I've told my story a few times but here goes..I was initially searching for a 1980 Honda Express moped, like the one I wanted so badly in 1980 when I was 14. My parents said no way..so at age 49 I decided to find one. They are still quite plentiful, believe it or not. Logic got the better of me and I started looking for a 2003-2005 2 stroke Zuma 50 to hot rod up. Those Zumas are pricey..still going for close to $1000, if you can find one.

then I realized that to get out of my small town I would have to be able to hit 50 mph as almost all roads out hit at least that.

So my search turned to 150cc + scooters. There were not many available but I saw a Kymco People S200 for sale at the local scooter shop  . (it was an employee's scoot, he was selling it through the dealer). I did a lot of research on Kymcos and it was all positive.

Took a test ride, was grinning from ear to ear, and bought it on the spot. it will be 5 years in September.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
I bought my first motorcycle in 1956. It was a 98cc NSU Fox with a capability similar to a scooter.
After a dozen or so motorcycles through the years, my last motorcycle was a Kawasaki KLR 650.
My bad hip began to make riding this tall and topheavy bike a hassle to ride.
Looking for something smaller and easier, I saw a Like 150i ABS and immediately knew what I wanted.
I traded without first riding the scooter and have never looked back.

My first (and current) scooter
Like 150i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
1960 in Yokosuka, Japan (pronounced "Yo-kooska") bought a brand new 1960 Honda Hawk 250 and brought it back to the states. Second was a '66 Yamaha YM-1, better finish than Honda, everything great but breaker point ignition was troublesome throughout. A cdi would have fixed that. Restored a '55 BSA and used it as a daily rider until I got a company car in '77. Did not ride even a bicycle until 2007 and we got an Agility 50 and a Yamaha Vino 50. Had a blast! That led to the Yager and the Buddy then to the DT and People 300i scoots. I would still have the Yager 200i if she had not INSISTED getting me on a new bike when we had her that Like between the Buddy and the People! These CVT EFI scoots are just the ticket! Smooth, quiet, stable and powerful. Cruise up and over any highway hill you would find.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ernst

• View Profile
Salvage 2010 People S 250.
Plastic had been damaged but not the frame or power train.
2008 miles on it in 2014. 25,000 on it now and still running strong.
No regrets buying salvage.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
My first scooter was a 2009 Kymco Super 8 150.  I bought it mainly for commuting but it was so much fun I was soon doing much more than just commuting.  I took it to the dragon.  I did a 5 day trip in the Blue Ridge mountains.  I put over 33,000 miles on it. 

I have bought four more scooters since that Super 8 but the Super 8 was my first and I will always remember it as one of the most fun bikes I have owned.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
My first scooter was a 2009 Kymco Super 8 150.  I bought it mainly for commuting but it was so much fun I was soon doing much more than just commuting.  I took it to the dragon.  I did a 5 day trip in the Blue Ridge mountains.  I put over 33,000 miles on it. 

I have bought four more scooters since that Super 8 but the Super 8 was my first and I will always remember it as one of the most fun bikes I have owned.

looks like you were close to dragging the kickstand. I have done that myself a couple of times.

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
My first/only Kymco is my Downtown 300i. Once I finally decided that 300cc/30hp/fuel injected  was what I  really wanted, I  made a list of about 6 scooters to be looking out for. The Downtown  and People 300 were among those on the list, and it was the Downtown that I found first at the right price. That was 6 months and about 3500 miles ago...
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
My first/only Kymco is my Downtown 300i. Once I finally decided that 300cc/30hp/fuel injected  was what I  really wanted, I  made a list of about 6 scooters to be looking out for. The Downtown  and People 300 were among those on the list, and it was the Downtown that I found first at the right price. That was 6 months and about 3500 miles ago...
How does the DT300  compare to the BV 350?

XC300Ri

• View Profile
My first maxi scooter was Kymco Xciting 250 2008. I bought it at the end of the year 2008. (three month old) and drove it for 5 great years, without any problem 30.000km and then vacuum membrane get broken, that was very cheep problem. I bought it because it was the biggest maxi then for me (I'm almost 2m high). now I bought XC300Ri 2010. and I hope to enjoj like with the old one.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
My 2019 XTown 300i, bought on power output (just right for me after a 125) and price. About £1,000 cheaper than the Kawasaki J300 I was also looking at. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
My first and only was the Like200 I had for about a year.

I sold my Address 110 (in hinesight, a mistake) when I moved up Norf, but missed riding so picked up a Like200 because it was cheap. I kept it for about 12 months and toured Ireland and Scotland on it before my back started to play up and so I had a riding break for a while after that.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()