Author Topic: Our first 100 degree day this year  (Read 585 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Our first 100 degree day this year
« on: June 29, 2020, 11:42:48 AM »
Tomorrow it's supposed to hit 101F . While it makes little difference it has been running in the upper 90's F .  It doesn't seem that long ago it was to cold to ride now to hot except early morning's.  Think I'll take the GV on a trial run this morning and come back and edge the the drive and walks.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Our first 100 degree day this year
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:14:05 PM »
and I'm whining....??

Just this morning I was telling my pup it is too d_mn humid to be doing this!

"It is so muggy that a man should only be out riding on his scooter in a mesh jacket!!"....and not out here walking a dog for an hour.
Look, the sun is not even up yet!!

She just looked at me....I could tell she was thinking, "Ya' know, Pops - You're lucky to have me ….a younger guy could have picked me out of that box at the Fairfield Mall pet store."

Where we started...

Actually, this little gal has been a blessing, after I lost my daughter a couple of yrs ago.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »
Not so much of whining as a observation, I can't do a thing about it. I will just restructure my day around it. This morning do outside tasks to around noon then break for lunch. This afternoon will clear the dinning room table and put my new seat cover on for my Xicting 250 in A/C comfort.

Still waiting to here back from the windscreen supplier in Greese. Probably like US cycle dealers and closed on Mondays?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:31:11 PM by Kansas kymco »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 12:46:37 PM »
Not so much of whining as a observation, I can't do a thing about it. I will just restructure my day around it. This morning do outside tasks to around noon then break for lunch. This afternoon will clear the dinning room table and put my new seat cover on for my Xicting 250 in A/C comfort.

Still waiting to here back from the windscreen supplier in Greese. Probably like US cycle dealers and closed on Mondays?

I remember standing in formation at this time of year, before sunrise, feeling the sweat run down the center of my spine, fully layered in thick cotton, in San Antonio. Army Medic training.....while they took roll-call to see if anyone died overnight in their bunks.
"You want A/C? - join the AirForce!"

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
Just got back from Killeen Texas last week close to Ft Hood. The humidity there was extremely high my shirt was soaked just taking the Collies on a short walk.

Stig now at least you have a choice.  I remember when I was young hand digging a ditch in a a manifold area where you couldn't use machinery for electric conduit.  Despite drinking lots of water I came down with heat exhaustion. Stopped sweating got sick to my stomach and about passed out. They rushed me to the A/C control room .

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 07:25:24 PM »
Just got back from Killeen Texas last week close to Ft Hood. The humidity there was extremely high my shirt was soaked just taking the Collies on a short walk.

Stig now at least you have a choice.  I remember when I was young hand digging a ditch in a a manifold area where you couldn't use machinery for electric conduit.  Despite drinking lots of water I came down with heat exhaustion. Stopped sweating got sick to my stomach and about passed out. They rushed me to the A/C control room .

THE hottest I've ever felt was the day I walked out the door atop the steps of a 707 at Bien Hoa airfield.
After boarding in Sea-Tac and 20 hours in that chartered plane - it was a heat, humidity and stink the likes of which none of us will forget.
I think it was a Flying Tiger airliner, but most of the commercial airlines had govt. contracts for ferrying troops from the States.
We made a refueling stop at Honolulu airport - and no one was surprised that 3 guys went missing. They actually turned us loose in the terminal! Guy on the plane said he saw one go into restroom with packages, came out dressed in shorts, flip-flops and flowered shirt, went out front and hailed a cab!
I bought 3 postcards - mailed them home to buddies, "Wish you were here. Loving Hawaii!" So, I've been in Hawaii --- for 3 hours.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 07:52:16 PM »
Last summer, North Georgia had 90+ days of 90+F temperatures.  This year, it's almost July and we haven't reached 90 even once. It has rained for a half hour nearly every single day.  I have been dodging raindrops for most of June, and the 10 day outlook has more of the same.  Some shaded areas have been in a permanent state of wet! When I head out on a ride, some part of my path is in rain, and the rain is gone by the time I get there.
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 02:38:48 AM »
  Seems the older I get I like the heat more.   hit ninety last week and it was perfect for me humdidity was near 90 percent too,  my wind visor was getting wet with no rain,.   only ride were there is no stop-lights, 

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 02:48:37 AM »
  Seems the older I get I like the heat more.   hit ninety last week and it was perfect for me humdidity was near 90 percent too,  my wind visor was getting wet with no rain,.   only ride were there is no stop-lights,
I'm just the opposite dislike extreme heat or cold. When I was younger I tolerated  hot and cold better.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 11:19:15 PM »
Friday the heat index will be 110F with actual temperature of 104F. Thankfully  for A/C .

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 02:44:02 PM »
Friday the heat index will be 110F with actual temperature of 104F. Thankfully  for A/C .
Looking ahead for a reasonably cool day to tackle the first belt & roller change on my Liberty150i. (at 10,000Km)
I know how things are going to go - no matter how simple it should be - because it is the first time into that part of the scooter.
Just have to suck it up - get a fan set up and the tools, and band aides......mid 90's.
Was hoping I'd make it to the fall - but someone's been sneaking that scooter out too often.

Wonder if they super-glued the belt cover on, like Kymco?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 03:57:07 PM »
Looking ahead for a reasonably cool day to tackle the first belt & roller change on my Liberty150i. (at 10,000Km)
I know how things are going to go - no matter how simple it should be - because it is the first time into that part of the scooter.
Just have to suck it up - get a fan set up and the tools, and band aides......mid 90's.
Was hoping I'd make it to the fall - but someone's been sneaking that scooter out too often.

Wonder if they super-glued the belt cover on, like Kymco?

Stig
Stig for that very reason I'm putting in a widow A/C into the new shop. I'm tired of sweat running into my eyes while I'm trying to work.  May the fan be with you.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 04:12:55 PM »
I don't recall it ever getting over 100 here in N. Alabama in the 7+ years I have been here but the heat index has been over 100.

The worst heat I have ever felt was getting off a plane in Bahrain in August.  It was 99 degrees with extremely high humidity.  I was soaked in sweat within a minute.  I had flown in from Sicily where the highs had been 115+ every day but with low humidity.  Sicily was downright comfortable compared to Bahrain.

If you really want hot then head over to the Lut desert in Iran which has seen temperatures as high as 159 Degrees!
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 04:23:38 PM »
High humidity will limit temperatures but will feel worse because the body cannot cool itself with evaporation. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()