Author Topic: Do you feel are gas powered scooters will become obsolete?  (Read 1100 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Do you feel are gas powered scooters will become obsolete?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »
Kansas has the highest percentage supplied by wind power 36% I beleive.  I have rode by a very large wind farm on my scooter early morning without a single blade turning. Power needs still need to be met.  Nuclear or natural gas fired energy plants cannot be simply turned off and on and run continues  regardless of wind power. The excess is sold on the energy market to other states.

Another thing people don't take into account is the mining of materials used to make batteries that is very toxic. Kansas is a prime example of what coal and lead mining has done to the environment.  Where the coal strip mines were located has been reclaimed and is usable.  Where the lead mines were located the towns were purchased by the government as a toxic environment that will probably not ever be inhabited again. Look where the mines are to produce the materials for batteries and they are already having issues with the limited number in use.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 03:27:00 PM »
yeah, with current technology there's no way we can replace all gas engines. I'm thinking futuristic...like a time when we have a power source the size of a D cell battery that provides the power to travel 300 miles. Throw a few of those in a bag and you can ride across the country with no need for old fashioned plug in recharging stations! (just dreaming, here)

When the roads become up-scaled wireless chargers:) But who knows where things will go in a lifetime, one generation went from covered wagons to a man on the moon.
Become the best you can with what you have.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 03:31:13 PM »
Kansas has the highest percentage supplied by wind power 36% I beleive.  I have rode by a very large wind farm on my scooter early morning without a single blade turning. Power needs still need to be met.  Nuclear or natural gas fired energy plants cannot be simply turned off and on and run continues  regardless of wind power. The excess is sold on the energy market to other states.

Another thing people don't take into account is the mining of materials used to make batteries that is very toxic. Kansas is a prime example of what coal and lead mining has done to the environment.  Where the coal strip mines were located has been reclaimed and is usable.  Where the lead mines were located the towns were purchased by the government as a toxic environment that will probably not ever be inhabited again. Look where the mines are to produce the materials for batteries and they are already having issues with the limited number in use.

Look what sulfur off-gas from copper mining/smelting did to Ducktown. Kingston coal plant alone up toward Knoxville uses 14,000 tons of coal per day. That equates to emissions for many cars. Electricity is never emission free when you look at processes of manufacture.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 04:20:33 PM »
I think the fairground dodgem car idea has some mileage (pardon the pun)

Every road will be covered with an overhead electrified chicken wire mesh gantry and the vehicle simply extends a pole to the mesh and hey presto, clean green constant power. No need for batteries etc.

The only downside is having the pikey fairground worker hanging off the back of your vehicle (particularly if you are female) asking if you want to go faster and grabbing the steering wheel every once in a while.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 12:58:23 AM »
I would like to see more research into tidal energy,  the most reliable energy source on the planet, moving the electricity to where it need to be used  is another. Tides in downeast Maine could supply the whole country
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 11:20:00 AM »
Sure, at some point.
But uhhhh, at my age - doubt it'll be an issue for me when it comes.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 03:12:11 AM »
Once solid-state batteries become mainstream, then we can charge them in minutes instead of hours. Once happens electric bikes will flood the market.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 09:31:17 PM »
A hybrid would be cool. Small gas generator and electric bike/scooter.
If you are going to go a long distance let the generator extend the range.
If this is a Maxi Scooter then the generator could run independent to recharge while rider(s) take a stop.
I could see something as large as the Myroad 7001 being electric and hybrid.
We get a 150 ish mile range now on the 700i .If the hybrid can make it 300 miles well I would be ready to get off that seat a couple of hours for recharging and some refreshments.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:47:40 PM by Ernst »

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »
I know that one day, scooters will be obsolete,  we will have speeders with no wheels, a power module that will be good for the lifetime of te speeder and beyond, I've seen em in the movies.  How long ago did Jules Verne write fiction of going to the moon, and we made that reality 50 years ago, probably not in my lifetime, but I bet that I already have living progeny that will see it
RandyO
IBA#9560

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2020, 09:26:21 PM »
I drive old stuff anyway to save on taxes and insurance.

I'm with you in principle except there';s no saving in insurance or taxes where I live.  But I save a bundle by driving old-tech scooters with carburetor, 2010 and older.  I can't afford to take a fuel injected machine to a dealer if it won't start! So an electric scoot would suit me just fine.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()