Author Topic: Do you feel are gas powered scooters will become obsolete?  (Read 1099 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
With the advancement in electric motorcycles do you feel are scooters will become obsolete before long?  No more CVT just a electronic   speed control, fuel tank replaced with a battery.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Do you feel are gas powered scooters will become obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »
that's a great question...and one that also applies to motorcycles and cars. I think until battery and recharging technology advance to the point where we can have the same range and the same fill up (recharge) time we'll still have internal combustion engines.

Once the price, performance, run time, recharge time, etc. is the equal or better than gas engines will probably be the time we start making the switch.

It's one of those things where it's not the question of 'if' we will make the change but 'when'.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 11:02:47 PM »
great if your travels are within grid destinations, it's easier to strap on a jug of gas than a generator that needs that jug o gas, or bulky solar panels ....... and power from the jug of gas is immediate, now wait for recharge.

I don't carry a cell phone either, cause they are generally useless beyond the grid of towers 
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 12:00:47 AM »
I would definitely consider an electric scoot or cycle IF recharge time could match refueling time. Meanwhile, I will remain with gasoline.

I am happy there are wealthy people who simply must have the first of the next new thing so their funds help development.  Meanwhile....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 01:20:41 AM »
I believe the 50cc and lower scoots can and are being replaced by electric drive. Lifan's LF1200DT was fairly successful in even third world markets such as Belize. Granted with only 8,800 square miles of land it was only 30 miles east to west. As previously stated the range but more importantly the recharge time will be the limiting factor. Extra range and power is easy to get with more cells, but I don't think people will want a machine that won't handle all of a days driving on one charge.

My favorite story showcasing the recharge draw back of electric transport was when an acquaintance drove 4 hours to Atlanta to trade his Toyota Camry for a Nissan leaf but had to stop every 1.5 hours for a 3 hr recharge on his return. He sold the vehicle the same week.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 01:29:47 AM »
I would definitely consider an electric scoot or cycle IF recharge time could match refueling time. Meanwhile, I will remain with gasoline.

I am happy there are wealthy people who simply must have the first of the next new thing so their funds help development.  Meanwhile....
Crossbolt I'm with you on this. I drive old stuff anyway to save on taxes and insurance. 

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 08:32:14 AM »
I do agree that it's a matter of when rather than if. I think I will just about see the end of petrol in my lifetime and the general adoption of electric vehicles but it'll probably be quite a close thing!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 10:29:32 AM »
At 81, I will not have to worry about electric replacing gas.   Think trips/recharge time/hassle/weight, etc.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
I do agree that it's a matter of when rather than if. I think I will just about see the end of petrol in my lifetime and the general adoption of electric vehicles but it'll probably be quite a close thing!
I'd agree with you Viper but for one consideration.  I'm sure that I read somewhere that there are not enough known reserves of the metals needed for (current technology) batteries to replace out all of the current internal combustion engines.  If true we may rather be waiting for either new technology batteries or reliable hydrogen power cells?

Either way, yes I'd happily switch over to an eco alternative powered scoot.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 11:50:09 AM »
maybe it's cause of my work as a land use consultant, I live in a rural area, and instead of taking me toward civilization like most people, I head further out in the sticks, I'm mostly retired now, but those are the habits I continue to have. Electric vehicles don't work without charging ability. I can see electric vehicles working well in metropolitan areas
RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 01:06:05 PM »
RANDYO- I feel the same way if a person has a commute that's a set pattern electric vehicles might work well.  On a Romeo ride I might go to rural areas where no charge station is available several hours away and back. Plus the cost CROSSBOLT alluded to.  I pick up used Kymco low mileage scooters for a low cost that work well for my needs..

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 01:39:46 PM »
Until there is a power grid with recharge stations every 100miles, I don't see electric drive replacing petrol cars anywhere other than in the cities. With Americans driving more annual miles than in almost any other country the lack of recharge infrastructure is a handicap. I think an option could be battery swap stations like other countries do with compressed fuel bottles (butane, propane, natural gas), however, as there is not a way to develop the system gradually, development will incur an astronomical upfront cost.

With the same material and technological input used in electric vehicles, petrol cars have so much room for improvement. Electric motors are running 97-99% efficient while petrol engines use only 23-25% of the available BTU's. If car engines were 90% efficient (which has been done in single applications) there would be less energy loss than electric with the main reason being that there is loss and cost at every energy conversion. In 2019 there were over 280,000,000 registered vehicles in the US. The Tesla 3 as an example uses 50 kWh for a max range of 250 miles. Multiplied by even a conservative 200,000,000 units would require more power than can currently be supplied. If electric vehicles are the future of transport, nuclear power plants will be required in vast numbers to supply the power demands.

Sorry about the length. I'm fascinated by the topic of energy forms and its consumption.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 02:14:31 PM »
yeah, with current technology there's no way we can replace all gas engines. I'm thinking futuristic...like a time when we have a power source the size of a D cell battery that provides the power to travel 300 miles. Throw a few of those in a bag and you can ride across the country with no need for old fashioned plug in recharging stations! (just dreaming, here)
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »
From https://www.iea.org/commentaries/population-without-access-to-electricity-falls-below-1-billion 

"However despite all of these stories of progress and success, the world still remains off-track in its efforts to achieve Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 7.1 to ensure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services by 2030. "

This just addresses a LITTLE bit of electricity every day, and  doesn't even BEGIN to address the grid infrastructure necessary for recharging 100% of the electric vehicles.  EVEN IN the U.S.,  that remains a question:  https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2020/01/09/electric-cars-will-challenge-state-power-grids.   This article has EVs hitting the 50% barrier in 2040: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/09/electric-cars-replace-gasoline-engines-2040/

That is two articles where EVs dont even hit 50% until 2040.  For ICE engines to go away, we need top tier electrical service to the last mile.... WORLDWIDE.  That is not going to happen in my lifetime, despite the hype of the media.

Ask this question again in about 50 years and you may get a different answer.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:40:45 PM by rdhood »
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 03:22:24 PM »
Reminds me of the graphene craze. Still waiting on the elevator to space, A.K.A. stairway to heaven.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()