Author Topic: 1st belt & roller change on my Liberty150i 10,000Km  (Read 1716 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
1st belt & roller change on my Liberty150i 10,000Km
« on: July 07, 2020, 02:52:49 PM »
10,000 Km service....yesterday, hot & humid.
Piaggio has made some 900,000 of these Libertys over the past 20 years....so I follow their service schedule.
After my 1st experience with the 1st service & the VERY stuck belt cover on my LIKE200i years ago - I was NOT looking forward to this job.... what a pleasant surprise!

Parts used: belt, rollers, slide pieces and 2 new nuts. All OEM & stock. About $65. Started riding this "2018" scooter the summer of 2017. So, other than oil, gas  & filters - first new servicing parts.
Difficulty of job: pretty easy!
Tools: a torx screwdriver, 19mm socket, 8mm T-handle, bar-torque wrench, Sear's 1/2" li-ion impact gun, 3 dabs of hi temp grease.

Trickiest bit: using the Buzzetti hold tool

Rear holding tool….

No drama. cover came right off.

Filth under the belt cover: much less than my LIKE200i

Wear on parts: clutch pads barely worn (will measure belt and rollers later today - I was too hot yesterday)

Spent 2 hrs cleaning things.
Lubed 2 belt cover locating pins and the needle bearings on the rear of clutch.

Lots of discussion on getting more whiz-bang using different rollers - but I like he way my Liberty performs. So, stayed with stock parts.

Stig

Out for a nice coffee run this morning.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:13:13 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 1st belt & roller change on my Liberty150i 10,000Km
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 03:35:38 PM »
Can't believe that's what a scoot can look like at 10,000Km. Great work.

I lost a belt yesterday. The manual definitely made an error with the stated 16mm minimum service width. Mine vaporized at 19.2mm. What worries me is the belt is supposedly 20mm new.
Become the best you can with what you have.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »
On belt----OEM? how many miles? how old?

On Piaggio belts maint.=too often for 30,000 miles a year rider!! Rubber Band drive scooter should have drive system that is good for 50,000  miles or so!!  Otherwise cheaper to have small car.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »

I lost a belt yesterday. The manual definitely made an error with the stated 16mm minimum service width. Mine vaporized at 19.2mm. What worries me is the belt is supposedly 20mm new.
Kymco belt?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 05:24:03 PM »
2nd OEM Kymco belt, and died at 12,630km. The first I changed at the recommended 10,000km before I got the manual with the width specs. Honestly I was impressed that any belt would last that long with the conditions I have ridden it in. It's not rated for unusual use such as trailers so I can't complain. I think it was heat from 2hr riding stretches that cause the rubber to separate at the nylon.

It was 4 years old.
Become the best you can with what you have.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »

An error in the manual? Please say it ain't so! Har, har! Belts are made by other companies and they usually have some pretty good data like minimum width on their stuff and competitors stuff. But somewhere between Engineering and tech writers/translators the info is "modified" with no proof reading.

For Major Tom: nice job! You coughed up for special tools, dincha! Probably the best thing since that front pulley configuration demands it!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »

Quite soon after I bought my Agility at 8500km I took measurements of the belt and it was about 18mm. I am not sure about the current measurement, but the current km reading is almost 24 000km. Same belt, about 11 years old.

@ Stig.
I noticed the Liberty’s oil sump seem to have cooling fins and the sump also seem to be a bit bigger than the sumps on similar sized scooters. I assume the Liberty takes more engine oil compared to the Like ?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:33:54 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 08:10:34 PM »
Quite soon after I bought my Agility at 8500km I took measurements of the belt and it was about 18mm. I am not sure about the current measurement, but the current km reading is almost 24 000km. Same belt, about 11 years old.

@ Stig.
I noticed the Liberty’s oil sump seem to have cooling fins and the sump also seem to be a bit bigger than the sumps on similar sized scooters. I assume the Liberty takes more engine oil compared to the Like ?

Good eye!
Yes a little over 1/2 Qt more. Need 3 Qts to do 2 oil changes - LIKE takes less than a Qt.
3 Qts will get you 3 oil changes with a LIKE...and some spillage :-)
Liberty also has a spin on filter and a screen.
Wish it had the gear oil dipstick which a lot of Piaggios have. (Vespa guys told me I was stupid for not being able to locate it! Owning a Liberty on the Vespa forum is akin to owning a Beetle on the Porsche forum)

Stig
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:42:20 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 08:46:14 PM »
Did anyone notice the one LIKE200i part on the Liberty?

Piaggio gave these scoots a 2" puke tube - with a sealed tip.
I spent a couple of hours fitting a much longer tube from a box of LIKE spares I bought on ebay yrs ago.
It was heck to reach.
I opened the cap yesterday while working on the CVT, tablespoon of stuff came out.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 08:52:12 PM »
Piaggio Dealer
"Looks like we've lost J.G. as a Liberty customer."

"Yep."

"Want a Pepsi?"

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 01:54:08 PM »
wait, you have a scooter that allows you to remove the cvt cover without disassembling half the bike?  :D

Brilliant!

(to get to the cvt cover I have remove all this)
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 04:57:08 PM »
wait, you have a scooter that allows you to remove the cvt cover without disassembling half the bike?  :D

Brilliant!

(to get to the cvt cover I have remove all this)
That's a great looking scooter....but I hope you're joking!?

Before I bought this Liberty - my 4th & I hope my final scooter, I spent $8 on a service manual download.
THIS time I was looking for easy valves, easy CVT, easy muffler, easy shock mounts....and easy brake fluid reservoirs.

Well, I got all but the easy to access brake reservoir.

Since I do all DIY, and at my age - as much as I love fooling with a scooter - I'm a lot more friendly to, and considerate of,  my body!

If it is a pain to work on, I'll just end up being unfaithful to it - and will start an emotional affair with another red scooter (probably a Honda) - because I'm too cheap to send it out for service.

Stig

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 05:45:19 PM »
Stig, I wish I was joking! The left 4 inches or so of the cvt cover are covered by the plastic bodywork...no way to remove it without pulling off the plastics (seat/ bucket, rack, fender and body tub). Luckily I've got it down to about 10 minutes from the hour + it originally took me.

Wish all scoots were designed with a little panel to expose the spark plug and valve cover, an easily accessible cvt cover and brake fluid reservoirs!

Your Piaggio is rocking all Vespa mechanicals, right? The 150cc engine and driveline are lifted straight out of a Vesap? (or the vespa's are lifted straight out of a Piaggio?)  :D

2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 10:32:52 PM »
Stig, I wish I was joking! The left 4 inches or so of the cvt cover are covered by the plastic bodywork...no way to remove it without pulling off the plastics (seat/ bucket, rack, fender and body tub). Luckily I've got it down to about 10 minutes from the hour + it originally took me.

Wish all scoots were designed with a little panel to expose the spark plug and valve cover, an easily accessible cvt cover and brake fluid reservoirs!

Your Piaggio is rocking all Vespa mechanicals, right? The 150cc engine and driveline are lifted straight out of a Vesap? (or the vespa's are lifted straight out of a Piaggio?)  :D

I don't know enough about Vespas to answer that …..but this 155cc 3 Valve i-Get engines are in some Vespas I'm told.
I was surprised to see a kick start on your scooter. A genuine 200 cc engine , or a 163?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 12:05:14 AM »
A genuine 200 cc engine , or a 163?

163cc, just like your Like, only with a carb.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()