Author Topic: All Weather Tyres  (Read 2412 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: All Weather Tyres
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2020, 04:07:20 PM »
Firestone, "Town and Country", were my preferred all weather tires.... ..if that's any help. (might have to spread the fender a little on a Beetle )
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2020, 04:36:55 PM »
You’ve moved onto 4-wheelers there I guess Stig? 

Not too much call for winter tyres here and I’m currently running Sailuns year round on my wife’s Range Rover. Quietly impressive they are. A pleasant surprise and a real wallet saver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 07:47:12 PM »

Not too much call for winter tyres here and I’m currently running Sailuns year round on my wife’s Range Rover. Quietly impressive they are. A pleasant surprise and a real wallet saver.

Sailuns….new to me.
What color are they? :)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2020, 07:25:50 AM »
They may be Chinese?...
My tyre guy rates them Stig and I trust his advice. This is the type I have on the Landy:
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Sailun/Atrezzo-ZSR.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2020, 10:56:13 AM »
Right! Which is why I am getting rid of the original front Shin something tire which is barely worn at 20,000k and has the grip of high density polyethylene.

Cheng Shins? Also known as CST (Cheng Shin Tyres?) also known as... the budget brand for Maxxis :O

I have never really understood the hatred for Maxxis on this forum. I've never had a bad tyre from them. I do wonder if we get different ones to the states. My old bike racer friend switched to them permanently from Pirellis, he liked them that much.

I'm from Cornwall in the UK. If two cars fit, they go through. Kissing wing mirrors is acceptable. If two won't go, you both slam on the brakes and then one of you reverses at an irresponsible speed until there's enough space. There aren't many ditches down in that part of the country so you can get as close to the hedge as your paintwork can tolerate :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2020, 09:18:52 PM »
I might try another cst tire on the rear as they last a while. I would prefer more grip upfront however, and lifetime is irrelevant with the amount the front wears. I haven't used maxxis but have known many people who loved them.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2020, 12:58:14 AM »
Cheng Shins? Also known as CST (Cheng Shin Tyres?) also known as... the budget brand for Maxxis :O

I have never really understood the hatred for Maxxis on this forum. I've never had a bad tyre from them. I do wonder if we get different ones to the states. My old bike racer friend switched to them permanently from Pirellis, he liked them that much.

I'm from Cornwall in the UK. If two cars fit, they go through. Kissing wing mirrors is acceptable. If two won't go, you both slam on the brakes and then one of you reverses at an irresponsible speed until there's enough space. There aren't many ditches down in that part of the country so you can get as close to the hedge as your paintwork can tolerate :)
My beef with Maxxis.
My Liberty's 14"rear Maxxis went past the wear bars before 6000 miles.
Same rider, same route, approx same weight scooter, on 12" wheel went over 12,ooo miles on a City Grip.
Wet grip was better on the City Grip, too.
No CG avail for the Liberty, so had to go with Angels...install this winter I hope.
True, the front 16" Maxxis looks barely used after 65oo miles.... (even with a plug in it)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
All Weather Tyres
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »
My X-Town 300 came fitted with Kenda rubber and whilst dry weather performance is fine, I’ve recently had the “benefit” of testing their wet weather performance. Kindest thing I can say is they do not inspire confidence. Now pondering something like Metzler Feelfree Wintec replacements based on pneus on line reviews*, but first wondered what thoughts were out in forum land?
* https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/test/motorcycle-tyre/search-test/

Tyre update:
Well, I’ve taken the plunge and decided to swap out the Kenda’s before the winter wet weather arrives.  In the end availability governed choice and I’ve gone with Michelin City Grip 2’s.

The CG’s I had on my last scooter were faultless, so go with what you know I guess.

Delivery is 3-5 days so it’ll be a while for the before & after report.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:04:17 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2020, 12:53:36 PM »
Yesterday I got two set's of tires in the mail. One pair of Michelin City Grip's and one pair of Pirelli angel's.   Might try a set of Maxxis on the Orange. Found the Michelin City Grip's on clearance, getting ready for the City Grip 2's. Still $180. a pair on sale.

I wanted to try a pair of Metzler Feelfree on the Orange but cannot find them except in front radial and rear bias ply tires.  120/70-15 and 150/70-14 on the Orange.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 01:17:47 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2020, 01:10:00 PM »

I run Sailun's 16" load range G on my 5th wheel RV, come highly recommend.  I believe they are made in China. On my pickup I run Hankook tires. They use to be made in South Korea but last two sets came from Clarksdale TN.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2020, 03:15:55 PM »
Found the Michelin City Grip's on clearance, getting ready for the City Grip 2's. Still $180. a pair on sale.

I paid £120 for the CG2’s, about $150?
[emoji106]

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2020, 03:34:01 PM »
I paid £120 for the CG2’s, about $150?
[emoji106]

150/70-14 CG Rear $146. List- sale price $100.56. 120/70-15 CG front $114. List- sale $81.40.   I noticed a lot lower price in the UK on tires on ebay  but shipping was outrageous to the US.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2020, 08:47:24 AM »
Yeah often see that going the other way too. What looks like a bargain suddenly evaporates when you factor in shipping!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2020, 08:57:17 AM »
Yeah often see that going the other way too. What looks like a bargain suddenly evaporates when you factor in shipping!

Not to mention the exchange rate of currency.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2020, 12:23:05 PM »
Ordered another set of Pirelli angels for the Grand Vista this morning.  Would have gone with City grips but they seem to only have pure power in that size.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()