Author Topic: All Weather Tyres  (Read 2414 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
All Weather Tyres
« on: July 22, 2020, 10:37:32 AM »
My X-Town 300 came fitted with Kenda rubber and whilst dry weather performance is fine, I’ve recently had the “benefit” of testing their wet weather performance. Kindest thing I can say is they do not inspire confidence. Now pondering something like Metzler Feelfree Wintec replacements based on pneus on line reviews*, but first wondered what thoughts were out in forum land?
* https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/test/motorcycle-tyre/search-test/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: All Weather Tyres
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 10:48:06 AM »
I have always liked the Michelin City Grips.  I'm not sure how long they will last on a bigger scooter.  I tried one one the back of my majesty and got 3800 miles out of it.  Metzler Feel Frees are normally good for 5,000 miles on my Majesty although the last one was toast in just 4600 miles.  On the front the Mezlers are good for around 7K.  I have no complaints about how the Metzlers work and they last longer than anything else I have tried on the majesty.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 11:35:05 AM »
The OEM tires that came on my 2019 XTown were crap----never a good feeling with them! Replaced rear with City Grip=ok, no city grip made in XTown front size.   Replaced front with Heidenau=fine feeling, have new Heidenau rear in waiting.

"All Weather"----probably not sold in US---"Land of the Trailer Biker", but required in Germany for example.

Were I to buy another Kymco (I like mine) I would change tires as soon as I got it home---I am one of those who still does own tire work.

Wet Weather tires important in my book----snow/ice something different----but some bikes/ scooters ok in snow----my 2 stroke Vespas fine in snow---rode daily in WI  winter, used in Europe for Elephant Rally, made ride somewhat enjoyable.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 07:50:07 AM »
I have always liked the Michelin City Grips.  I'm not sure how long they will last on a bigger scooter.  I tried one one the back of my majesty and got 3800 miles out of it.  Metzler Feel Frees are normally good for 5,000 miles on my Majesty although the last one was toast in just 4600 miles.  On the front the Mezlers are good for around 7K.  I have no complaints about how the Metzlers work and they last longer than anything else I have tried on the majesty.
Useful input Klav, thanks for that.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 07:55:20 AM »
The OEM tires that came on my 2019 XTown were crap----never a good feeling with them! Replaced rear with City Grip=ok, no city grip made in XTown front size.   Replaced front with Heidenau=fine feeling, have new Heidenau rear in waiting.

"All Weather"----probably not sold in US---"Land of the Trailer Biker", but required in Germany for example.

Were I to buy another Kymco (I like mine) I would change tires as soon as I got it home---I am one of those who still does own tire work.

Wet Weather tires important in my book----snow/ice something different----but some bikes/ scooters ok in snow----my 2 stroke Vespas fine in snow---rode daily in WI  winter, used in Europe for Elephant Rally, made ride somewhat enjoyable.
John, your experience and encyclopaedic knowledge, as ever, helps out the young ‘uns!  (And it’s not often I can put myself in that camp these days!). Thank you, Heidenau’s were another option on my list.

Need to get the new rubber before winter sets in so your advice is valued. I’ll keep you posted.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 09:09:56 AM »
My hatred for anything made by Avon burns deep.

When I was couriering I swore by Anlas Wintergrip 2s, but whether they make them in your size, and whether their performance (I liked them, but it was a smaller bike and I was much less experienced at the time) is as good for a larger bike... but certainly worth a peek.

I did use Heidenau K66s for a year as well but I seem to remember them wearing very quickly (not a problem in itself) and the ride deteriorating significantly when they had worn.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 09:21:09 AM »
That's interesting Viper.  I've noticed after as little as 2,000 miles that my OEM Kenda's have now become very sensitive to white lines to add to the vague feel in the wet from them.  Definitely got to swap them out before the rainy season!  BTW, Kudos for changing your own on your fleet, I have a nice man that comes to my house and does mine for me!   ::)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 12:28:05 PM »
That's interesting Viper.  I've noticed after as little as 2,000 miles that my OEM Kenda's have now become very sensitive to white lines to add to the vague feel in the wet from them.  Definitely got to swap them out before the rainy season!  BTW, Kudos for changing your own on your fleet, I have a nice man that comes to my house and does mine for me!   ::)
What part of the Upper Kentucky is Cheshire near?
I'm in S. E. Ohio and would gladly give your tire changer guy free lunch!
(as John suggested, I was advised by 'old hands' here to shed the original Kenda 'Slip&Slides' for City Grips when I started my work commutes on the LIKE200i. I followed that advice.)

Have always liked Metzeler tire adverts...

And the way they show proper tire rotation....

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 02:57:46 PM »
What part of the Upper Kentucky is Cheshire near?
I'm in S. E. Ohio and would gladly give your tire changer guy free lunch!

Stig, you're just being funny, right?

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 04:04:09 PM »
I think he is [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »
+1 on the  City Grip.  One of the few bike tires I've seen with siping like a car tire.
I have not ridden them much in snow, only on a dusting.  We just don't get that around here to speak of.
Michelin did just release the CG 2.  It appears to include even more siping.  I suspect this was in respond to the Pirelli Angel that came out a couple years ago to compete with the CG.
I have not seen the CG2 in the U.S. yet.

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 08:20:11 PM »
Can only speak for the Downtown 300i...
The OEM Maxxis were OK, evil handling and truck-like compared to Metzeler, Michelin and Avon. Got SO weary of changing rear tires once, sometimes twice a season, went to a steel belt radial car tire in the rear. Handling still light and delightful but rear braking massively different in that major squeeze required to skid the rear on dry pavement. About the same as before on sand or gravel and slightly greater squeeze to slide in the wet.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:22:00 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 08:46:55 PM »
I think he is [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never kid about lunch!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 09:21:40 AM »
+1 on the  City Grip.  One of the few bike tires I've seen with siping like a car tire.
I have not ridden them much in snow, only on a dusting.  We just don't get that around here to speak of.
Michelin did just release the CG 2.  It appears to include even more siping.  I suspect this was in respond to the Pirelli Angel that came out a couple years ago to compete with the CG.
I have not seen the CG2 in the U.S. yet.
We get them here in the UK [emoji636] Tromper, another one on my list as I had CG’s on my last scoot. Loved ‘em.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 09:23:07 AM »
I never kid about lunch!

Stig
Or coffee?

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()