Author Topic: All Weather Tyres  (Read 2408 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: All Weather Tyres
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 09:24:34 AM »
Can only speak for the Downtown 300i...
The OEM Maxxis were OK, evil handling and truck-like compared to Metzeler, Michelin and Avon. Got SO weary of changing rear tires once, sometimes twice a season, went to a steel belt radial car tire in the rear. Handling still light and delightful but rear braking massively different in that major squeeze required to skid the rear on dry pavement. About the same as before on sand or gravel and slightly greater squeeze to slide in the wet.
Car tyre on a bike / scooter? Not legal here, called “dark siding” I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 09:34:15 AM »
Nothing wrong with a City Grip or a Street Pilot. All good tyres and relatively cheap.

Just put fitted 4 Vee Rubbers in the last week... much better than they should be for the price, but still decidedly budget.

I really didn't like the Kendas, Neil - I remember changing them out for another pair before they were really all that worn on my Kymco, and I'm Yorkshire levels of tight when it comes to getting my money's worth out of tyres! I used to get through a back tyre every 6 months when I was riding for work, as well as a set of pads. It was the start, stop, start, stop that killed them.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »
Yeah, must admit I like to work a tyre before springing for a new one, but think I’ll make an exception for these bl**dy Kenda’s!

You’re right constant use such as couriering will shag a tyre in no time. My heaviest year was c40,000 miles (commuting & leisure) and it was pricey on tyres & servicing!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 09:52:15 AM »
I never understood why bloody was a curse word in the UK?  Good to know about the Vee tires see them for sale on ebay . Also see City Grip 2 for sale in UK.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 11:19:23 AM »
I never understood why bloody was a curse word in the UK?  Good to know about the Vee tires see them for sale on ebay . Also see City Grip 2 for sale in UK.
Goes back to the Middle Ages KK. When England was Catholic “By Our Lady” was an oath or curse. Down the centuries it got contracted to bloody. Now you know. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 01:17:45 PM »
love the international flavor (or flavour?) to this forum! Great to hear and learn different things from our friends around the world.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 01:36:37 PM »
There’s more that unites us than separates us!  Just remember, it’s aluminium.

[emoji23]

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 03:04:01 PM »
There’s more that unites us than separates us!  Just remember, it’s aluminium.

[emoji23]

My dad couldn't say aluminum so he pronounced it the same as the British AL U Mininum.  I like the UK program (Escape to the country) although I think I've seen all the episodes now.  One thing that puzzles me is your country lanes, they only look wide enough for one car? I have learned about the canal system . Any town of any size usually has a pub. A chocolate box. Reception room instead of a living room.  A host of cottage industries and local producers of food products.  Mainstream US tv ignores everything but London.  Since my family originated from the UK I find England and it's history very interesting.  A lot of the grade 2 homes were built before the US was a even a  country.  Every 4th of July a friend sends me a greeting (happy treason day) .  Glad to have some UK members on the forum as well as members from all over the world.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:06:47 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 10:55:07 AM »
My dad couldn't say aluminum so he pronounced it the same as the British AL U Mininum.  I like the UK program (Escape to the country) although I think I've seen all the episodes now.  One thing that puzzles me is your country lanes, they only look wide enough for one car? I have learned about the canal system . Any town of any size usually has a pub. A chocolate box. Reception room instead of a living room.  A host of cottage industries and local producers of food products.  Mainstream US tv ignores everything but London.  Since my family originated from the UK I find England and it's history very interesting.  A lot of the grade 2 homes were built before the US was a even a  country.  Every 4th of July a friend sends me a greeting (happy treason day) .  Glad to have some UK members on the forum as well as members from all over the world.
Hi KK, thanks for the appreciation!  As for our country lanes, plenty around here and sure, many are single track requiring one good soul to reverse to a passing place when two cars meet. Another scooter advantage!

Real issue though in popular holiday spots like Devon and Cornwall though where cars towing caravans up narrow roads can log jam whole areas.

Where in England do your ancestors hail from?

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »
Goes back to the Middle Ages KK. When England was Catholic “By Our Lady” was an oath or curse. Down the centuries it got contracted to bloody. Now you know. [emoji3]

Worked closely with a girl from Hull, U.K., for a decade.
Sweet lady. Liked her uniforms  v e r y short.
Still recall trying to explain baseball to her, when we took van loads of psychiatric patients to Cincinnati Reds games. What a laugh!
She finally said, "it sounds like Rounders"....if I recall correctly. Whatever that is.
Stig
(we took the patients out, somewhere,  every Fri for 9 years. Never a problem. Good training for moderating this forum, 😊 )
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:35:54 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 08:39:33 AM »

She finally said, "it sounds like Rounders"....if I recall correctly. Whatever that is.
Stig

Ha!  I'll bet she didn't explain that one.  Rounders is a primary / junior school game over here that the little 'uns play.  So not exactly a compliment!   :D
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 10:40:17 AM »
I had an ok experience with the couple kendas I have used. The grip was good but the tire wore out way to fast. I currently use the shinko tires for a decent budget pair and they have a good balance of grip and lifespan.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2020, 02:41:46 PM »
With our roads / weather I'm more interested in grip than longevity TBR!  City Grips on my (admittedly lighter) Honda PCX were a great feel so I may be tempted to go with a known entity?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 07:09:25 PM »
Right! Which is why I am getting rid of the original front Shin something tire which is barely worn at 20,000k and has the grip of high density polyethylene.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 06:39:46 AM »
Right! Which is why I am getting rid of the original front Shin something tire which is barely worn at 20,000k and has the grip of high density polyethylene.
Teflon coated?

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()