Author Topic: Do you use any extra rear lighting?  (Read 976 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Do you use any extra rear lighting?
« on: July 24, 2020, 02:46:44 PM »

Fog actually thickened as I headed home this morning.
Because all my rides at least start in the dark...I've always invested time & $ to improve the rear lighting on all but my Forza (2 nice large red lights back there)

On dark , fogging or rainy mornings I really like the extra red light behind me. (Sometimes I get all 3~!)
The Liberty has LED tail lights, and an added LED light/brake bar.
The LIKE200i has an already large tail light and a top case with LED brake & running lights.

If you ride at night, have you added rear lights?

Stig
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:36:09 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use any extra rear lighting?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 03:21:46 PM »
No since most of my riding is on county highways with very little traffic and I'm usually home before dusk. My early morning jaunts I rarely even see a vehicle.  If I do usually a farmer traveling slower then I so just pass them and wave.  I usually take back roads to everywhere I go although it takes considerably more time. I avoid the interstate when possible.  Since retired I'm just not in that big of a hurry and the journey is more important then the destination. Sometimes I encounter a group of bicyclist or solo rider taking the same routes for the same reasons. I also see groups of motorcyclists but have yet to encounter a scooter rider. The last ROMEO RIDE  their was a guy on a Burgman. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:22:39 PM »
no add on lighting...but I did replace the taillight bulb with an led that is about twice as bright. Really makes a big difference. Then I also added reflective striping to both the top box (which isn't always on there) and to the rear luggage rack.

A few years ago I added the custom taylor reflective wheel striping. It's silver so you don't notice it in the day but looks pretty cool at night.

Funny thing is, I put all this striping on, and like KK, I don't ride at night!

(pics taken in garage with camera flash)
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 04:41:07 AM »
I installed a light kit at my previous bike’s Givi E370N top box. I also installed honeycomb reflector tape next to the light strips at the inside of the plastic light cover.
The honeycomb reflector tape made the box glowing, even during daylight when the sun was shining. An easy modification which increased visibility quite a lot.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 07:48:32 AM »
yes I copied Stig with a bestem top box,  ordered the lite kit,  ended up not using it , bought a 5 pin flat 5 trailor plug,  and wired it with running and brake lites and added turn lights,

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
yes I copied Stig with a bestem top box,  ordered the lite kit,  ended up not using it , bought a 5 pin flat 5 trailor plug,  and wired it with running and brake lites and added turn lights,
I'm not clever enough to wire my Bestem top case. Bought the one with brake and running lights already installed.
Heck of a bargain...at @$120 shipped..
All mounting hardware included. Wired it into my LIKE's taillight assembly. Would have preferred a smaller case....but...
Too bad they quit making these....esp at that price!
I like that the LEDs wrap around onto side of the case, too.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:19:06 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 09:03:16 PM »
I don't invest in additional lighting as reflective automotive tape goes a lot further. Even a flashlight will make my scoot pop out on the road. Just wonder from how far a car can see me.
Become the best you can with what you have.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 08:27:56 AM »
I don't like the idea of being rear-ended at night because my only tail-light was burned out.  So I've added additional running lights, a pair of old turn-signal fixtures (they're not turned on in the photo):

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 10:49:17 AM »
I think stock rear lighting on my 2019 XTown 300i is enough.   My Givi E-46 box has reflective tape.

Note: in over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles, I have been hit only once from rear.  Me Honda Reflex, She on phone, daytime, ran two stopsigns and got me on third.  Bike totaled, my right hand hurt.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 03:30:16 PM »
When I was riding, I glued a small , red , flashing light to the back of my helmet . I think it was the kind that joggers use to make themselves more visible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 04:06:53 PM »
Don't have proof...but I suspect that in the dark I am more visible from the rear - than I am in the daylight with all my hi viz on.
Good thing, since every one of my rides starts in the dark! Plus, much less traffic at that time of day.
Sure, deer are about, even at my 33mph cruise.
I'm much more concerned about big metal boxes being piloted by humans (some of them...)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 04:09:14 PM »
  New member here from Central Ohio and good topic. My Like 150i has LED taillight, but for the SR400 old school stock combo bulb I found a BRIGHT replacement tail/brakelight bulb on Amazon that flashes three times when hitting the brakes then goes steady. Really gets drivers attention and they back off.  Cheers
Put those in my Burgman 400 and my son's CB500X. "Tailblazer"....or something like that. ..
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()