Author Topic: Roads around here...  (Read 746 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Roads around here...
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »
I was talking on here with another (US) Forum member about the width of roads here in the UK and thought our American cousins would be interested to see this one, about a mile from where I live.  These taken from within 10 yards of one another, but looking in opposite directions.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:09:13 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
Re: Roads around here...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »
And here's my next door neighbour's house...  Yes, seriously.  A Farmhouse dating from the Mid-C15th, extended and internally remodelled in the late C16th/early C17th, and extended again in the C19th.

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101038588-betley-old-hall-betley#.XyFk5ed7m00
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:02:13 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
and one especially for Stig here.  If you look closely at the hedgeline, you may just see a cow's rump....
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:35:31 PM »
Neil, those pictures are great! Those narrow lanes would make me really nervous...but I guess if you have spent your life driving and riding on them you're probably very used to them.

The vegetation lining both sides of the road always concerns me...around here I would expect all kinds of animals (deer, rabbits, squirrels) to jump out of there while I was riding! I subscribe to the Missendon Flyer on youtube and he is always riding on those narrow, vegetation lined roads!

Thanks for the pics of the neighbor..I love the history of England...around here a 100 year old house is fairly rare and considered very old.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 05:12:06 PM »
narrow roads are ok, but the vegetation right at the edge of traveled way is bothersome. Here in Northern New England, many of our roads were cowpaths following terrain of least resistance, some along original native american highways, so no engineering involved, abrupt changes in curvature, both horizontal & vertical. Older homes in my area date back to William & Mary in colonial times 
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 07:37:00 PM »
Those roads are spooky!

I wouldn't last 2 days out there …..in the road taking pictures....

...of the dew on the roadside vegetation!

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 08:27:24 PM »
Roads!  I don't need no stinking roads!

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 01:25:51 AM »
Reminds me of the time I learned about the value of a covered drive train.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 07:10:54 AM »
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 07:16:02 AM »
Neil, those pictures are great! Those narrow lanes would make me really nervous...but I guess if you have spent your life driving and riding on them you're probably very used to them.

The vegetation lining both sides of the road always concerns me...around here I would expect all kinds of animals (deer, rabbits, squirrels) to jump out of there while I was riding! I subscribe to the Missendon Flyer on youtube and he is always riding on those narrow, vegetation lined roads!

Thanks for the pics of the neighbor..I love the history of England...around here a 100 year old house is fairly rare and considered very old.
You’re right Hawk, roadkill can be an issue, but interestingly more so on wider faster traffic’d roads than these narrow Lanes which, to be honest, are travelled at (usually) no more than 10-15 mph. Where I live we have a badger sett in a wood next to a 60 mph road. Sadly I’ve lost count of the number of dead ‘uns I’ve seen on the road in the 20 years I’ve lived here...

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 07:18:46 AM »
narrow roads are ok, but the vegetation right at the edge of traveled way is bothersome. Here in Northern New England, many of our roads were cowpaths following terrain of least resistance, some along original native american highways, so no engineering involved, abrupt changes in curvature, both horizontal & vertical. Older homes in my area date back to William & Mary in colonial times
So much the same as here Randy. Many of our narrow Lanes are quite simply tarmac laid on original cart tracks! In other words, the width of two horses’ asses!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 04:27:52 PM »
Roads!  I don't need no stinking roads!

Shades of Back to the Future! Great Scot, klav!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 07:57:41 PM »
So much the same as here Randy. Many of our narrow Lanes are quite simply tarmac laid on original cart tracks! In other words, the width of two horses’ asses!

ah! yes, the horses ass https://www.rosenblumtv.com/2009/07/what-does-a-horses-ass-have-to-do-with-the-space-shuttle/

how does your climate affect your roads, our severe changes here in NNE, many places with high water table, as a surveyor, I have documented nearly 2 feet vertical change annually once,  the road has since been rebuilt,   early spring is dodge the frost heave, season, roads that swelled gradually over winter, thaws a bit more unevenly,   pavement, cracks and breaks, it gets fixed with tar snakes,  a road that should get resurfaced every 3 years, goes 7 more unattended other than patching more potholes and tar snakes, and gravel roads... forget it, unless you like mud pits
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
ah! yes, the horses ass https://www.rosenblumtv.com/2009/07/what-does-a-horses-ass-have-to-do-with-the-space-shuttle/

how does your climate affect your roads, our severe changes here in NNE, many places with high water table, as a surveyor, I have documented nearly 2 feet vertical change annually once,  the road has since been rebuilt,   early spring is dodge the frost heave, season, roads that swelled gradually over winter, thaws a bit more unevenly,   pavement, cracks and breaks, it gets fixed with tar snakes,  a road that should get resurfaced every 3 years, goes 7 more unattended other than patching more potholes and tar snakes, and gravel roads... forget it, unless you like mud pits
One of the first things I noticed with my new LIKE200iLX 7 yrs ago was, "Man!, never riding down this road again!"
The suspension on that scooter made me very aware of lousy roads to be avoided.
I'll venture out on 'em once....and store their surface into my rumps memory bank.
Rear suspension travel is @3.25".....BEFORE you take a seat!....somewhat less afterwards.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:18:31 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()