Author Topic: Scooter'd never pull these Smokey Mountain switch-backs!  (Read 747 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Scooter'd never pull these Smokey Mountain switch-backs!
« on: August 01, 2020, 02:07:00 PM »
Was reminded how often my young wife & I rode the Berkshires in 1st gear on our white Honda 90 in the 60's.
I think I paid $280 new in Mass. (though that might have been for the Martin guitar?)
Needed 1st and 2nd gear a lot....including the descents with those drum brakes!
Scooter would never have worked....right? No engine braking would be a problem, as well.
Our rental Chrysler minivan is straining its guts out climbing the super steep switch backs to our rental cabin here in the Smokies.
Surely would need a motorcycle living up here.

That little aircooled Honda 90 never faltered.....

Stig
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:24:43 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Scooter'd never pull these Smokey Mountain switch-backs!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 03:26:20 PM »
A scooter can do it if needed to as I have done for the last few years. Definitely a place for light weights and a powerful contra spring. I think a k-pipe would be a neat machine for these hills.
Become the best you can with what you have.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 04:38:32 PM »
Was reminded how often my young wife & I rode the Berkshires in 1st gear on our white Honda 90 in the 60's.
I think I paid $280 new in Mass. (though that might have been for the Martin guitar?)
Needed 1st and 2nd gear a lot....including the descents with those drum brakes!
Scooter would never have worked....right? No engine braking would be a problem, as well.
Our rental Chrysler minivan is straining its guts out climbing the super steep switch backs to our rental cabin here in the Smokies.
Surely would need a motorcycle living up here.

That little aircooled Honda 90 never faltered.....

Stig

I ride those Smokey Mountain Switchbacks all the time on my scooters as well as my motorcycles.  The scooters work just fine, both uphill and downhill.  The motorcycles are faster but on the really tight curves I think the scooters are more fun.  I'll be headed for North Carolina tomorrow morning to ride a bunch of those switchbacks for 4 days next week along with around 30 other scooter riders.  I'm be riding my Like150i.  Its a little slow going up the steeper hills but I have yet to find a paved road so steep that it couldn't make it up the hill.

I'll be riding this road again this year:

One of the scooters riding with me last year was a Buddy 125.  It was slower than the Like but still did fine.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 04:47:27 PM »
The secret to riding those really tight and steep switchbacks on a scooter is to ride a good line around it and keep as much speed as possible. 

One of my favorite roads has this sign at the beginning.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 04:57:09 PM »
Korea, few years ago, my new Daelim 125 rubber band drive scooter----one trail near my house, scooter would not pull, solution:  get off and run along side---trail was one lane, very steep.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 05:26:22 PM »
Yeah, my fault for not being clear....
I'm not talking about winding and steep public roads. I'm talking about the private 'drives' which renters have to negotiate to reach their cabins.
Most of the steep reversals require a near full stop, using 100% of the car's turning radius to negotiate.  This repetitive full stop, full power
climbing would be brutal on a scooter after afew dozen.
The brakes would be stinking, if I still had any, by  the time I got down to the main road in the valley.
One more hair dryer, dog bowl or bottle of wine in the back of this new Chrysler would have sent it into "full arrest".
Again, the view is spectacular. ...and for only $200 you can ride the zip-line down....
Stig

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:35:03 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 06:29:12 PM »
I am simply amazed by a couple of the driveways I've seen coming down out of the trees to the main road here in the Smokies. The steepness and length of two of them are of the OMG category as they disappear up into the trees. I wouldn't roof a house that steep.
Daughter suggested maybe the wife lets the car down with a winch?
Crazy. Negotiating that every day....and in the rain!
Well, us northerners are easily impressed....
Stig

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:30:48 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 06:30:19 PM »
I would love to come ride with the group klav but my job makes it harder to have extended fun rides.

I live here Stig and am still impressed. Don't know how ice is handled.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:32:12 PM by TBR125 »

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 08:21:30 PM »
A scooter can do it if needed to as I have done for the last few years. Definitely a place for light weights and a powerful contra spring. I think a k-pipe would be a neat machine for these hills.

really a k-pipe, do you like rowing the shifter ?      but say Deals Gap, where it ain't really a lot of vertical,   I'm gonna hafta make a trailer for my k-pipe, that I can tow with my V-strom
RandyO
IBA#9560

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 08:42:44 PM »
Can't be worse than a 4 speed Lifan ML-100.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 08:55:53 PM »
Can't be worse than a 4 speed Lifan ML-100.

ok, I will admit, I would probably beat you in a race on the hill coming up to my house,  after about a third mile head start on 1%, and getting sometimes to 50mph, if the wind is going it the right direction, the next third mile is 18% quickly back to 3rd, then 2nd, and even into 1st sometimes, if I don't get a good start. If I'm not going 40+ at the bottom, I'll be in 1st before the top, then I hit the crest, and I'm right back up to 4th, I'm slower than a loaded dump truck
RandyO
IBA#9560

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 09:07:24 PM »
Yeah, my fault for not being clear....
I'm not talking about winding and steep public roads. I'm talking about the private 'drives' which renters have to negotiate to reach their cabins.
Most of the steep reversals require a near full stop, using 100% of the car's turning radius to negotiate.  This repetitive full stop, full power
climbing would be brutal on a scooter after afew dozen.
The brakes would be stinking, if I still had any, by  the time I got down to the main road in the valley.
One more hair dryer, dog bowl or bottle of wine in the back of this new Chrysler would have sent it into "full arrest".
Again, the view is spectacular. ...and for only $200 you can ride the zip-line down....
Stig

If you can drive it in a minivan I'm pretty sure I can ride it on my scooter.  But I know what you are talking about.  If it's really steep and also gravel then I'd much rather do it on my KLX.  On the other hand I'd rather do one of those steep driveways on a small scooter than a big and heavy motorcycle.

A couple few years ago we had a family reunion and rented a cabin on a really steep mountainside near Gatlinburg.  The roads were so steep my mom was afraid to drive them and I ended up driving her car up and down the mountain.  I think some of the grades coming out of tight turns were probably around 30%.  I didn't bring a scooter on that trip but after driving and hiking those roads I really wished I had.  I still had my Super 8 at the time and it would have been a blast on those super steep, twisty and narrow roads.  My brother rides a Harley and he said no way would he want to ride those on his Harley.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 04:49:55 PM »
Looks like fun Klav. I rode a lot of steep hills in Rome with 180 deg hairpin turns on my Honda 50 and 150. It was a blast, so I suspect you guys should have no problems. Just turn your head in the direction you want to go and trust you tire rubber...assuming you have good tires  :P

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 05:40:38 PM »
OK, you might only smoke the begeepers out of the scooter clutch going up....but I maintain you'd have no brakes left at the bottom of this private drive....requiring a very quick dismount as you shot, screaming, across both lanes of the highly traveled highway at the bottom. It is very much like coming off of a roof down there.
If you were lucky, the brakes would have melted in one of the stopping-switchbacks part way down and you'd just be in the shrubs up there.

Scooters have no engine braking.....
Major Tom

I watched HD's coming up yesterday....and the whole mountain could hear their 1st gear engine braking going down this morning. Popping loudly all the way down.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 05:42:12 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 07:08:38 PM »

Scooters have no engine braking.....
Major Tom

???  I'm confused, unless yer scooter is 2 stroke,  the belt drive in my 450i provides plenty of engine braking, even towing 1000 lbs down 18% grades
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()