Author Topic: Sturgis  (Read 635 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Sturgis
« on: August 04, 2020, 04:33:32 PM »
Sturgis this week.   Not for me...Virus not the reason----me, do not like to go to Trailer Biker Conventions, Daytona same...

10-15 years ago, returning from 40 years in Europe and Japan, thought I would like to visit both Daytona and Sturgis rallies---did.   Found lots of trailer biker in Halloween costumes making noise!

In Europe I liked to go to the mid-winter Elephant rally--even that rally established in the '50's by Klacks and others was ride in only, but in the last years I saw people drive in, change into bike clothes in the woods and tried to fit in.  Best European Rally for me---Stella Alpina, which included ride up the mountain in snow/mud/rocks/dust=great fun.

For scooters--- original Scout Tours in Arkansas were ride in....then the trailer bikers came.  Difference ride in riders were usually quite skilled----trailer bikers fell all over themselves in the parking lot and were a danger on the road. 

Just some info.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Sturgis
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 04:49:43 PM »
My Mother was a member of Motor Maids in the 60's and 70's. Dad and she would ride to the AMA conventions every year regardless of location. Daytona one year from their home in Seattle area had the Long Distance Award until the couple from Alaska rode in!

Never made much sense to me to trailer a bike to a motorcycle event, either. The trailer people I have met for motorcycles, anyway, strike me as "posers," more interested in how they look than how they ride.

Now, to race, or to bring more than one bike to something like riding the "Dragon," it would make sense to bring what you would ride in a van or trailer. But for a true cyclist, adventure rider or scenery cruiser a trailer would just be not right.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 05:29:43 PM »
I guess it doesn't really matter to me I don't care for large rallies no matter how you get there.  While it's fun to ride with a few buddies I quickly loose interest in riding with a large group.  I just don't care for large crowds no matter what the event.

My neighbor loves Sturgis rides his Harley bagger up and rents a cabin. He use to use his bike to make a tent for the entire trip.  This year he canceled his reservation because of the Covid.

I also don't care for someone that tries to pigeon hole everybody that doesn’t beleive the same way as you.  We have all found what works best for us.  I travel in my RV and carry a scooter or two for when I get there. To me having my Collies with me on extended vacation  (Holiday) is way more important then not bringing them .  While I enjoy riding it's not all that I live for. When I get to a destination I park the 1 ton Diesel and ride the scooter to the store, restaurants and side trips to explore the area.  To each their own, my dad always use to say (I'll give a dam what other people say when they start paying the bills).
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 05:41:56 PM »
My Mother was a member of Motor Maids in the 60's and 70's. Dad and she would ride to the AMA conventions every year regardless of location. Daytona one year from their home in Seattle area had the Long Distance Award until the couple from Alaska rode in!

Never made much sense to me to trailer a bike to a motorcycle event, either. The trailer people I have met for motorcycles, anyway, strike me as "posers," more interested in how they look than how they ride.

Now, to race, or to bring more than one bike to something like riding the "Dragon," it would make sense to bring what you would ride in a van or trailer. But for a true cyclist, adventure rider or scenery cruiser a trailer would just be not right.
My aunt and uncle back in the forties had a collection of small town movie theaters  (before tv) and they would take out on their early 40's Harley and play films all over Southwest Missouri and Southeast Kansas every weekend.  I didn’t even know they were riders until they got out their scrapbook when I visited them in their eighties, they lived until their mid ninties.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 07:00:20 PM »
John I respect your commitments. If everyone was like you my supply of low mileage Kymco's would dry up.  8)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 01:57:59 PM »
These days, 90% of used scooters in US are low miles.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 02:09:50 PM »
These days, 90% of used scooters in US are low miles.
Yeah, I wonder how many are tucked away in some forgotten cornor of the garage.  Next to last scooter I purchased was a 2009 Xicting 250 last tagged in 2015 with less then 2k miles on it full of stale fuel. Since retired my hobby has been resurrecting these scooters.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
Laconia Rally in 3 weeks, delayed from normal June dates, I'm not going to Laconia, but do plan on attending a rock & roll show that will likely be attended mostly by bikers
RandyO
IBA#9560

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 09:11:05 AM »
In Europe I liked to go to the mid-winter Elephant rally--even that rally established in the '50's by Klacks and others was ride in only, but in the last years I saw people drive in, change into bike clothes in the woods and tried to fit in.  Best European Rally for me---Stella Alpina, which included ride up the mountain in snow/mud/rocks/dust=great fun.

Doing the Elefant is something of a dream for me, as an ancestral German. I need to do it in the next couple of years.

You'll be pleased to know they've hugely cracked down on people driving in - it's pretty much impossible to do that now unless you somehow park up 30 miles away and make the switch.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 09:50:54 AM »
Doing the Elefant is something of a dream for me, as an ancestral German. I need to do it in the next couple of years.

You'll be pleased to know they've hugely cracked down on people driving in - it's pretty much impossible to do that now unless you somehow park up 30 miles away and make the switch.
In June maybe Viper, but camping? In January? No way Jose! I’m more of an en suite kinda guy - aka wimp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 01:54:48 PM »
I have no real desire to go to Sturgis during bike week although I would like to ride the area when it isn't as busy.

As for "trailer bikers", I have no issue with those who trailer their bikes to places.  Not everyone has the time or desire to ride their bikes to far away events.  Yes there are some trailer bikers who have poor riding skills but the same is true of those who ride their bikes.  Millions of miles on the interstate does not mean someone is a skilled rider.  I have known plenty of highly skilled riders who occasionally trailer their bikes.  I used to be one of those riders who was really smug and looked down on those who trailered their bikes........and then I grew up.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 02:11:07 PM »
I have no real desire to go to Sturgis during bike week although I would like to ride the area when it isn't as busy.

As for "trailer bikers", I have no issue with those who trailer their bikes to places.  Not everyone has the time or desire to ride their bikes to far away events.  Yes there are some trailer bikers who have poor riding skills but the same is true of those who ride their bikes.  Millions of miles on the interstate does not mean someone is a skilled rider.  I have known plenty of highly skilled riders who occasionally trailer their bikes.  I used to be one of those riders who was really smug and looked down on those who trailered their bikes........and then I grew up.
I feel the same way about Sturgis and would love to do the black hills and Mount Rushmore when there are no crowds.  I also feel the same about trailering bikes or scooters.

My neighbor had the same response about NOT trailering his bike to Sturgis until a few years ago. After sleeping in a tent on the ground through 3 days of rain his opinion changed. He bought a cargo trailer and did a conversion so it can be used for both camping and cargo.  He still prefers to ride to Sturgis and get a cabin.

I guess I also fall into the category of not giving a dam what other people think.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:01:12 PM by Kansas kymco »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 08:44:54 PM »
Yeah, I wonder how many are tucked away in some forgotten cornor of the garage.  Next to last scooter I purchased was a 2009 Xicting 250 last tagged in 2015 with less then 2k miles on it full of stale fuel. Since retired my hobby has been resurrecting these scooters.
About as many airplanes and boats that don't get used. People lose interest or scare the crap out of themselves and never go back. The neat thing about two wheels is you can do lotsa stuff besides tour on them. Stuff like honey-do trips to the store, parts chasing, VA doctor trips, attend ham radio conventions or haul them on an RV so you don't have to unhook the bus to go everywhere!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 10:12:15 PM »
About as many airplanes and boats that don't get used. People lose interest or scare the crap out of themselves and never go back. The neat thing about two wheels is you can do lotsa stuff besides tour on them. Stuff like honey-do trips to the store, parts chasing, VA doctor trips, attend ham radio conventions or haul them on an RV so you don't have to unhook the bus to go everywhere!
I was going to sell the Lambretta 150 as well when I sold the People 150. Lately I have been using it around town for errands. While a little small for the highway it's small and lightweight size makes it very versatile for around town.

Stupid me I originally bought the 500's to take with the RV thinking how heavy can a scooter be. I got schooled real quick when I went to pick them up (bought over the phone from 3 hrs away). The 150's or 200's are ideal size for the RV weight wise.

Guy out at work bought a tail dragger and loved to fly until he scared himself and sold the plane.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:24:33 PM by Kansas kymco »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »
I'm reading that there may be some kind of confrontation. ...as the Indian Nations are not going to let the bikers pass through their lands.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()