Author Topic: Windscreen or no windscreen your preferences  (Read 709 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Windscreen or no windscreen your preferences
« on: August 05, 2020, 05:11:25 AM »
On my motorcycles they have a miniature windscreens.  On the scooters most have a windscreen with a couple having a touring windscreen.  I like the taller touring windscreens and ordered 4 more for different scooters.  The only scooter without is the 150 Lambretta uno.  What's your preference?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Windscreen or no windscreen your preferences
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 05:37:13 AM »
My motorcycle has just a small flyscreen where the X-Town comes with a barn door of a screen. Great weather protection from the XT, but I like the naked bike feel of the Triumph too.  For the aesthetics of design, I think the XT may look better with a smaller screen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:38:54 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Windscreen or no windscreen your preferences
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 07:20:39 AM »
My motorcycle has just a small flyscreen where the X-Town comes with a barn door of a screen. Great weather protection from the XT, but I like the naked bike feel of the Triumph too.  For the aesthetics of design, I think the XT may look better with a smaller screen?

That's my opinion on the BMW'S as well, they just don't look correct with a big windscreen.  The taller touring windscreen fits and looks factory on the Kymco Xciting's and doesn't look out of place.  The factory Xicting windscreen isn't tall enough and have to go into a slight tuck to avoid the wind hitting the helmet.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:03:32 AM »
Maybe just me, but I don’t mind windblast on the helmet, just have to remember to pop in the earplugs before every ride!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:15:07 AM »
To be honest it depends one what kind of riding I'm going. For me now, day to day, I feel more "directly" linked to the road when I don't have a screen.

When I was riding for a living, I had a beast of a screen to keep me a bit drier and a bit warmer.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:34:52 AM »
To be honest it depends one what kind of riding I'm going. For me now, day to day, I feel more "directly" linked to the road when I don't have a screen.

When I was riding for a living, I had a beast of a screen to keep me a bit drier and a bit warmer.
Can’t fault that for an approach!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 11:16:48 AM »
No screen.
Removed the Burgman's tallish stock screen. .. the buffeting was horrible-horrible...for a short 'sport' Ermax (French) Loved it.
Just tinted the Forza's short stock screen.
Put a little flyscreen on the Liberty. ...for 'looks' as I'm not aware that it does anything.
The LIKE200I is going to stay screamless..

I just really don't like looking through anything, as none of the above screens are/were anywhere near my line of sight. Fog, mist, rain, dew, headlights...would all bother my vision with any tall screen. Those are the conditions I ride in frequently.
Sure, gets a little chilly in January. ...just dress for it.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:18:28 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 01:54:03 PM »
Do serious riding and big miles, well designed windshields are nice, or use bike for all transportation needs good air management important to me.  Right now on 11th new maxi scooter since 1990, none of them offer/offered good wind protection---problem: nose too far from tip of shield!  Closest to working, Honda SilverWing 600 with Givi Adjustable screen.  My scooter experience in modern times over 400,000 miles.

Vespas then and now (big frame) can be very buffet free with right screen and I suspect Kymco Like 150 and 200 could be too.

I wish I could ride naked bike but for my style of riding, just not comfortable.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »
I know this may sound foolish but on the BMW'S I wear a full face helmet so the wind isn't a big issue . On the Kymco's I wear a 3/4 helmet and appreciate the windscreens especially on long trips.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 02:02:42 PM »
Both my scoot and bike have small screens...I’ve never ridden behind a large, protective screen...so I have no idea if I’d prefer it or not!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 02:20:11 PM »
Both my scoot and bike have small screens...I’ve never ridden behind a large, protective screen...so I have no idea if I’d prefer it or not!
I would have no idea as well except a couple of the 500's I purchased had the touring windscreens already installed.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 06:56:24 PM »
After a long ride on my bike the only thing that’s really sore or uncomfortable is my neck. I guess it’s the stress of pushing against the wind all ride. I usually build up strength In my neck during the season and it’s not an issue but I’ve taken some longer rides this summer and it’s always my neck that is the weak point.....so maybe a nice touring windshield would be nice if it kept my neck from getting sore?!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 08:05:27 PM »
Neck getting sore:  #1 wind   #2 weight of helmet----- my neck can only take 2 lb Helmet since deer strike in the 90's in Switzerland....that time, heavy BMW Golf Ball helmet.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 11:50:01 PM »
Just got my touring windscreens in from Greese today. 35 days from my ordering them. Will try installing them tomorrow morning.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 04:54:34 AM »
I did quite a number of long distance travelling on my precious motorcycles and used touring screens on them. Found it very handy and useful.
I only use the Agility for cummuting around town at much lower speed and actually enjoy feeling the wind on the scooter. By times when it rains I actially think it would be nice to have a screen just to keep some water off my lap and parts of my chest.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()