Author Topic: Dead Battery  (Read 1047 times)

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
Dead Battery
« on: August 11, 2020, 04:16:44 PM »
Just a question(I drive a Kymco Xciting 400i),

I spent 4hrs on Sunday riding my scooter at both highway and slow back road speeds with no problems whatsoever. I park the bike overnight in the garage. Then yesterday about 20 hrs after my ride, I go and start the bike and the battery was completely dead. I checked for lose wires, but nothing. So I went and got another battery and the Bike started up like a champ. Has anyone ever a seen a battery go dead that fast. It struck me odd and I am thinking that I might have a drain somewhere in the electrical system, but then again, it could have been that the chemicals in the battery gave out.... Any Thoughts? The Battery is about 3 years old.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Battery
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 04:22:00 PM »
If your new battery goes dead you have a problem with the bike. Internal problems with a battery can drain it rapidly as well
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 05:18:20 PM »
I find after 65 years of doing this and over 75 new bikes/scooters.....and now no kick starters and fuel injection....2-3 years  battery life works for me   and I hate walking.   But my Kawasaki Concours went 6 years and 56,000 miles on OEM battery.   I had fresh dry charged battery in garage in case.

In US Batteries Plus has been good source for load testing and supplying new batteries that fit.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 06:34:02 PM »
If it is your battery (EFI likes a healthy battery)...you might think about buying more powerful battery....more Ah & CCA.
Unless you're already running the most powerful battery that will fit.

I used YUASA application guide to match my battery's physical size and post type.
Went from stock 8Ah to 14Ah on my LIKE. I need a lot of cold starts miles from home...
Went up on my Burgman as well, this way.
https://www.yuasabatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Yuasa-Battery-Application-Guide-2019.pdf

Don't pay any attention to bike and/or scooter application....just match your battery physical size and post type.
More Ah/CCA batteries are heavier - if your battery box position can handle that extra couple of pounds?

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 06:40:58 PM »
Just a question(I drive a Kymco Xciting 400i),

I spent 4hrs on Sunday riding my scooter at both highway and slow back road speeds with no problems whatsoever. I park the bike overnight in the garage. Then yesterday about 20 hrs after my ride, I go and start the bike and the battery was completely dead. I checked for lose wires, but nothing. So I went and got another battery and the Bike started up like a champ. Has anyone ever a seen a battery go dead that fast. It struck me odd and I am thinking that I might have a drain somewhere in the electrical system, but then again, it could have been that the chemicals in the battery gave out.... Any Thoughts? The Battery is about 3 years old.

Dean

My top three guesses:
1) you have an accessory drain (camera, gps, phone) straight from the battery that you did not realize was still connected
2) the seat is open and the underseat lights are draining the battery
3) you left the ignition switched on and did not realize it

2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()