Author Topic: My bike wont start up again.  (Read 395 times)

joshuaelliott93

• View Profile
My bike wont start up again.
« on: August 12, 2020, 03:04:51 PM »
Hi everyone, new to my bike and only the second bike I have ever had and looking for advice.

So my bike is the kymco agility city 125

Originally I had gone to start up the bike a while ago and the kick start broke, I took it apart and put it together again and it worked but I don't think I put the kick start in the right place and it sat lower and you had to pully it back up a little for it to sit back in its original place again. ( my electric start does not work )

Recently the kickstart was making a rattling noise on the way to work and I had not though much of it as I needed to get to work and on the way back it worked as well until I got just short of being home and I ran out of fuel, my friend came and dropped some old fuel of to me and still wouldn't work had to get it picked up after trying it again at home the battery died, am not entirely sure what to o now and don't just wanna keep trying the kickstart.

Help would be appreciated thank you everyone.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: My bike wont start up again.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 04:45:37 PM »
There are several Youtube videos which shows how to assemble a kickstarter correctly. You can just do a Youtube search about “Gy6 125 / 150 scooter kickstarter assembling” - assembling should be more or less the same.

If your scooter has a DC CDI, the scooter will never start when the battery is dead - even when you use the kickstarter.
If the scooter has an AC CDI, it will start when you use the kickstarter - even when the battery is dead.

So you actually need to determine whether the scooter has a DC or AC CDI - you need to buy a new battery if the CDI is a “DC” CDI.

You can just take measurements and a photo of the scooter’s CDI, and forward details to the forum. Myself, or somebody else should be able to tell what CDI is on your scooter.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 05:58:35 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

joshuaelliott93

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 10:11:13 AM »
I have charged the battery and the bike still is still not starting so I don't think its not the battery that's the issue and I had already taken apart the kickstart and put it together again properly. just not sure what the issue might be now.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 12:38:53 PM »
Do you have spark?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 02:28:13 PM »
You also need to remember what it sounds like when it starts normally. When you go one revolution past what is normal, STOP with the starter button or the kick.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 07:54:31 PM »
I have charged the battery and the bike still is still not starting so I don't think its not the battery that's the issue and I had already taken apart the kickstart and put it together again properly. just not sure what the issue might be now.

There are two things you need to understand first.
 You need to know whether your scooter has an AC or DC  CDi. The reason is very simple:
If your scooter has an AC  CDI, it does not matter if the battery is faulty - because the scooter’s Stator generates the spark at the spark plug.

If your scooter has a DC  CDI, the Battery generates the spark at the spark plug.

You mentioned that the battery has been fully charged.
That does not mean anything - because a fully charged battery can show perfect Volts, but it can still be faulty - and not be able to “hold power” when it needs to supply sufficient power / Amps to the spark plug. ( Take note - this is only applicable if your scooter has a DC CDI).

Again, it is important to know what CDI your scooter has - because if your scooter has an “AC” CDI, your starting problem is caused by something else - NOT the battery.
If your scooter has a “DC” CDI, the battery CAN STILL be part and parcel of your problem - even while it’s been fully charged.

In short - buying a new battery blindly can easily be a waste of money. You need to find out whether your scooter has an “AC” or “DC”  CDI - just to eliminate the possibility that the battery has anything to do with your starting problem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:10:19 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

joshuaelliott93

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 01:10:07 PM »
Hi again everyone just wanted to clear up a few points.

My battery is charged, dashboard works as well and lights and everything.

The old fuel that got put in my bike when I ran out, when I emptyed it from my tank it was thick and orange with bits in it at the bottom.

I've rebuilt the kick start again just incase I had done it wrong.

I am afraid the phrases ac and dc CDi unfortunately doesn't meat a lot to me I've tried looking online but what one it is but to no luck my bike is a agility city 125 if that helps.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »
Old fuel probably plugged up the extremely small passages of the carburetor.  It will probably need to be taken off the scooter and cleaned. If you aren't mechanical inclined you should take it to a shop.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 03:43:49 PM »
Old fuel probably plugged up the extremely small passages of the carburetor.  It will probably need to be taken off the scooter and cleaned. If you aren't mechanical inclined you should take it to a shop.

Agreed.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()