Author Topic: Wonder how many like their sport bikes after 60 days?  (Read 733 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Wonder how many like their sport bikes after 60 days?
« on: August 16, 2020, 05:37:17 PM »
The bikes with the little clip-on bars which permit 4" of lock and require the rider to ride with chin up and weight down on his wrists.

If the kid isn't rocketing through traffic in 2nd gear (for the noise!!!) with a girl perched miles over his head - then he's motoring along trying to sit up and using only his right hand....probably thinking, "this isn't so cool after all".

A salesman told me that very few young fellows can afford payment on a new sport bike with clip-ons.
Since they took out a loan, their monthly insurance payment is much higher than their bike payment on a clip-on sport bike compared to a motorcycle with regular adventure style bars.

If a youngster pays cash, they don't have to carry such high insurance to satisfy the loan officer.

I saw two more young guys riding this morning....all lop-sided & riding with their right hand.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder how many like their sport bikes after 60 days?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 07:09:04 PM »
Sold my racer crouch Triumph Daytona 955i after 20 years at 60-ish owing to back and neck aches induced by the riding position.  My Street Triple is upright and supremely comfortable by comparison.  It was a good move! 

I could maybe do a hundred miles more in a day on the X-Town 300 though. Now that is comfortable...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 07:35:53 PM »
Sold my racer crouch Triumph Daytona 955i after 20 years at 60-ish owing to back and neck aches induced by the riding position.  My Street Triple is upright and supremely comfortable by comparison.  It was a good move! 

I could maybe do a hundred miles more in a day on the X-Town 300 though. Now that is comfortable...

Neil have to agree with you,  my Xicting is very comfortable on long trips especially with the soft suspension and monster seat.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 11:02:50 PM »
core exercises

I prefer the ergonomics of a sportbike over that of a cruiser, but most prefered ergonomics are that of a sport tourer, or adventure bike, 

a cruiser, while comfortable while sitting still, is spine jarring, the more forward control, and apeish the bars, the worse. a sportbike on other hand, rear set pegs, put your feet underneath you, your legs are part of your body's suspension, chest suspended by the breeze, no real weight on your wrists,  sportbikes are like sharks, comfortable, when on the constant move
RandyO
IBA#9560

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 11:17:20 PM »
I have no problem on my Ducati. I’m 63, 6’1” and 225ib. Wind keeps a lot of the weight off the wrists (as previously commented), on long straights between curvy sections of the road I will often ride with one hand. I don’t ride on city streets often, I find the squiggly roads and track days. Oh yeah, I’ve owned the Ducati since 93.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 12:06:10 AM »
Whole lotta one handed, half twist torsos trying to sit up riding around where I  live.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 01:25:28 AM »
Back in 89 I bought a Kawasaki EX500 which was a sportbike but had a reasonably comfortable riding position.  The bars were not clip ons.  I kept it for 10 years and 66,000 miles.  I also had a full dress touring bike but I took that EX500 on more long trips than the touring bike.  Looking back, it was one of the most fun bikes I have owned.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 11:17:13 AM »
You're right Klav, Kawasaki make some soulfull bikes.  One of my best ever mounts was a ZX-7R.  Loved that bike...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 01:04:08 PM »
US where much of the riding (Long Distance) is boring----Sports Bike maybe not best Choice.   Europe/Germany where you can and do go fast most of the time and need to ride in attack position, Sports Bike fine.

Note: Speeds is Germany can be really fast---most Hot  US riders would probably poop their pants on seeing people really go.   I lived/worked/rode in Europe over 20 years.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 01:19:13 PM »
Having ridden in both Europe and the US, I'm inclined to agree with you John.  Full on sports bikes make more sense here than over in the US, but one man's meat etc.  Happy with a sports bike back in my yoof, but old age and achin' joints gave me a choice: stay true to the race bike and give up biking altogether or look for a more comfortable alternative and carry on biking.  I chose the latter route.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 02:22:49 PM »
I have a friend who decided to give up riding his GSXR750 after only 5 years :o

Well, he is 80 years old and only rode it on the race track ;)
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 04:56:26 PM »
Having ridden in both Europe and the US, I'm inclined to agree with you John.  Full on sports bikes make more sense here than over in the US, but one man's meat etc.  Happy with a sports bike back in my yoof, but old age and achin' joints gave me a choice: stay true to the race bike and give up biking altogether or look for a more comfortable alternative and carry on biking.  I chose the latter route.

Easy to go fast in a straight line. Come on over and I'll take you on some twisty roads, here in California, with some fast guys. Try to keep up.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 09:45:45 PM »
Riders have no business trying to keep up with anything unless they're on a closed track.
Seen plenty of their youtubes....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 06:37:17 AM »
A lot of people have met their demise trying to ride beyond their ability.  I wouldn't even try to keep up with riders with knee pucks with scrape marks. Way beyond my ability. When I was young my objective was to go fast. Now it's to have a leisurely ride enjoying the surroundings.  I like taking the scooter to explore new back  roads.

Thinking of taking a ride around lake Superior. They use to have a organized ride called the wolf's head rally. They would haul your clothing in a van to the next hotel on the route.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 06:50:12 AM »

Easy to go fast in a straight line. Come on over and I'll take you on some twisty roads, here in California, with some fast guys. Try to keep up.
I’ve ridden the Canyon roads on a CBR600 with a buddy from LA and yes, there are some quick guys up there who know the roads like the back of their hands!  Mostly kept up, but mind you I was 20-odd years younger back then!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()