Author Topic: Asian Four - who makes the best quality new motorcycle?  (Read 757 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Asian Four - who makes the best quality new motorcycle?
« on: August 18, 2020, 09:35:50 PM »
Leave off the Brit, German and Italian brands for this - since the majority of us have neither the wallet nor the local dealer support for them.

So, in your mind - who makes the best quality new Asian motorcycle?
No, not the fastest, or most technologically advanced - just talking quality of build here.

I've read a few places that it's Yamaha and Honda - and often too close to call between those two.

I think I've seen over the years that Honda does not build for ultimate speed. And are rarely the fastest or producing the most HP in a class.

Me, it's  Big Red.
All 5 of our Honda bikes were flawless during our ownership.
Stig

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:39:05 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Asian Four - who makes the best quality new motorcycle?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 10:04:07 PM »
My son has had three dirt bikes. The first two were Yamaha TTRs (a 90 and then a 125). He currently rides a Honda CRF230.

I would rate all three bikes highly. Never have had an issue with any of them, except for a shift linkage that went bad on the current bike, but that was only a couple hundred bucks to fix and I believe the bike is 15 years old.

All were purchased used, and we were able to sell the first two for basically what we paid for them. So, they held their value.

I don't think there's any doubt that Honda and Yamaha are sort of the Honda and Toyota of the automotive world: proven quality and reliability that comes with great resale value. Although Kawasaki and Suzuki make good product as well, I think at least in the minds of most folks, Kawasaki is a notch below Honda and Yamaha and Suzuki is a couple notches below that. Whether true or not, I cannot say from personal experience or hard data on reliability, but I would say it shows in popularity of those brands and resale value.

My two cents...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 06:21:45 AM »
I've owned Yamaha's and Honda's all my life and both were trouble free. If I were to purchase a new bike it would probably be the Yamaha super tenure.  I no longer feel the need for a 200 mph sport bike that would probably be my demise.  The biggest disappointment was the new Kawasaki KLR 650, although more dirt worthy then the BMW GS it didn't have near the grunt of the Rotex. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 09:13:05 AM »
The general consensus is Honda and Yamaha but the two Kawasakis I currently own are as well built as anything made by those two companies IMO.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »
Klav, I've owned a few Kwacks (mainly sports 750's & 900's) and found them as reliable as Hondas & Yamahas, but more importantly to me, they have a certain something Hondas don't have... Soul?  Hard to put your finger on it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 12:35:21 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »
Almost forgot the Kawasaki I had that was a reproduction of the Triumph Bonneville.  They have a new one out that's a 800cc.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »
I have some experience here---over 75 new bikes and scooters since 1955.

Honda is probably best bet right now in US (if they make model you need) plenty of dealers/good parts service if parts man is on the ball----bikes reliable

Suzuki---many failed dealers x Scooters not so reliable as Honda---had 2 new Burgman 400's--bikes in recent years new TU250(ok but over priced)  GS-500 E---rode to 66,000 miles, always ran  lean, never broke, 43,000 on original chain and sprockets.

Yamaha---had SR500=ok, new TMAX scooter, fast/handled well/not fun to work on

As for BMW (owner since 1958) once great, now some real junk in recent years, my last new one K-75 (ok)

Kawasaki---ok, had new carbed Concours=ok, top heavy, had one new barge, Voyager 1200,, heavy, well designed, auto valve adjust, faster,  than GoldWing liked it.

Harley---had 4 Electra Glides, heavy can break often, work best at 55-60mph, but shake, three sportsters=shake, but do not break often.

Kymco working fine for me right now

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 10:38:33 PM »
They are all equally good. Depends on what you want out of a bike.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 12:51:20 PM »
They are all equally good. Depends on what you want out of a bike.
I have never owned a Suzuki but my neighbor growing up owned a Suzuki TS 185 that was a good bike. I had a Yamaha DT 250 back in the early 70's. Both bikes were rode hard and held together very well.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 02:17:13 PM »
Klav, I've owned a few Kwacks (mainly sports 750's & 900's) and found them as reliable as Hondas & Yamahas, but more importantly to me, they have a certain something Hondas don't have... Soul?  Hard to put your finger on it.

I agree with you.  I have owned more Yamahas than any other brand with Kawasaki Second.  I have never bought a Honda for myself although I bought a couple of Honda Dirt bikes for my son.  I know that Honda makes very reliable bikes but since the 80s they just seem over sanitized.  For the most part Kawasakis are just more exciting motorcycles even if they haven't always been as refined as Hondas tend to be.  I have heard Hondas described as two wheel Acuras.  For some people that's great.

Honda has been putting Linked brakes on their scooters and some of their motorcycles which is a huge turnoff for me.  Luckily, that's been going away and being replaced by ABS.

Lately Honda has been bringing out some bikes that really appeal to me like the Grom, Super Cub, Monkey bike and ADV150 so who knows, I may buy a Honda some day.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 06:52:36 PM »
Stig are you going to purchase a motorcycle?

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 10:04:38 AM »
Stig are you going to purchase a motorcycle?

Hadn't thought that could be the reason for asking....  Well Stig?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 12:48:37 AM »
Wondered if I might not be the only scooter rider who thinks about returning to the pleasure of a motorcycle again.
Darn few new scooters to look at...but no shortage of interesting smaller bikes.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 01:50:08 AM »
You only go around once.  If it doesn't cause financial burden and that's what you want go for it.  At this point I'm  happy with what I have and will probably thin the herd in the future. 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 07:48:48 AM »
Wondered if I might not be the only scooter rider who thinks about returning to the pleasure of a motorcycle again.
Darn few new scooters to look at...but no shortage of interesting smaller bikes.
Stig

I have two motorcycles as well as two scooters and expect to be riding both motorcycles and scooters for quite some time. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()