Author Topic: 2013 Kymco UXV500i , solenoid issues? Help!  (Read 1336 times)

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
2013 Kymco UXV500i , solenoid issues? Help!
« on: August 25, 2020, 01:32:05 PM »
Last week I drove 17 hours hauling my 2013 Kymco UXV 500i to the western high plains in Colorado and thought I had all things ready to roll.  First day, my bike drove perfectly.  Got back to camp after going through rugged sage tundra off road and my Kymco performed perfectly.  Now looking back I was very lucky after returning back to camp.  This could have happened in off road in back country!   

Later at camp I decided to restart my Kymco and I would get power and the EFI pump would work lights came on but the starter would not get the charge from the solenoid so the engine would not turn over.  There was no clicking sound from the starter.  Man, was I disappointed but very lucky.  So here I am my Kymco is down but I was not out.  I went to a remote Arctic Cat shop and purchased a basic lawnmower solenoid and connected the green fuse block think I'd have it back working.  Nope, nada, the machine would not work.  Turn the key, EFI worked to prime the engine, lights come on and starter would not get any juice to start the engine.

Let me step back a bit.  During my first day after having starting issues I discovered the battery positive post during my ride literally broke off and thinking I could have shorted out a sensor somewhere.  I replaced the battery and reconnected things per my comments above.  The primary red wire to the solenoid showed power was doing into the solenoid but  no power was coming out of the solenoid to the ignition key or other possible key areas like the sensor for the starter and shifter to recognize the gear was in neutral.  So what I did for the week was by pass the solenoid and jumped the two primary post with my needle nose pliers. I turned the ignition key jumped the solenoid posts with my needle nose pliers and the engine would start and run perfectly.  Each time I stopped I would jump the solenoid to start the motor.

I am hoping someone here can help me trace where each sensor is located so the  solenoid can start my Kymco.  Any other suggestions great appreciated.   Where do I start?

1. The ignition wire sensor to check?
2. Is there a shifter sensor that requires the shifter to acknowledge the sensor is in neutral?
3. Is there a brake pedal sensor that that could be the issue?
4. Any other suggestions?

I have ordered a new Kymco Solenoid and will be here in the next week.

Note: the engine is so strong logging over 250 miles in back country but I had to jump start the solenoid to do this.

I hope someone here can help me what areas to check so I can start my Kymco UVX 500i with my ignition key. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:38:31 PM by TomOnTheRun »

souzamoto

• View Profile
Re: 2013 Kymco UXV500i , solenoid issues? Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 05:44:18 PM »
Go back to the original solenoid, there should be a built in fuse(s) and a wire gang plug. Check the fuse, if good then Wiggle the wire gang plug with the key turned to the start position. See what happens
CJS

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 07:38:35 PM »
Trailer biking is hard on machines.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 08:41:24 PM »
You do know on that machine you have to push on the brake pretty hard before the starter works, right? Have you checked out that end yet?

By the way, I am a little confused about UXV500i on one hand and "bike" on the other. Could you clear that up for me, please?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 12:56:58 PM »
"You do know on that machine you have to push on the brake pretty hard before the starter works, right? Have you checked out that end yet?

By the way, I am a little confused about UXV500i on one hand and "bike" on the other. Could you clear that up for me, please?"

Absolutely I understand the brake has to be pressed to start the bike/UTV/UXV 500i.  Bike is a common term used for ATV/UTV/Side X Side machines.    Also the shifter has to be in NEUTRAL too besides pressing in the brake.   Is there is a sensor with the brake?  If so where is it located?  I guess I need to check wire harness plugs.  So when we are using the term sensor are we talking about the plug connectors at the end of each wire harness?

I just purchased a new OEM solenoid to start over.  All fuses are good too.    In the desert I had limited Kymco shop options and I am no mechanic.  In a town with one diner there were not many Kymco dealers to locate.   :)

Electricity is a process of elimination and more then likely a simple fix.  However, I need help to start.  Oh, I did remove the green plug from the solenoid cleaned contacts, checked the 30amp fuse and wiggled the connectors.  I am hoping someone with KYMCO electrical wire harness knowledge and experience can help me eliminate what I anticipate may be many steps to find where the electrical issue that is causing my issues.

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 12:58:20 PM »

It's a start point.  Maybe there was to much corrosion.  Will do thank you.

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 01:00:35 PM »

I don't follow.  What is your point.  I have a 16' dual axle trailer that I pulled my UVX 500i.  Not trying to be smart.  I am trying to understand the cause and effect of your comment.

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
Everyone, thank you very much for your comments.   I really do appreciate your feedback.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »
If yours is scooter---I believe they were designed to be ridden.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 02:20:46 PM »
If yours is scooter---I believe they were designed to be ridden.
UXV if I'm not wrong is a side x side and not street legal so you have to trailer to your destination for off road.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »
UXV if I'm not wrong is a side x side and not street legal so you have to trailer to your destination for off road.

Yes I have to trailer my Side X Side.   I'm not sure how this relates to my issue.   Can you contribute anything to help me resolve my issues?

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 01:45:43 PM »
You do know on that machine you have to push on the brake pretty hard before the starter works, right? Have you checked out that end yet?

By the way, I am a little confused about UXV500i on one hand and "bike" on the other. Could you clear that up for me, please?

After reading in the manual I do not think you have to push on the brake to turn on the motor as long as it's in Neutral.  I re-read the manual but not sure that is correct.   If you have confirmation please cite that in the manual.  Thank you for your followup.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 02:11:22 PM »
Yes I have to trailer my Side X Side.   I'm not sure how this relates to my issue.   Can you contribute anything to help me resolve my issues?
I was trying to explain to John who thought this was a scooter that trailering is the only option to  get to where you need to use it. I would make sure all the ground wires have a good connections as well.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 02:14:03 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 10:00:00 PM »
I park mine in, ah...PARK! When I start it in PARK the brake pedal must be pushed for starter to engage. Have not tried to start in neutral but will soon! I honestly do not know where the switch is on the brake pedal! Could be a plunger switch  or brake line pressure. I will look....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 11:08:41 AM »
Thank you all.  I really appreciate everyones support.  Damn, once started the Kymco rang great!  Just like to do it with the ignition key.   8)

There is nothing more vexing then electricity and he spaghetti harness.

Checking the ground wires is a good idea.  Some shorted out I suspect after inspecting things my battery post actually cracked apart upon inspection.  I guess using a line one tester for all the wire harnesses on my Kymco is he logical next steps.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()