Author Topic: Riding while on Blood Thinners?  (Read 1315 times)

SemperVee

• View Profile
Riding while on Blood Thinners?
« on: September 01, 2020, 04:46:13 PM »

Just released from hospital for PE and placed twice daily on blood thinners.   Anyone here of our mature audience still riding while on blood thinners?
I'm on Eliquis for my 2nd PE and thinking I may have to stay on meds remainder of my life.

Easy to say no one gets out alive anyway - But this is scary contemplating doing without what I have been doing daily riding for 48 years now with only one accident all that time. 
2018 Kymco Spade 150
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2011 Kymco i300 DT (sold)
Many miles and smiles over 47 years of MC riding.
USMC Airwing Retired in Seattle WA

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Riding while on Blood Thinners?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 05:08:20 PM »
Probably safer than riding without them? [emoji23]
Seriously, did you ask your physician if you were OK to drive? If yes, then ride on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 07:17:56 PM »
I have had some friends who continued to ride while on blood thinners.  Wear good gear to minimize road rash and other injuries if you do go down.  Only you can decide if its worth the risk.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
Like 150i ABS

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 08:02:18 PM »
I, at 81 have had stroke and heart attack, take 11 meds---consider myself  in good health, been at this 65 years/ride everyday with none bothering me.   I would not have made it this long if they bothered me.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 11:37:33 PM »
We have a history of strokes and artery problems in our family. So I’ve been on a daily Aspirin for years just as a precaution. Due to the Aspirin I had to stay a bit longer in hospital after an operation some time ago.
 It doesn’t bother me, life without handlebars is not going to work for me.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 12:47:07 AM »
First it was some of the Navy doc's, then the ER guys in California got on a kick to stop motorcycling because of the trauma in a wreck. Well, the trauma can be quite horrific but so can it be in a car or airplane. The doc's would have us in a padded coffin if we gave 'em an even chance. Blood thinners CAN be problematic with injury but they don't change perception nor reaction. Some of their kick-back incentive prescription could make a space cadet out of a store dummy and THOSE need for you to park your bike. Not blood thinners. Ride on!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »
  Now that is has been a month I got out and got a nice ride in.  WEARING my medical bracelet saying on Anti-Coagulants in case of emergency but I always wear all the gear all the time or ATGATT as we say in the MC community.  Just getting use to being cognizant of it but not rule my life after 48 years of riding..    ;) ;)
2018 Kymco Spade 150

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Riding while on Blood Thinners?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 07:33:29 AM »
  Now that is has been a month I got out and got a nice ride in.  WEARING my medical bracelet saying on Anti-Coagulants in case of emergency but I always wear all the gear all the time or ATGATT as we say in the MC community.  Just getting use to being cognizant of it but not rule my life after 48 years of riding..    ;) ;)
Good news!  I’ve been on a daily aspirin for nearly 20 years and, like you, ride with care and all the kit. Be aware, but don’t let it stop you being who you are!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 04:43:36 PM »
my GF is recently on Eliquis, for those who think asprin is a blood thinner, its like comparing 3.2 beer to Everclear, and the Eliquis sh** is expensive, over $500 a month and many time more potent than asprin for thinning blood
RandyO
IBA#9560

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »
my GF is recently on Eliquis, for those who think asprin is a blood thinner, its like comparing 3.2 beer to Everclear, and the Eliquis sh** is expensive, over $500 a month and many time more potent than asprin for thinning blood

Randy,  If cost is an issue she can get Coumadin for about $4.00 a month but then has to test every week or so.  I have gone off Eliquis and now on Xaralto for side effects, but the good news is I only take it once a day now versus Eliquis twice a day.     You are right, Aspirin is not a alternative to Anti-coagulants and in reading I have found it to be as DEADLY as many over the counter Nsaids.   The good news is NOAC's like Eliquis cause no more internal bleeding than Aspirin, but no less either.
2018 Kymco Spade 150

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 09:46:43 PM »

Randy,  If cost is an issue she can get Coumadin for about $4.00 a month but then has to test every week or so.  I have gone off Eliquis and now on Xaralto for side effects, but the good news is I only take it once a day now versus Eliquis twice a day.     You are right, Aspirin is not a alternative to Anti-coagulants and in reading I have found it to be as DEADLY as many over the counter Nsaids.   The good news is NOAC's like Eliquis cause no more internal bleeding than Aspirin, but no less either.

she's working on getting the scrip changed to Coumadin, and at the same time trying to get assistance for Eliquis, from Bristol Meyer Squibb, the doctor gave her a coupon for the first month of Eliquis for free, she's just got a week supply left
RandyO
IBA#9560

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 11:28:31 PM »
If you do ride, consider wearing a medical bracelet possibly so if something did happen, any first responders may know to treat you specially. I remember being on plavix for 1 month after stents and it seemed I little pinpricks of blood oozing from a bruise.

2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 11:34:32 PM »
I wear SeaFoam underpants - to alert the EMS I've special additives in me.
Lot of seniors riding scooters - ER personnel probsbly know bloodthinners are a given

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 12:55:32 AM »
there are Medical Data Carriers available that attach to your helmet
RandyO
IBA#9560