Author Topic: Riding while on Blood Thinners?  (Read 1564 times)

OldCoot

• View Profile
    • Steve Wike
Re: Riding while on Blood Thinners?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 08:01:13 PM »
You'll probably survive bleeding on blood thinners. It's more likely old age, rickety bones, bad hearts, etc. will kill us. During one of my four heart attacks the IV fell out of my arm (under the blanket/sheet) while I was riding in the ambulance to the hospital. It was a 35 minute trip. When they got me into the ER and the nurse took off the covers she yelled "WHAT HAPPENED?!" when she saw a puddle of blood from my knees to the middle of my back. I had no idea what happened, of course, but they figured it out. Within a few minutes I had stents 3, 4,  and 5 inserted. I don't much worry about bleeding anymore. After 4 heart attacks and a couple of VT's I figure my time just hasn't run out ...yet.
 :)
OldCoot, aka Brick Head
Greer, SC

OldCoot

• View Profile
    • Steve Wike
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
Wow. I'm sorry. Very sorry.
Serious diagnosis can be devastating. As encouragement, I was diagnosed with stage 4 congestive heart failure with a very bad heart valve that was beyond repair. The doctors told me I would die soon if I didn't get a heart transplant. I had already decided that if that came up I would not go through with such an operation. I told the doctors in the hospital room in front of my wife and three sons. My sons were very angry. My wife knew why I'd decided what I did... it was purely on the basis of "quality of life." To my surprise, the doctors understood my decision and asked if they could pray for me... I was stunned. The encouraging thing is... it's been four years so far since their diagnosis. Every time I have a follow-up visit with my cardiologist he says the same thing, "You're doing much better than we expected."
All that to say this... no matter what the doctors say, you could live longer... lots longer... or not. Just enjoy whatever time you get. Love your family and friends. Laugh with them, hug them. Pray with them.
These past five years have been very good to me, even with all my additional trips to the hospital. Our family is closer, and we enjoy our times together very much. My quality of life is great... even though I don't ride much.
I hope and pray yours will be, too.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:54:27 PM by OldCoot »
OldCoot, aka Brick Head
Greer, SC

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 06:18:16 PM »

Thanks for the insight Old Coot.  I am humbled and while not believing in such religion as such I have come to accept no one gets out alive and things that use to anger me seem to have fallen by the wayside.  I have begin to take inventory of what time I have left.  Prior to the last few months I am a strong and very physical 65 year old who acts like someone much younger and have a much younger girlfriend and a geriatric cat who make me happy.   Seeing the end is not something I have spent much time wondering about but my mortality looms ahead.  I am mostly asymptomatic at this time but have found there is no rhyme or reason for brain tumors and the havoc they can release upon a body is very scary from what I have read about, much like earthquakes.  Tumors can lie dormant for any period of time before growing again, even after being cut out via cranial surgery.  Have a week to wait for neuro appointment.  Can't even comfort myself with some nicely aged Macallan scotch for fear of internal bleeding now on NOAC's...  Maybe the time to try something else I know is legal now for anxiety not in pill form!  Smile.
2018 Kymco Spade 150
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2011 Kymco i300 DT (sold)
Many miles and smiles over 47 years of MC riding.
USMC Airwing Retired in Seattle WA

OldCoot

• View Profile
    • Steve Wike
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 06:29:33 PM »
Thanks for the insight Old Coot.  I am humbled and while not believing in such religion as such I have come to accept no one gets out alive and things that use to anger me seem to have fallen by the wayside.  I have begin to take inventory of what time I have left.  Prior to the last few months I am a strong and very physical 65 year old who acts like someone much younger and have a much younger girlfriend and a geriatric cat who make me happy.   Seeing the end is not something I have spent much time wondering about but my mortality looms ahead.  I am mostly asymptomatic at this time but have found there is no rhyme or reason for brain tumors and the havoc they can release upon a body is very scary from what I have read about, much like earthquakes.  Tumors can lie dormant for any period of time before growing again, even after being cut out via cranial surgery.  Have a week to wait for neuro appointment.  Can't even comfort myself with some nicely aged Macallan scotch for fear of internal bleeding now on NOAC's...  Maybe the time to try something else I know is legal now for anxiety not in pill form!  Smile.

My intention was to encourage you to keep your chin up no matter what the doctors tell you. (They can be wrong.) I took what mine said as literal truth and sold my Mini Cooper, Motorcycle, and sold my home in the mountains of NC and moved down to the flatland of SC... all of which I would have waited to do if I thought I'd have another five years to enjoy those things. Although being stripped of all those external enjoyments has given me more time to enjoy some more important things like my family, so I can't complain. (And I still have my Kymco to putter around on when I feel up to it and the weather is nice.)
 ;)
OldCoot, aka Brick Head
Greer, SC

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 07:12:40 PM »
My intention was to encourage you to keep your chin up no matter what the doctors tell you. (They can be wrong.) I took what mine said as literal truth and sold my Mini Cooper, Motorcycle, and sold my home in the mountains of NC and moved down to the flatland of SC... all of which I would have waited to do if I thought I'd have another five years to enjoy those things. Although being stripped of all those external enjoyments has given me more time to enjoy some more important things like my family, so I can't complain. (And I still have my Kymco to putter around on when I feel up to it and the weather is nice.)
 ;)

Yup,  It is all risk management odds.  :^) 
2018 Kymco Spade 150
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2011 Kymco i300 DT (sold)
Many miles and smiles over 47 years of MC riding.
USMC Airwing Retired in Seattle WA

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 11:44:21 PM »
you guys a makin me feel healthy again, I take drugs for hypertension, cholesterol, anxiety, prostate, and seizure disorder, and I have a neuro-stimulator implant. I've had my gall bladder out after a bout with pancreatitis, and a couple of TIAs, and several diverticulitis attacks, so I am no stranger to the ambulance, I don't worry about myself as much as my GF, its been 5 weeks now, since her heart attack, I don't think she is getting the exercise she needs, and the price of Eliquis has her in tears more times than I can count.   
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 12:07:35 AM »
you guys a makin me feel healthy again, I take drugs for hypertension, cholesterol, anxiety, prostate, and seizure disorder, and I have a neuro-stimulator implant. I've had my gall bladder out after a bout with pancreatitis, and a couple of TIAs, and several diverticulitis attacks, so I am no stranger to the ambulance, I don't worry about myself as much as my GF, its been 5 weeks now, since her heart attack, I don't think she is getting the exercise she needs, and the price of Eliquis has her in tears more times than I can count.   
I'm sure you've already considered exploring Canadian pharmacy prices for the med?
Some folks in Dayton take bus trips north to fill med prescriptions.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 12:21:01 AM »
I'm sure you've already considered exploring Canadian pharmacy prices for the med?
Some folks in Dayton take bus trips north to fill med prescriptions.
Stig

hmm, hadn't considered that, only 2½ hours to Derby Line, VT/Stanstead, Que,  and I could visit relatives,  3 more years, and Eliquis will be open to making generics
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 01:55:54 AM »
hmm, hadn't considered that, only 2½ hours to Derby Line, VT/Stanstead, Que,  and I could visit relatives,  3 more years, and Eliquis will be open to making generics
Come to think of it, my late brother used to get some scripts from Israel. His wife was a master at saving a $.
(no, he died suddenly in hosp. of a heart attack after contracting shingles)
Do get both shots folks!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 09:45:55 PM »
her Doc called today, with 90day supply of samples, should be enuf time to get financial assist from Bristol Meyer Squibb set up
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()