Author Topic: I'd like to support local auto dealer....  (Read 651 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
I'd like to support local auto dealer....
« on: September 04, 2020, 04:49:35 PM »
I take my wife's car to the Toyota dealer for oil changes.

Asked about replacing the 8yr old battery, with a battery from their parts dept.
$150.
"Installed ...?"
No, $72 to install it.
I'll just have the oil change, thanks.

Swung by Advance Auto on the way home for a new Platinum DieHard - and tipped the guy $20 for putting it in.

Better battery, less $ and less aggro to my system.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: I'd like to support local auto dealer....
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 06:19:09 PM »
So you supported your local auto parts store as opposed to buying it online.  I try to support local businesses but only the ones who deserve it.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 06:40:07 PM »
Stig, as I was reading your post I was thinking that most auto parts stores will now install for free...then I got to the end where you went to the auto parts store and they installed for free! The $20 tip was a nice touch.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 10:59:59 PM »
I will shop local if they earn my business. Local mom and pop restaurant with home cooked food and always pleasant people. Tipped the entire staff (6 people) 5 bucks each tonight.  Local car dealer screwed me over and lied to me when I bought a new truck in 94 haven't been back and have bought several new vehicle's since then, just not from them. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 07:39:19 AM »
Sounds like we’re all pretty much of the same mind on this one Stig!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 01:58:24 PM »
I have found, what goes around, comes around.

I am, what I call, a "land use consultant" I am licensed as a land surveyor, wetland scientist, and a septic system designer, everyone needs my services at one time or another. Loyalty to my local multibrand motorsports dealer, has got me universal 15% discount, 30day terms, and more money flowing my way, for jobs, for the owner, employees, and word of mouth.

same goes for the independent shop where I take my Silverado. oh, and I needed a battery for it last week, $90 @ NAPA for their best 84 month battery, I've done work for them too, and I get word of mouth there too.
RandyO
IBA#9560

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 09:10:10 AM »
I take my wife's car to the Toyota dealer for oil changes.

Asked about replacing the 8yr old battery, with a battery from their parts dept.
$150.
"Installed ...?"
No, $72 to install it.
I'll just have the oil change, thanks.

Swung by Advance Auto on the way home for a new Platinum DieHard - and tipped the guy $20 for putting it in.

Better battery, less $ and less aggro to my system.

Stig
$72.00 seems STEEP. They must charge actual flat rate labor time. Most dealerships charge a set amount for batteries that’s far below their normal labor rate in order to get the business even if they don’t make any profit on labor. At Ford, our battery prices are competitive with the parts houses . And our warranty is pretty good. Either 18 months free replacement/6 yr pro rated or 3 years free/ 100 months pro rated. I think that’s just as good as the parts house. Again, I don’t know WHAT they’re thinking trying to charge 72.00 I believe we charge around 20 or so.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »
$72.00 seems STEEP. They must charge actual flat rate labor time. Most dealerships charge a set amount for batteries that’s far below their normal labor rate in order to get the business even if they don’t make any profit on labor. At Ford, our battery prices are competitive with the parts houses . And our warranty is pretty good. Either 18 months free replacement/6 yr pro rated or 3 years free/ 100 months pro rated. I think that’s just as good as the parts house. Again, I don’t know WHAT they’re thinking trying to charge 72.00 I believe we charge around 20 or so.

I HOPE their techs get paid well. We get .3 hours pay for battery installation. For a 20.00/hr tech, that 6.00.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 02:40:34 PM »
I HOPE their techs get paid well. We get .3 hours pay for battery installation. For a 20.00/hr tech, that 6.00.

The same fellow owns the Chevy dealer (remember, the kid put 6 Qt's in my 4 Qt Silverado), Kia, Toyota, and pretty much everything else line of cars.
. We don't have a local Ford dealer.
On their "menu" a spark plug replacement was @$200 for parts and labor for the Scion....about $800 to replace brake, trans & coolant fluids. Maybe - if another stimulus check arrives.
(I took my time and had the plugs out and replaced with $28 worth of Iridium NGK's in about 1/2 hour, with coffee break.)
I've stared in the Silverado's engine bay...don't think I'll try the 6 plugs in that baby.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 03:03:55 PM »
The same fellow owns the Chevy dealer (remember, the kid put 6 Qt's in my 4 Qt Silverado), Kia, Toyota, and pretty much everything else line of cars.
. We don't have a local Ford dealer.
On their "menu" a spark plug replacement was @$200 for parts and labor for the Scion....about $800 to replace brake, trans & coolant fluids. Maybe - if another stimulus check arrives.
(I took my time and had the plugs out and replaced with $28 worth of Iridium NGK's in about 1/2 hour, with coffee break.)
I've stared in the Silverado's engine bay...don't think I'll try the 6 plugs in that baby.

Stig
To funny I thought the same thing changing the plugs in my Ford V-10 that you have to follow a procedure to change. The mechanic has a special tool when the plugs break for removal. Takes about  out 15 minutes for each broken plug to remove .  Last change 3 of the 10 plugs broke, new replacements are a different design not prone to break apart.

Independent mechanic that I have used for 30 years. Total cost to change 10 new  plugs and 10 new coil packs $300.  Worth every penny and I have the skin still attached to my knuckles.

Battery I can handle about a ten minute job.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 08:31:43 AM by Kansas kymco »

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »
$72.00 seems STEEP.

not sure what it takes to get at a battery in the Toyota in question, some things now days require taking the car half apart, a friend with Caddy, had to remove the nose to change a headlight .... he replaced the other side as well, once he had it all abard
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 09:33:36 PM »
not sure what it takes to get at a battery in the Toyota in question, some things now days require taking the car half apart, a friend with Caddy, had to remove the nose to change a headlight .... he replaced the other side as well, once he had it all abard
No, nothing to it. 2 hold down bolts and then the cables - I thought I'd have an 'expert' do it - so as not to do something dumb with the ECU.
However - no worries , even when he disconnected and reconnected the wrong cable first, and banged my paint twice....and forgot the heat shield.
Took just a few mins once he found where his coworkers hid the 12mm socket.
The $20 was mainly to get him to go back inside the store.
Lesson learned, here.
DIY.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:37:34 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 03:18:44 AM »
My brother took his newish car (a Volvo I think) to Autozone to have the battery checked: the kid removed the battery and when he reinstalled it the alarm wouldn't shut off, the radio was inoperative and the car had to be towed to the dealer. 

I just hope my '89 Camry four banger lasts as long as me...no airbag to smash my face, no alarm, easy access to battery, plugs and oil filter. What with the computerized new cars and "smart" phones I feel very dumb indeed. But if you have a Model A Ford that needs the brakes adjusted I'm your man! 
2009 GV 250

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 08:35:34 AM »
I remember when I purchased a new 94 GMC truck for $14,995. Now the discounts are more then what I paid for the truck.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 10:07:17 AM »
I remember when I purchased a new 94 GMC truck for $14,995. Now the discounts are more then what I paid for the truck.
Scary isn't it KK, the list price over here for the wife's old bus is £80K and rising!  We won't ever be buying new - not that we ever did!!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()