Author Topic: 2014 uxv 700i will not start.  (Read 1862 times)

Marty61

• View Profile
2014 uxv 700i will not start.
« on: September 06, 2020, 03:03:28 AM »
 So it has been running OK but I thought the battery was a little weak when starting so I replaced battery and it would fire right up. We took it for about an hour drive on a town road and got back and parked it. Next day tried to start it and it would not start. Engine spun no problem but if never fired. I replaced spark plug and check it and plug was sparking fine. Installed plug and still nothing when turning over engine. Pulled plug and plug was dry. Poured some gas in plug hole and reinstalled plug and it fired right up and I ran it around for about a half hour. So it has to be getting gas from gas tank I think.
 I shut it off and try it again. Same thing will not start and I pull plug to fine it dry again. OK I guess not getting fuel ? It must be getting it to run like it does after priming it. I pull gas line at carb and turn key to have pump kick on and it shoots a steady stream of gas. I do not have a pressure tester.  Next is hook fuel line back up and pull injector. Rig it up with the 9 volt battery and it opens and I try spraying carb cleaner through it and I get one drip. Hook injector up back up to fuel line and turn key on and get one little mist you can hardly see. OK new injector. I hook up new one and it shoots out a pretty good amount of mist. Put that back together and still nothing.
 I know this is long but what am I missing. It has spark and is getting fuel but will not start. Where do I go next ? any ideas ?

Marty61

• View Profile
Re: 2014 uxv 700i will not start.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:27:14 AM »
 Going to a mechanic this week end and see what he can find. I will let you know what I am missing. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »
Sounds like contaminated fuel. Ethanol gas? Makes viscous snot if it sits too long in the tank. Have a new, old stock DT300i that did that very thing. Reverse the pressure hose to the spray head of injector to blow out the snot. Then defuel the tank and clean that out. Fresh fuel should do it!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Marty61

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 07:52:31 PM »
 Well still no mechanic BUT !

I got it going the other day and ran hard for an hour and half pushing a dirt pile around. Parked it and let t sit for a day. Tried it and it started righted up. Ran it around and parked it again. Two days after that tried to start it again and nothing. Right back where I was. Engine spins but never fires. Machine was setting in park.  Grabbed steering wheel and rocked the whole thing back and fourth. You could feel machine come up against the park gear rocking forward and back.  Hit the key again and let pump run up and turned key. Engine didn't turn over only about once and started right up ! What the heck ? It is a 2014 so I don't think it has the tech for a gear sensor or does it.
 I think maybe a fuel pump problem now. While rocking back and fourth I could her the fuel in tank slashing around pretty good. Looking fuel gauge it says it's full and I know it's not.

Marty61

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 03:18:01 AM »
 Well I got it running and starting good again. The problem turned out to be the fuel pump. Yes you could hear it run and it did pump fuel. I tried to hold my finger over the end of the fuel line and hit the key. The pump ran and I could feel the pressure build and then pump would shut off. Never spilled a drop of fuel. I shouldn't be able to hold the pressure back with a finger. I ordered a new pump and now it works great again. So it was a fuel pressure problem all along.
  Getting a new fuel pump was a real one. None could be found in country and had to be order from china. Yes china and it had to come over on a boat. Really a boat and then get shipped cross country. Took like six and half weeks to get here. Fifteen minutes to change out.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 04:05:03 AM »
Thanks for the follow-up! Your fuel pressure test is added to the grass roots procedures! Don't know offhand what the pressure should be BUT you can't hold it with your finger. I know I could not in the episode above. So it is a valid test!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 08:18:45 PM »
Many thanks for keeping us updated thru your trials and tribulations...glad to see things worked out for you.  Just a suggestion here....a common problem for fuel pump failure
is crud in tank fouling the pump!  May I suggest an inline filter between tank and pump, it might prevent a repeat of your issue.

Marty61

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 10:09:49 PM »
 I am no expert at this thing. I'll try an answer last two questions.
 Dealer told me fuel pressure should be between 50 and 60 PSI. I could not hold that back without it squirting out someplace. So holding finger over the end of fuel line is not a proper test but worked for a shade tree mechanic.

Fuel filter between tank and injector sounds like a good idea. With that being said the pump has a filter on it. Any fuel it takes in has to pass through this filter first. I know this because I pulled the pump and pumped out tank. One reason was to get rid of what could be bad fuel and other reason to clean tank.  Fuel filter did not look that bad but I did try to clean it just the same. One thing I did not do was pull filter off pump and try it. I think because pump was working but just not hard enough.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()