Author Topic: Short scooter life  (Read 458 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Short scooter life
« on: September 12, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »
In KC craigslist there's a wrecked Genuine Buddy 50 listed for sale. Has 196 miles on it.  Front end damage listed for $1995. now $450.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Short scooter life
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 03:10:31 PM »
Nice winter project?...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »
Nice winter project?...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I thought about it but don't know if I know anyone any longer that can straighten a bent fork. I could fix the front plastic with fiberglass.  They hit something pretty hard so don't know if the frame itself was damaged or just one of the forks.  To many projects now to take on any more. 

Need to wire and insulat my new building and put chip board on lower half of walls and sheet rock on top half. Install led lighting and my collection of lighted motorcycle/scooter signs. Will just use window A/C and baseboard heating.

I still have my project People S 250 to start on as well.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »
Local auto dealer had a People S 250 with a broken leg shield for $2999.00
It had 8 miles on it.
Was repo'd for nonpayment and sold at auction. Poor guy barely got it home - before the bank took it back!
I made offers on it for 2 years - before it went somewhere....
He wouldn't budge - and, with 2 scoots at home, I didn't need it - so neither would I.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 05:04:00 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 05:21:09 PM »
I think the age of the scooter, and period (years if applicable) the scooter was not running since the accident is more important than the bent forks itself.

For a start - to my knowledge most of these scooters have roller- or ball a camshaft and con-rod bearings. To my experience at my job before I retired bearings tend to get rusted by time when our products have not been used for a few years. This caused all sorts of problems - including overheating problems.. The reason being - when a bearing get rusted the bearing grooves and balls / rollers are actually “pitted” due to the rust. Oil which normally lubricates the bearing gets forced into the small  “rust holes” on bearings when bearings are running after a number of years again - and bingo, overheating as a result of rusted bearings.
On an engine sitting for years - just imagine the damage caused by rust on piston sleeves.
Not to mention problems that can be caused by stale fuel, gunked carburetors, gunked fuel injectors, or rusted fuel tanks.

Right or wrong - I think any given scooter or whatever was sitting for years is a “no-no” - specially when the prospective buyer has limited technical knowledge.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »
Scooter fan I agree the risk/reward is to low to take a chance. Did call the dealer out of curiosity and the guy bought a pair of scooters . The guy's daughter hit a curb so he just bought another new scooter from the dealer.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 10:26:31 PM »
There is a 2005 Vespa LX 150  in Chicago that runs with a melted wiring harness with 479 miles on ebay.

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 01:47:23 AM »
I'm new here, Kansas, so I have 2 questions if you don't mind. Where in Kansas, and why so many scooters of the same make & size? I can see a couple dozen cars or bikes, but would not double up on one with so many options.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 02:22:01 AM »
I'm new here, Kansas, so I have 2 questions if you don't mind. Where in Kansas, and why so many scooters of the same make & size? I can see a couple dozen cars or bikes, but would not double up on one with so many options.
I joke that some  people collect t-shirts when they visit a place I collect scooters.  How many plates and silverware do you have? Do they all match?

All kidding aside I started out getting some scooters together for friends to take a trip around  Lake Superior. I ran into good deals that had been sitting in people's garages with low miles and mint condition.  I found out I can flip them and make some money and keep the cream of the crop.

Why all the same? See first sentence if we ride around the lake we will all be on the same scooters and I  have knowledge of that model.  One 20k BMW cycle would equal my collection.

Where in Kansas? It's listed by my post as a lot of people on the forum.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »
Local auto dealer had a People S 250 with a broken leg shield for $2999.00
It had 8 miles on it.
Was repo'd for nonpayment and sold at auction. Poor guy barely got it home - before the bank took it back!
I made offers on it for 2 years - before it went somewhere....
He wouldn't budge - and, with 2 scoots at home, I didn't need it - so neither would I.
Stig
I see that as well in my quest. There is a GV 250 in KC (estate sale) very low miles and in mint condition but the asking price is unrealistic.  I see dealers that get a low mileage Kymco in and ask unrealistic prices as well.  I'll low ball an offer because I have no emotional attachment and don't need the scooter. 

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 02:21:48 AM »
Seen on CL Duluth Minnesota  a couple of Vespas that had minor damage but dead titles.  A 2012 150  and a 2015 150 with low mileage but can't be used on the street because of insurance company did in the titles. One had 1400 miles the other I believe was 2900 miles.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:32:15 AM by Kansas kymco »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()