Author Topic: What happened to DRL's and auto-on lights?  (Read 767 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
What happened to DRL's and auto-on lights?
« on: September 22, 2020, 11:17:33 AM »
Sitting here coaching the world from my sidewalk table...
Seeing too many newer cars going by 1/2 hr before sunrise -- without their lights on.
Auto On and DRL's were standard for a time. Now regs have changed again on newer cars. Leaving too many idiots driving "stealth".
Stig out.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to DRL's and auto-on lights?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 11:22:51 AM »
And the temp is dropping here.....as predicted, before sunrise.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:51:15 PM »
I am with you! Not that I operate perfectly all the time but there is a scan required, a "what if..." sequence to operating anything that seems to be completely missing with cars and farm machinery. Coupled with NO lane discipline it can get down right scary!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 06:10:02 AM »
A few years ago I turned off my DTR lights on my 4x4 to save replacing the $10 light-bulbs so often. The next day, a senior citizen turned left and clobbered my front.  "Oh, sorry, didn't see you," he said.  That same day I reconnected my DTR lights, and haven't had any problems since then.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 07:01:52 AM »
Not all vehicles have DRL's while mandatory in Canada it wasn't in US. I know Chrysler it was an option. Where I use to work we were required to have the main head lights on when we drove.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 10:24:31 AM »
Not all vehicles have DRL's while mandatory in Canada it wasn't in US. I know Chrysler it was an option. Where I use to work we were required to have the main head lights on when we drove.
In 1968 I started riding my Honda motorcycle  with the headlight on - after reading that the Greyhound bus line suffered fewer accidents while driving with the lights always on.
People would point, honk, advise --"your light is on!"
Stig
....still, one senior guy turned left in front of me. Needed a new clutch lever and turn pod. Waited on the hood of his car....while he shopped.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:28:43 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 08:26:34 PM »
In 1968 I started riding my Honda motorcycle  with the headlight on - after reading that the Greyhound bus line suffered fewer accidents while driving with the lights always on.
People would point, honk, advise --"your light is on!"
Stig
....still, one senior guy turned left in front of me. Needed a new clutch lever and turn pod. Waited on the hood of his car....while he shopped.
That was the reason at work as well fewer accidents.  They also had a policy of avoiding backing up when possible. The majority of accidents occur while backing. We also had to have CPR training along with fire training every year along with about a 100 CBT's. We had to take the Smith driver training program every year as well.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 04:55:29 AM »
That’s True. But because USA and Canada spec vehicles are often made on the same assembly line, the feature is available on all the cars. It can be turned on or off by the dealer using their scan tool. I live in Florida. And turned the feature ON on my 2007 Lincoln Town car and my sister’s 2011 Ford Focus. The Town car also has automatic headlights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 05:39:51 AM »
In Iowa, if it's wet enough that your wipers are on you must also have your lights on. Every day I see people with car colors that blend in with the road and surroundings, 15 minutes till sunset and still no lights. Sometimes I'd like to be that traffic cop.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 11:33:44 AM »

In Iowa, if it's wet enough that your wipers are on you must also have your lights on. Every day I see people with car colors that blend in with the road and surroundings, 15 minutes till sunset and still no lights. Sometimes I'd like to be that traffic cop.

Amen!
 Stig
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:11:18 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 12:59:17 PM »
Kansas has the law about if the wipers are on the lights need to be on, still people don't do it. I have seen people drive in heavy fog without lights as well when the vehicle was just about invisible. 

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 06:55:10 PM »
Kansas has the law about if the wipers are on the lights need to be on, still people don't do it. I have seen people drive in heavy fog without lights as well when the vehicle was just about invisible.
I’m glad that with many vehicles, the headlights automatically come on when the wipers are turned on. But As for fog, I guess there’s no way to idiot proof a car to automatically turn on the lights as of now.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 07:14:58 PM »
I’m glad that with many vehicles, the headlights automatically come on when the wipers are turned on. But As for fog, I guess there’s no way to idiot proof a car to automatically turn on the lights as of now.

I was shooting pix in the dark and then the fog this morning....and I kept a close eye out for light-less cars coming along my road. Worse case scenario is they'll run over my tripod mounted camera!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 07:18:51 AM »
Ain’t no cure for stupid!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 09:34:52 PM »
The local inbreds here all drive w/ their lights on all the time. I think they think it makes their car (from the 80's🙄) look newer or more expensive. It's pretty much all of them that do it. They also never wash their cars or themselves, ever.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()