Author Topic: Ever think of the Maint. costs of owning scooter in US??  (Read 466 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Ever think of the Maint. costs of owning scooter in US??
« on: October 10, 2020, 02:41:32 PM »
With over 400,000 miles of rubberband drive scooters, since 1990, most in US, but some in Korea/Japan I think about costs of keeping scooter in good/safe shape here......and it ain't cheap...and I do most work myself but, my 2019 XTown 300i has cost me 2 rear tires (maybe $125), Puig Touring screen near $200 plus $40 to have it cut 4 inches, and the other day $190 for rear wheel removal ( swing arm bearing stuck on axle, drive belt change ( I had OEM belt on hand--belt $100 or so) Plus new front tire, maybe $80 (mounted my self)  And so far on this bike at least 4 bottles of Ride On $60 plus tax.---this adds up to $795 plus oil and own time....all for 11,000 miles=not cheap!!  Compare to my first Hyundai Gensis, 80,000 miles with 8 $30 oil changes, a $300  set of tires==so $540 for those miles.

Now as experienced motorcyclist I think when you use 2 wheels like I do, motorcycles are much cheaper/ my last Honda CB300F, 18,000 miles, oil and one rear tire, maybe $100.  When I bought it got Hepco & Becker saddle bags/rear rack maybe $300--had windshields in my stock, as well as top box and tank bag.
Never spent anything on bike shop Maint., did rear tire myself---WalMart 10-40 oil cheap. Bike never broke.

My TU 250, expensive to buy new, never paid for any shop time, 10,000 miles,, nothing ever broke---got tired of NO CENTERSTAND!

Wife drove all the Hyundai miles, I did a couple of trips, though 3.8 liter V-6, my light gas foot=35 MPG.

Point: scooters used a lot in US, ain't cheap.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Ever think of the Maint. costs of owning scooter in US??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 02:53:10 PM »
Take your point John, but suspect cost of maintaining them is not foremost in our minds when we take to riding? Then once we do, most of us are hooked for life!
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 02:55:27 PM »
John, I agree, riding scooters and motorcycles isn't cheap. It's a pretty expensive hobby for most..but then again, what hobby isn't expensive? Look at any hobby - fishing, golf, hunting, high end bicycling, motorcycles...the sky is the limit on what you can spend!

I read on other forums people questioning if going to 2 wheels will save them a lot of money over driving in 4 wheels...many (most?) times it will not.

I know some will question the 'hobby' part of riding, but for most people this is really a hobby. I guess we all choose where to spend our money.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 04:40:47 PM »
My bikes that I have had, are about mid-range in operating costs compared to my other vehicles I have or have had recently,
I use them for business, so I have a good tracking of all costs my most inexpensive vehicles to own and operate, surprisingly, BMW 3 series cars, a 320i @24¢/mi and a 325e at only 23¢/mi,  my SV650, came in at 36¢/mi, more than a couple of Jeep Cherokees that were 33¢ & 35¢, My V-Strom, is up there @ 45¢, higher than my Silverado 42¢, my most expensive, vehicle, a full size Chevy G30 van @ 53¢

everyone thinks I ride to save $$, maybe on a smaller bike, my V-stom,  $300 worth of tires every 5k, chains, sprockets, more frequent oil service, adds up, and they depreciate in value faster than a car, if you put comparable miles on them, what is a 3 year old SV650 with 100k worth, not as much as the 3 year old BMW 325e with 100K (proportionately)

but I don't own scooters , and my K-Pipe, I haven't had around long enuf to come up with a real figure, but I'm hoping below 20¢, I didn't pay much for it, and it goes a ways on gas, insurance is cheap, but haven't had to replace other consumables yet.
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 05:51:29 PM »
Depends perhaps on how old your VW is?
Keeping it going towards a 3rd decade was costing me more than running my LIKE200i - no contest.
(bearing in mind the VW's engine, proper. was never touched ....)
Maybe I'm fooling myself - but belt, rollers, clutch, 4 tires, oils......beats automobile upkeep over the past 8 years.

I'll never buy another car - unless the Mrs fusses, then it will be hers....and in time I won't remember where it's parked.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 10:55:52 PM »
Same thing could be said about most hobbies.  Scooter's are pretty far down the list for cost of ownership when you consider aircraft, boating,  RV'ing.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 11:18:26 PM »
If you include the cost of insurance, the Kymco is ahead of the car in my garage.  The car costs me $1800/year for minimal coverage, and the Kymco is less than $100.  The Kymco wins.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 01:00:32 AM »
If you include the cost of insurance, the Kymco is ahead of the car in my garage.  The car costs me $1800/year for minimal coverage, and the Kymco is less than $100.  The Kymco wins.

ouch, you must live in an accident prone zip code, thats 4x what I pay annually for my Silverado, and I got a lot better than minimum coverage
RandyO
IBA#9560

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 05:40:02 AM »
ouch, you must live in an accident prone zip code, thats 4x what I pay annually for my Silverado, and I got a lot better than minimum coverage
I think it's because I have two teen-age drivers in my household!  I'm trying to persuade them to take the scooter, but not much luck so far :-)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 10:45:22 AM »
Please remember scooters/motorcycles are not hobby for me, they are transportation, over 75 new bikes scooters since 1955.   I like riding with warranty.   Had several years where I rode 50,000 miles....many on my job.  Never went over 60,000 miles in year.   Right now not doing that as I am not paid to do it.

Cars can be nice with heater/AC/roof/radio/ ability to tap nap.

Best new car for me---my new '59 Messerschmitt KR 200---cheap/warm with heater/could sleep in it by taking front seat out/ didn't break/ radio real added luxury/ plastic top could roast you in summer....cloth top better option.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()