Author Topic: scooter sputtered this morning and then died.  (Read 3194 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
Re: scooter sputtered this morning and then died.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 11:44:45 PM »
OK everyone, My issue is solved. So I think I have narrowed down why my scooter was sputtering when going full throttle. Upon further inspection of the old carb I noticed that there was a part missing that must have gotten lost when I tore it doen for cleaning. My guess is that this missing piece was allowing too much fuel into the carb causing the bogging at mid to full throttle. I installed the new one and a brand new fuel filter and my bike is running like new again.

I am unaware of what this piece of the carb is, my guess is that it is a spacer that holds the needle in place.

Thank you everyone for all your help. It probably will not be long before something else happens.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 06:50:35 AM »
I’m glad you managed to get it going. Do’nt worry, depending on the milage on your scooter nothing is going to happen soon.
My Agility has done almost 26 000km at this stage and it is still in perfect condition. I just had to replace the CDI at 9300km as well as the Voltage Regulator at 18500km.
I bought an extra CDI and Voltage Regulator to have replacements ready just in case.
I also had to replace the clutch quite recenly.
It looks like my Agility should reach at least 40 to 50 000km without major problems.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2020, 11:03:02 AM »
OK everyone, My issue is solved. So I think I have narrowed down why my scooter was sputtering when going full throttle. Upon further inspection of the old carb I noticed that there was a part missing that must have gotten lost when I tore it doen for cleaning. My guess is that this missing piece was allowing too much fuel into the carb causing the bogging at mid to full throttle. I installed the new one and a brand new fuel filter and my bike is running like new again.

I am unaware of what this piece of the carb is, my guess is that it is a spacer that holds the needle in place.

Thank you everyone for all your help. It probably will not be long before something else happens.
Welcome to the world of "BOING!" and "PFFFT!" where small parts disappear never to be seen again! Each small part is so vital that whatever it is in will never work without it!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »
aschrauth - glad you figured it out, and thanks for sharing the fix with us. Out of curiosity, where did you get your replacement carb and how much did it cost? Was it a perfect 'plug and play' fit?

I also didn't notice, are you in the US or somewhere else?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 02:13:43 AM »
Here is the link, It was the exact OEM replacement for my origional carb. Very cheap as well. Yes, I am in the United States.

I took the bike out for a ride today and didn't get far on simply just plugging it in, had to make some minor adjustments to the idle speed screw. Upped the RPM by a tad and its running great!!

https://www.amazon.com/ChinesePartsPro-64178-Carburetor-125cc-scooter/dp/B00V6QM97Y/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ChinesePartsPro+64178+Carburetor+24mm+GY6+125cc+150cc+ATV+scooter+parts&qid=1603591853&sr=8-1
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »
wow..19 bucks for a new carb? That's crazy! That's the steal of the century. A Kymco OEM carb is probably a couple hundred bucks! Glad it all worked out.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 05:18:13 PM »
wow..19 bucks for a new carb? That's crazy! That's the steal of the century. A Kymco OEM carb is probably a couple hundred bucks! Glad it all worked out.

True. If I would find myself in a country with long cold winters like the US and I could get a new carb at that price I would surely have a new extra carb handy. It can easily eliminate possible problems as a matter of “plug in and play”.
I can see the  price of Agility’s rising in the US and Amazon running out of carbs real quick lol
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 01:31:42 AM »
Ok everybody. I Spoke to soon. >:(

10/26/20
Temperature 40 and rainy

So I got up for work today, the temperature was about 40 degrees out and to top it off it was starting to drizzle.  I started up my scooter to go to work and only lasted five minutes on the road before another breakdown, All of the sudden I herd a PUTT PUTT PUTTT and then the scooter shut off Tried starting it again but the only thing I could hear was the starter turning. So once again I was late for work and had to call in a ride. I chained up the scooter in a remote location and after work I started working on it adjusting the Idle speed screw and the mixture screw. Started the scooter up and it started imminently I Managed to get it running but only managed to go about 50ft thats when it started to idle slowly and then shutoff. 

My mother was with me at the time and the location I was at was in a bar Parking lot, She recommended that we ask one of the gentlemen in the bar if we could use their truck to haul my scooter back home, Luckily one nice gentleman agreed to do it for $20. (Towing was about 150.00 from a towtruck company)

I really am pulling my hair out at this point, I adjusted the idle mixture screw and the idle screw to the point to where the rear tires were not excessively spinning but not so much that when I revved the bike that It died. all of this I did after the automatic enricher closed. When tuning I listened to the engine, as soon as I got done giving it gas it slowly started to die down and then went back to Idling speed.

Could it be possible that my CDI is not putting out enough powerful of a spark, It was replaced awhile ago with a DC CDI from Amazon. Also forgot to mention that the new Carb came with a 102 main jet and a 36 pilot jet, Old carb has a 103 Main jet and a 35 pilot jet. 

After today I am about ready to put this Bike in storage for the winter and deal with it in the spring.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I have had one Heck of a day and am really stumped to why my scooter is doing this. Below I will list things that I have done to the bike since I purchased it Late September.

New CDI : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2B89NC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
New Carb: Hity Motor PD24J Carburetor for 4- Stroke GY6 125cc 150cc 152QMI 157QMJ Engine Scooter ATV Go Kart Kazuma Baja Kymco Taotao SunL Tank with Fuel Filter Spark Plug Intake Manifold and Adjusting Shims
New battery: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GGTCJ9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Shotglass of MMO added to about half a tank of Gas on 10/25/20
GY6 High preformance air scoop

Things that are stock on Bike
Exhaust
Emissions components
Spark plug wire
Spark plug
Magneto
Air filter

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 02:30:50 AM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 04:06:35 AM »
So you are back to square one? How many of these modifications were in place when this was running daily? How long, how many miles approximately did this run properly before this trouble started? When and why was the CDI replaced?
Whatvare adjustingbshims and where do they go?
Have you replaced the fuel tank? (List of changes: tank with fuel filter)
You listed spark plug as original but also said you had replaced it. So which?

I am thinking at this point you may have a vacuum leak somewhere and have adjustedvaround this leak. You may have an intermittent fuel problem at either the vacuum operated fuel valve or vent valve. Carb is incidental: doing the original dance with replacement carb.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 04:36:41 AM »
It was running daily about a week ago with everything except the air scoop, replacement carb and the shotglass of MMO in the gas tank.

CDI box was replaced about 200km ago due to a no spark condition, origional Kymco box went bad at around 900km

Fuel tank is OEM, new fuel filter was Installed with New carb.

Now that you mention it forgot to state in my previous post that the scooter ran somewhat better with the gas cap off but not by much.

Im not sure what the adjusting shims are that came with the new carb. I plugged the carb in on 9/24 and went for a 15 mile ride let the bike sit all day of 9/25 and started it backup again on 6/26. On 6/25 is when I added the MMO.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 12:55:59 PM »
Now that you mention it forgot to state in my previous post that the scooter ran somewhat better with the gas cap off but not by much.

could this be as simple as fixing a gas cap venting issue?
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 01:19:09 PM »
Lahawk took the words right out of my head! Somewhere on your scoot is a diagram of the evaporative system which includes the vacuum vent valve, carb, fuel tank, vacuum auto petcock, etc. This diagram is NOT in the service nor operator's manual.

Direct link:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/393386/Kymco-Kymco-Agility-125-Service-Manual.html?page=22
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 05:34:16 PM »
Is there anyway that I can vent the gas cap without drilling a hole? Iv herd the kymco gas caps are expensive. As far as my carb goes it ran fine when it was above a certain tempature. I rode on Saturday and the temp was in the 50's however, yesterday when I rode it was only in the 30's, that's when I started having trouble. I have a completely sealed airbox, could running another main jet based on temp prevent the engine from cutting out?
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2020, 05:55:29 PM »
Yes, there is a way other than drilling your gas cap! That's why I sent those screen shots from the service manual. There is a hose or two from the carb base that supply vacuum to the auto petcock and the vent valve. Usually it is ONE skinny tube from one brass tube on the carb, then a "T" branching to the two vacuum operated valves. What you do results in the auto petcock being the only thing connected to the carb. You have to find the vacuum valve for the fuel tank vent and re-plumb it. Usually, the vent line is a tube from the valve down towards the road surface. Keep that pretty much where it is but connect it directly to the other tube that goes to the tank usually a small steel tube out the side of the filler neck on the fuel tank BELOW the seat for the gas cap.

You can get plastic splice tubes at the auto parts stores generally or from Amazon.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2020, 06:13:37 PM »
Lahawk took the words right out of my head!

Karl - it's Iowa Hawk! IA hawk...not La hawk.  I know, hard to tell when it's all in lower case letters... 8)
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()