Author Topic: scooter sputtered this morning and then died.  (Read 3196 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: scooter sputtered this morning and then died.
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 06:23:59 PM »
Karl - it's Iowa Hawk! IA hawk...not La hawk.  I know, hard to tell when it's all in lower case letters... 8)
OOPS! Iowa not LA! Got it! Har, har!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 10:09:44 PM »
Ok, thank you for the advice. Ill also do a vaccume leak test this weekend when I have the time. I have another question to ask. Do you think the issue could be with the jet size of the new carb? The old one had a size 103MJ and a 35 pilot jet, the new carb has  a 102MJ and a 36 PJ?
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 12:36:43 AM »
No, I do not. One jet size wrong either way would maybe run crappy, hot, cold but notbfade out and quit. THAT is usually a fuel problem.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2020, 01:14:13 AM »
Ok so I did some searching around on my scooter and I found two connections to the intake manifold that both have "t" connections and both hook up to two canisters in the scooter one at the base and one. There also appears to be a line that has been crimped with a plastic cap on the filler neck of the gas tank is this supposed to be blocked off or connected to the carb?
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2020, 01:24:53 AM »
That is the vent line! Find some small tubing that will tolerate gasoline and hook to that tube! Route the tube toward the ground and secure with a zip tie. Your flame-outs should go away!

Make sure there are no open vacuum ports/tubes on or near the carb.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2020, 01:50:33 AM »
here is some pictures of what I took I attached another picture of the two T lines in a word document
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:52:39 AM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2020, 08:05:07 AM »
OOPS! Iowa not LA! Got it! Har, har!
A mistake I made too Karl. Fair step from LA to Iowa too!
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
here is some pictures of what I took I attached another picture of the two T lines in a word document

What year model is your Agility ?
My Agility is a 2009 model and it does not have a connection for a vent hose like that. My Agility came with a small hole at the side of the fuel cap. The small hole at the cap allows ventilation at the tank.
Like Crossbolt mentioned - the hose linked to the connection just under the cap should be a vent opening to your tank. The hose should not be connected to anything and there should be no plug at the far end.

I think you just need to make sure that that hose has not been pinched in a closed position down the line.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2020, 05:20:04 PM »
What year model is your Agility ?
My Agility is a 2009 model and it does not have a connection for a vent hose like that. My Agility came with a small hole at the side of the fuel cap. The small hole at the cap allows ventilation at the tank.
Like Crossbolt mentioned - the hose linked to the connection just under the cap should be a vent opening to your tank. The hose should not be connected to anything and there should be no plug at the far end.

I think you just need to make sure that that hose has not been pinched in a closed position down the line.

It's an 09 model
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2020, 05:23:56 PM »
Ok so I took the plastic cap off of the gas filler neck and attached a fuel hose on the nipple. I plan on tuning the carb this weekend I also preformed a smoke test and no leaks were visible from the evap system.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2020, 07:13:13 PM »
Can't wait for your report!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2020, 09:32:04 PM »
OK everyone, an update on my progress.

I rehooked the carb this morning, Removed my spark plug and inspected it; It was dripping with fuel and had black sooty deposits on the top, My guess is It got fouled when I had my breakdown last week. Have 3 fresh new plugs coming today, cleaned the old one with brake parts cleaner and a wire brush and installed it back into the scooter.

Put in fresh gas and attempted to start the scooter. All I got was the motor turning over. So I went back to square one on diagnosing a crank but no start issue. I Checked to see if I was getting fuel, Put my finger over the spark plug hole and found that the engine was getting fuel. So Fuel delivery is not an issue. Next I checked the spark plug and low and behold When I cranked the engine there was no spark. I tried switching to another ignition coil that I know worked and still did not get a spark. Made sure both Ignition coils were fastened properly, Still no spark.

My only guess is that It is the CDI. However, I just bought this one from amazon less than three months ago.

Triumilynn High Performance 6 Pin DC CDI Racing Ignition Box Fits for GY6 50cc 80cc 100cc 125cc 150cc 200cc 250cc Scooter Moped Go Kart Dune Buggy ATV

As of Now I just ordered this CDI from Amazon; this one comes with a new Ignition coil and comes with a new CDI that is for DC systems. The thing Im scratching my head over is how long this so called " performance" CDi lasted.

KIMISS 2Pcs Ignition Coil DC CDI Box Kit for Kymco SYM Vento Scooter GY6 Engine 125CC 150CC

As of now everything is back to stock on this bike except the fuel filter, Waiting on the delivery of the CDI and will update you guys on my progress. Im starting to think that I might have a bigger issue with this bike.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:59:56 PM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2020, 09:53:54 PM »
I can understand the disappointment! You will know more about your machine when this is sorted!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2020, 10:50:46 PM »
I can understand the disappointment! You will know more about your machine when this is sorted!

Karl, what is your experrience with aftermarket CDI boxes, is it normal for scooters to go through them?
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2020, 12:53:13 AM »
Very little. Scooterfan, souzamoto and several others are way more up on those things more than me. I learned from them that there are AC and DC versions. DC works off the battery bus and the AC works off the alternator. The two are not interchangeable. The ebay CDI aare generally chinese and most all are pretty reliable...I think.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()