Author Topic: Present for Stig  (Read 838 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Present for Stig
« on: October 26, 2020, 01:11:05 AM »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Present for Stig
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 03:36:14 PM »

Thanks Karl
Crazy VW bug you have there!
I owned a couple, but my favs were my VW "Transporters".
I have a couple friends in Germany through shared VW T2 interests over the decades. (T2 = the VW bus )
Here is a handsome little video shot in Austria by a group of T2 enthusiasts for their annual meet.

Check out that road!

And for vintage VW enthusiasts - the every-4-years meet in Bad Camberg, Germany is the world's best.
VW sends examples from their museum to this meet....it is that prestigious.
Plenty of youtubes for that meet.
Stig

and, thank goodness for drones and gopros!!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:43:18 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 12:20:56 AM »
I have always wanted a double cab pickup
RandyO
IBA#9560

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 04:31:08 PM »
Me too! I've had a number of V-Dubs both air and water cooled. I presently own a 2010 CC.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:36:21 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 05:59:38 PM »
my first car, was a sky '68 blue beetle, later on, I had a Vanagon, '81, last year they were air cooled. My older brother had a '57 Transporter, he named it Rolls Connardly (rolls down one hill, can hardly make it up the next) till he took the original 36hp engine, and replaced it with a built up 2180cc.
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 06:36:42 PM »
my first car, was a sky '68 blue beetle, later on, I had a Vanagon, '81, last year they were air cooled. My older brother had a '57 Transporter, he named it Rolls Connardly (rolls down one hill, can hardly make it up the next) till he took the original 36hp engine, and replaced it with a built up 2180cc.
Had an 80 Vanagon - should have bought the Champagne Ed. baywindow in the showroom. That 80 Vanagon drank like a Buick....plus I kept looking in the mirror to see if I was pulling a couch back there. Our 91 Vanagon had better MPG and was quicker.
Best VW I ever had was the '06 Scion xB! :)

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 07:35:54 PM »
It was '63, I think and the Jayhawk Sports Car Club was helping pit crews at SCCA races in the midwest central area. We borrowed a members VW van to transport my motorcycle to an event. It was definitely a Rolls Cannardly version with a 36 hp engine somewhere within! This is in Kansas, boys! The biggest hill around was "Mount Oread" (pronounced  oh- ree-add) the lump in east Kansas the University was sited. We spent hours at or below 50 mph in that thing!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 08:02:02 PM »
Had one exactly like this '69 (red w/white roof) when I got home from the games in S.E. Asia (wife bought it while I was in 'Nam)
We filled it to the headliner, including an organ to drop off in Ohio at Granny's, and drove it on the snowy interstate from Topeka to Boston in Feb.
As you can see they don't waste space with an engine. We did close the doors.

The heat?....Perfect.
By the time your coffee was cool enough drink on a January, Massachusetts morning, you could remove your gloves, and no longer see your breath.
And, if memory serves - it could carry it's own weight as cargo. Most trucks can't do that these days, let alone any minivans.
Stig
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:06:00 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 10:58:26 PM »
Son has rescued a '91 Vanagon or some such and has done a nice job of repairing its ailments starting by replacing the heater core! The pictures he sent were stunning the sheer amount of stuff he had to remove to GET AT the core! He has had it for several years now and several trips around Utah. 4 cylinder gas version.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 05:25:48 AM »
Had an 80 Vanagon - should have bought the Champagne Ed. baywindow in the showroom. That 80 Vanagon drank like a Buick....plus I kept looking in the mirror to see if I was pulling a couch back there. Our 91 Vanagon had better MPG and was quicker.
Best VW I ever had was the '06 Scion xB! :)

Stig

my 81 didn't get the greatest fuel economy, my v8 silverado beats it easily, that is before you turn on the gas heater

one night 30 below zero, I was taking my son, and some friends to their youth hockey game, another parent riding with me says "geeze Randy, that's as hot as a wood stove", I was lucky to get 6mpg, with the heater going
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 03:36:46 PM »
my 81 didn't get the greatest fuel economy, my v8 silverado beats it easily, that is before you turn on the gas heater

one night 30 below zero, I was taking my son, and some friends to their youth hockey game, another parent riding with me says "geeze Randy, that's as hot as a wood stove", I was lucky to get 6mpg, with the heater going
I used to wake the wife and say, "Let's make a run to Dunkin D ----- while it's snowing to beat the band! See if we can get stuck!"
I had Firestone Town&Country snow tires on the rear of the '69 Bus. OK, so some few times she had to go sit on the back seat - or climb over and sit above the engine, when I got us really stuck. :) She was 19 and I, 20. Which explains a lot.
That VW was our first 4 wheeler.....after a couple of Honda bikes....so it was a novelty to us both.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 03:43:25 PM »
So this compulsion to rise at some indecent hour before dawn is not a new thing then Stig?!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »
I used to wake the wife and say, "Let's make a run to Dunkin D ----- while it's snowing to beat the band! See if we can get stuck!"
I had Firestone Town&Country snow tires on the rear of the '69 Bus. OK, so some few times she had to go sit on the back seat - or climb over and sit above the engine, when I got us really stuck. :) She was 19 and I, 20. Which explains a lot.
That VW was our first 4 wheeler.....after a couple of Honda bikes....so it was a novelty to us both.

Stig

when it was time to get winter tires for my Vanagon, I was introduced to Nokian Hakkapeliittas, I had em front and back, went like a tank, I was sold, Nokians are the only winter tire I have purchased since, that was over 30 years ago.

I was 19-20 ? when I had my Beetle, I don't particularly remember a lot, (if you remember the 60's, you weren't there) growing up in rural Northern New England, frozen ice covered gravel roads have been my primary routes, still, even if main roads are plowed, I prefer to take the back road with now traffic, driving and riding in snow is almost mesmerizing, it was about 12 years ago, I started to experiment with riding in the snow, first, just knobby tires, the next year, I drilled stud pockets and inserted regular car studs with a pneumatic gun. The front hooked up well, and was more than satisfactory, the rear though, I had to be very careful with the throttle (V-Strom 1000) both accels, and decells, but the end of the season, I had thrown all the studs on the rear, but none on front, (I got 5 winter seasons out of that front tire/25k miles, and still 40% tread, but rounded knobs, even with the studs, it was no longer adequate for winter use)

seems as though studs make the tires last longer, not as much actual rubber contact ? slower speeds ?

the next winter, I decided to experiment with the Darkside, still the studded knobby in front, in back, a gamble, I bought the cheapest winter tire I could find in the closest size (outside diameter) I could  fine stock size is 150/70-17, I went with a 205/50-17, is actually 2.5 mm smaller. The extra weight of the car tire buffers the throttle inputs. The whole experiment, was successful, beyond my wildest imagination, travelling in weather that would have most people crying they didn't buy enough milk and bread.   Not just short rides,  100 miles away from home, with freezing rain, sleet, snow accumulating to 8" by the time I got home,  another time, just out in a blizzard  on an evening joyride.  8)
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 08:31:09 PM »
Son has rescued a '91 Vanagon or some such and has done a nice job of repairing its ailments starting by replacing the heater core! The pictures he sent were stunning the sheer amount of stuff he had to remove to GET AT the core! He has had it for several years now and several trips around Utah. 4 cylinder gas version.

My '81 air cooled Vanagon, had the standard heat exchange  boxes  on the exhaust manifolds, and a gasoline heater, same basic design as a kerosene jet style heater.  It had a heat exchanger, and fan, and made noise like the Vanagon had a jet engine when it was running.  It also has a timer knob, similar to a heat lamp in a bathroom,  you could go out on a supercold day, and twist the knob, and it would run up to 15 minutes,  and by the time it ran 5 minutes, it was woodstove warm, blasting 90° heat from the vents.
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 12:30:01 AM »
Westfalia! That's what my 40 year old kid resurrected!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()