Author Topic: need your help, can't figure this one out  (Read 481 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
need your help, can't figure this one out
« on: November 01, 2020, 07:26:57 PM »
OK, I'm going to be that guy..the one who asks how to light up his front (global, except US) signal lenses.

I'm in no hurry but thinking ahead to the long, cold, winter of hiding inside from Covid! Might want another project..

My S200 has the non working turn signal lenses in the front cover. They aren't wired and the socket hole is plugged with a hard, gray putty. I purchased a spare so I could examine them in more detail.

I have looked online and even tried European sites to see about purchasing whatever factory wire and socket goes in the hole..with no luck. I've taken a few pics and am wondering if anyone here can decipher this and let me know what bulb / cocket type / size I could use?

first pic is of the scoot so you can see the non working lenses.

Next is a closeup of the lens. On it written 12W 2V. Under that is 11, under that in a circle is E9.
Do these numbers  mean anything (other than the 12W 2V?)
Any way to tell what socket and bulb would fit this?

then a few more pics of the back side of the lens with a tape measure for reference.

Thanks!

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: need your help, can't figure this one out
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 09:05:35 PM »
A 2W bulb - seems like it would have to be something like a wedge bulb?
But only 2W for a turn signal??
My LIKE has 3W running-light bulbs. (I put 5W in there - and they're really noticeable!)

Really - no wires in there taped off, tucked away?
Seems strange that they would use a different wiring loom just for one country?

Might you consider wiring your turn pods as full time running lights - with a blink feature added?
Some motorcycles have those - and they're very visible to oncoming drivers. (a center light, flanked by 2 amber lights = a motorcycle is coming to even the dumbest drivers)

Anyway, good luck with your project.
I got nothin'......

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 08:50:21 AM »
Try racingplanetusa dot com. I have an Agility 125, but they provide parts sourced from Germany, just takes a little time to arrive. You drill down thru make, model (or a close equivalent euro-spec,) then “spare parts,” and I see similar complete assemblies with wires for about $100 each. I’ll bet they are LED fittings. Just beware that that might require you buying a separate flasher unit later-on, as well. For my Agility, the lower wattage bulbs created hummingbird-speed flashers till the appropriate flasher unit arrived! No Guarantee that the parts are 100% compatible, for my application, all connectors were similar. But the main harness, which I didn’t need, had several differences from US spec. Good Luck. Hope they work out. And I hope I successfully found the right scooter for you on their page!

Edit: I am assuming these would _replace_ your other US signals. If in addition to, there might be other issues, I don’t know.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:54:48 AM by Snappy »

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 02:09:06 PM »
Snappy, thank you. I've seen that diagram and even ordered a turn signal lens based on that diagram hoping it would come with the attached socket and wire but it didn't, likely because I ordered the US spec part from a US dealer.

I will sure keep this in mind but at $200 for the pair..I don't know...for a scoot that might be worth $1000 I find it hard to spend that kind of money on 2 lenses! I was really hoping for an inexpensive socket and wires..spending maybe $20-$30?

I am thinking of making these running lights and leaving my existing turn signals in place.

Thanks for the suggestion.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 08:28:16 AM »
I had a similar challenge with my Kymco Sento, but in this case I wanted the outside turn-signal brackets for mounting a windshield.  I drilled out the lower lenses in the fairing to the same size as a standard auto-store light-bulb socket, and glued the socket in place with epoxy.  Worked fine for years.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 08:33:10 PM »
JJJoseph, I'm trying to picture how you glued a socket in.but also kept it so you could remove the bulb if necessary? Can you explain further or do you have any pics?
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 08:09:55 AM »
JJJoseph, I'm trying to picture how you glued a socket in.but also kept it so you could remove the bulb if necessary? Can you explain further or do you have any pics?
The sockets are just stamped plated pressed metal with 1 wire out the bottom.  They're available at auto parts stores. See photo.  Drill a hole the same size and stick the socket in the hole with some epoxy.  In my example, the regular large signal bulbs were too big and the outer lens wouldn't sit properly, so I had to find smaller ones online. I also soldered a ground wire to the outside of the socket.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:19:33 AM by JJJoseph »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()