Author Topic: Changing the Clocks  (Read 265 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Changing the Clocks
« on: November 02, 2020, 04:10:08 PM »
It's that time of year again this side of the Pond when we are asked to put our clocks back an hour to move off British Summer Time (BST) back onto GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).  Tow observations:

a)  Why do we still persist with this arcane practice when so few people work the land for a living, which I gather was the original reason for the twice yearly changes?
b)  Given how many countries do regularly muck about with the clocks, why is the adjustment routine on pour scooter clocks so blessed complex?  With a six month interval between needing to do this, I inevitably forget which buttons need pushing and in which sequence!
  >:(

I've even decided to leave the clock on the Triumph on BST as it gets ridden predominantly in the Summer!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:11:58 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the Clocks
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 04:39:54 PM »
I have four bikes and have to change the clocks on all of them.  I never remember how to do it.  I just pull out the owners manuals. 

Our time change was Sunday morning and I have yet to ehange the clocks on any of my bikes and maybe half of the clocks/watches in the house. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »
Instead of gearing up 2.5hrs before sunrise and heading out on the scooter - and sometimes riding home in the dark as well (when it's overcast)......
I'll now be walking into the coffee shop in some daylight!....like only 27mins before sunrise!

Of course it depends a lot on how often I plan to stop for photos...
Truth be told, I don't plan on stopping for photos and often think when mounting up, "Major T. - there aren't any new pix you can take - unless you start swinging out through neighboring States."
Then I see something as I'm riding along....
Daughter seems to have the same affliction. She sees stuff everywhere.

If i lived in NYC, I might not ever come home - until my camera's card says "full".

Stig
 :)

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 09:22:16 PM »
I thought the original intent was because of WWII and the need for lights out after sunset so that neitherbthe Japanese nor the Germans could blast any allied coast. I think WWII has been over for a while and I recall the allies won!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 09:50:07 PM »
I only have 2 clocks in the house, that don't change automatically

the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, have bills in their legislature, to move from the Eastern Time Zone, to the Atlantic Time Zone, and do away with daylight savings changes,  The Maritime Provinces of Canada, use Atlantic Time 
RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »
Every year people talk about doing away with DST but 30 days later it isn't a thought.  On the Menagerie of scooters (forgetaboutit).
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()