Author Topic: Tires: Performance and Lifespan.  (Read 1020 times)

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Tires: Performance and Lifespan.
« on: November 05, 2020, 01:03:03 AM »
Hi all,

I've been burning through too much cheap rubber lately with my daily commute so I took the $40 dollar price jump for a set of Michelin power pure sc tires. They are now broken in and as my first experience with dual compound I have been astonished. I do not know how long they will last but the wet and dry grip is incredible. The front tire can no longer slide even with max braking on dry average quality asphalt. I also added 2 oz. of EZ ceramic balance beads to each tire. EZ beads are designed to pour through a valve stem which makes them very user friendly and can be added to any tire. On the rear tire the beads eliminated all bobbing of the rear swing-arm. The effect on the front was not calculated for but was quite beneficial. With 2 oz of dynamic weight, as the wheel accelerates the tire becomes more resistant to axial movement(AKA Flywheel). On the 12 inch tire it stabilized the steering and overall twitchiness that comes with higher speeds on the small wheels.

On a side note, my front wheel bearings were shot and I replaced them with NAPA branded 6201 bearings for $3.19 each.

Questions:

What has been your favorite tire and how many miles have they lasted?
What pressures do you run?
What balancing method do you use if any?

Also, do front scooter brake pads ever wear?
Become the best you can with what you have.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Tires: Performance and Lifespan.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 01:28:42 AM »
I always think of my used tires as a timeline. A history of places visited, memories made, and lifelong friendships formed.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 01:58:38 AM »
TBR - good to see you back, again. Noticed you took a bit of a break..but what size tires are you running on your scoot? That looks like some meaty rubber!

Running Pirelli MT75s on my scoot...when I bought it at 1800+ miles it had original (Kenda?) front tire and Pirelli rear. I replaced the front tire with a matching Pirelli within a few hundered miles of owning it.  Hit 3000 miles on the scoot a few weeks ago so not enough miles to make any judgment on tire life.  Mine will likely age out before they wear out.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 02:39:56 AM »
Thanks for the response. Increased responsibility and work load following two family losses has kept me tied up these last few months. I'm slowly working through it but glad to be back on the forum. My original front tire finally wore out at 26,000km. Age is definitely more of a worry than miles for many. I'm glad to be rid of the oem Maxxis/Shin Cheng tires that handled like blocks of solid rubber.

To answer the question I've got 130/70/12 rear with a 120/70/12 front.  I wanted to get the 120/90/12 Michelin for a larger OD but everyone was sold out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:42:07 AM by TBR125 »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 01:02:36 PM »
I'm running Pirelli Angels on my Like 150i and Metzler Feel Frees on my Majesty.   Both tires work well.  I can only get around 5K out of a rear Metzler.  It's my first set of Pirelli's so I don't know how long they will last.  I let the dealer mount and balance them.  The pressures I run depend on the scooter.  I run pretty close to what the manufacturer recommends.

As for brake pads.  I did wear out the front brake pads on my old Super 8 150 at around 25K miles.  I have yet to wear out a rear brake pad on a scooter. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »
Power Pure SC, fr & r, work well (wet & dry), wear round---got over 10,000 miles from a rear on Burgman 400.  Right now have new matched set Heidenau on my 2019 Xtown 300i ABS---they make it nice handling. 

Scooter brake pads can last line time---light weight/slow speeds.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »
Power Pure SC, fr & r, work well (wet & dry), wear round---got over 10,000 miles from a rear on Burgman 400.  Right now have new matched set Heidenau on my 2019 Xtown 300i ABS---they make it nice handling. 

Scooter brake pads can last line time---light weight/slow speeds.

On Kymco tyres, my advice would be to junk the OEM "rubber" asap!  I'm now on Michelin City Grip 2's and it's fair to say the handling is transformed.  As for the lifespan of them, frankly I don't care as I'll pay gladly for the increased grip, wet n dry.

Brake pads?  Bet mine don't last a life time John, but then I'm a fat git who likes to go fast and hauling that mass down promptly is going to eat up some friction material  ;)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 04:03:27 PM »
Tires is one of the reasons I bought my K-Pipe,  my V-strom eats tires, the price I pay, for  long distance adventure riding,  but for local errands, it is unnecessary, and heavy, and drinks a lot more too.

However, I have no ideal, what to expect for tire life, hopefully 10k+
RandyO
IBA#9560

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 10:01:12 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I've been getting 4-5k on kenda and shinko cheapest tires. If the power pures last only that I will still be pleased as the traction is incredible. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 11:05:43 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I've been getting 4-5k on kenda and shinko cheapest tires. If the power pures last only that I will still be pleased as the traction is incredible.
You are experiencing what drove me to investigate a car tire for the rear. Marvelous how little wear is seen so far. Handles as well when front and rear were Michelin Power Pure SC. 9000 miles at the last bragging! Have to look at log book for an update.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 10:56:42 AM »
You are experiencing what drove me to investigate a car tire for the rear.

"Dark siding"  Not sure that's even legal here in the UK Karl.  We have an annual inspection of the road-worthiness of vehicles here in the UK (called an MoT) and I suspect a car tyre on a scooter would score you an immediate fail?  If I'm wrong, I'm sure that Snorvey, Viper or Lord F will correct me!  ;D
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 02:21:26 PM »
"Dark siding"  Not sure that's even legal here in the UK Karl.  We have an annual inspection of the road-worthiness of vehicles here in the UK (called an MoT) and I suspect a car tyre on a scooter would score you an immediate fail?  If I'm wrong, I'm sure that Snorvey, Viper or Lord F will correct me!  ;D
We used to have spot roadside inspections....then emission checks.
Did away with all of them.
If you can get 'her to roll downhill you're good to join my family on the roads.
So sorry about your "government interference".
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 02:49:59 PM »
To quote Karl, "Har har"
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 03:19:29 PM »
Car tires on 2 wheelers are not legal in UK or EU  and I am sure with 250cc and above in Japan where govt inspection required.    I once bought a WLA HD 45 on 18 inch wheels with car junk yard tires----impossible to ride until MC tires installed.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 06:32:52 PM »
Squarish profile an issue? Just raise the pressure. At some point it will have a rounded profile:)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()