Author Topic: Stay stable/slippery when wet  (Read 957 times)

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
Stay stable/slippery when wet
« on: November 11, 2020, 11:41:39 AM »
I was riding downtown a bit ago, regular autumn weather that means 5 degrees celsius and dusty morning. When crossing tramway steels in about 45 degrees angle, both tires sliding, then some wobbling and down to the ground we go. Luckily helping people around, and ambulance and police came fast as I recall. No moving before those, there I was lying on the road partly under scooter.
 Right leg and wrist hurted and needed x-ray exam. Looks fine now. Scooter main light plastic cover broken (lights working), front wheel plastic cover ( how do tou call it) split partly, scratches right side. Just enough that no one will like to rebuy this ever from me. Still, scooter is in driving condition with a sh** looks.
 Stay safe with slippery roads! Seems now that I do not fix this scooter anyway/how, maybe will buy younger one next spring, lets see.
Seeking used Kymco moped scooter

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Stay stable/slippery when wet
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 12:45:26 PM »
Sorry to read about that unfortunate incident, but so glad to hear no lasting damage to you - except maybe to your pride!  At least you can now boast you're a real scooterist!  Metal rails and smooth tar or metal inspection covers have to be added to the list of things we two-wheelers have to treat with utmost caution.  I guess in Helsinki it will soon be snow and ice to contend with too?

As for the scooter, the damage sounds cosmetic so some of the areas might be candidates for plastic welding then a respray?  Look locally to see if you have a motorcycle dealership who can point you in the right direction?  Let us know how you get on.

In the meantime, keep it shiny side up.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »
What gear were you wearing, your approximate speed, and were you riding on the stock Kendas?
Yep, gotta cross rails as close to perpendicular as possible.
Glad you're mostly OK!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 01:06:00 PM »
Tracks should be crossed as near 90 degrees as possible----otherwise down you go!

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 07:35:46 PM »
Not just the rails but the wood at crossings gets very slick on a frost covered morning as well.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 12:22:23 AM »
There are long, squiggly tar strips from road repairs around here. Those things are unnerving enough in a straight line but when you hit them going around a curve you can get really worried really quick.

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 08:08:49 AM »
Thanks guys, luckily there was a low speed due to morning rush hour in Helsinki downtown. Clothing was normal, but shoes were wrong, had skate shoes on instead of good long driving shoes that covers more ankle. Polce said, that there is much similar accidents with tram trails when winter is about to come. But now I know. I thinki I will ride till the snow comes, dont want to use public transportation due corona virus.
 There is a possibility that I buy used Kymco Super 8 fourstroke, maybe. Yamaha Neos 50 fourstroke is also in mind, but tires are small in that model that I find not so good.
Till then I will continue with this, as long as it rides without service just riding, lets see.
 Safe rides, everybody.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 02:06:03 PM »
well if that's all the damage (front fender and rear brake lever) then it's not too bad! Easy to replace those.

Stay safe!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
Nice colour too!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 05:29:53 PM »
LIke50, I feel your pain....I dumped on a bike in Rome on wet cobblestones and 2 metal strips crossing a bridge at an angle....Also paint stripes are slippery when wet...
I just learned to go straight over then and then turn once I am back on tar again..

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 11:43:04 AM »
Like50@,
first of all good to read you are ok so far. Seeing your demaged scoot, l got a motorwrecked Like 125 MY 2012 dissasambled and would have all your parts you need to give away for free because l needed just a few pieces from. But parts and me are sitting in Italy.
If you see any reasonable way to get this parts to you send me a PM.
Safe riding, Ruffus
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 12:36:00 AM »
A fellow Piaggio Liberty150i owner dropped his scooter with his wife aboard.  Both injured some and cosmetic damage to his Liberty. He was trying to cross tail set as well. Quit riding and was going to sell his scooter in disgust. ..
.but back to riding a few months later, even with the wife.
European city streets have plenty of rails to worry a rider !
Stig
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 12:37:34 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 01:44:29 PM »
Did today a small trip nearly 40 km, filling some wine and meat for coming cold season just to stay warm, you know  8) . Moped works fine,even the main light which has no cover. Seems that I do not will fix this, thanks for the offer to Ruffus. There is also one guy from north Finland near the arctic circle, who has plastic parts, but near here none. I got offered 200 € for moped like it is now, which surprised me a lot, but there is no sensible used scooter for sale right now budget, one Super 8 sold as a Neos also. And yes, more is about to come. Till then, a glass of wine will do.
 Cheers.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 03:15:12 PM »
Cheers!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 07:19:31 PM »
Cheers to You
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()