Author Topic: Air cooled scooters, cooling?  (Read 1731 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Air cooled scooters, cooling?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 05:59:55 PM »
heck, I only run non-ethanol gas with stabilizer and I STILL have carb problems! It's more likely because I only ride my scoot a few times each month (was able to put a whole 300 miles on it this year!..my most in the 5 years of owning it)

I've had regular pilot jet clogging. Now if I rode the scoot almost daily? Probably wouldn't have any issues at all.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 04:22:23 AM »
heck, I only run non-ethanol gas with stabilizer and I STILL have carb problems! It's more likely because I only ride my scoot a few times each month (was able to put a whole 300 miles on it this year!..my most in the 5 years of owning it)

I've had regular pilot jet clogging. Now if I rode the scoot almost daily? Probably wouldn't have any issues at all.

I rode my scooter daily on non-ethanol gas during the past two years and I never had any issues. Same with previous bikes with carburetors.
Having said that - I owned two engine driven high pressure cleaners which often did not get used for several months. Non-ethanol gas was used, and both carburetors usually clogged up after a few months.
I usually used white vinegar to clean the carbs to get the engines going again. The carbs were srtipped, the loose components got submerged in white vinegar for a day or two, and I just used an air compressor to blow out everything..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:25:09 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 06:30:42 AM »
my carb is now 10 years old..I'm thinking that a winter project will be to pull it and do a thorough inspection and clean on it. I'm sure it's about time to do this.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 10:35:49 AM »
my carb is now 10 years old..I'm thinking that a winter project will be to pull it and do a thorough inspection and clean on it. I'm sure it's about time to do this.
I use Seafoam with my non-ethanol  fuel which is a stabilizer and a cleaner.  I have purchased used Kymco's that the carburetors was gummed up and had to be cleaned from extended storage with fuel in the tank. One carburetor was so bad It was easier to replace.

I have also purchased two FI scooters with extremely low miles that the fuel pump quit from extend storage. The Yamaha Majesty FI fuel pump assembly  is $400. and the Kymco 250 Xicting FI fuel pump assembly is $150. Both pumps run but not with the correct pressure in order for the engine to run.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 02:11:36 AM »
I use Seafoam with my non-ethanol  fuel which is a stabilizer and a cleaner.  I have purchased used Kymco's that the carburetors was gummed up and had to be cleaned from extended storage with fuel in the tank. One carburetor was so bad It was easier to replace.

I have also purchased two FI scooters with extremely low miles that the fuel pump quit from extend storage. The Yamaha Majesty FI fuel pump assembly  is $400. and the Kymco 250 Xicting FI fuel pump assembly is $150. Both pumps run but not with the correct pressure in order for the engine to run.
I've been running a Yamaha fuel pump in my LIKE200iLX for years. Think I  paid @$65 for the pump. Removed and measured the Kymco pump,  then purchased a match. Just the pump....not the assembly.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 03:11:05 AM »
I've been running a Yamaha fuel pump in my LIKE200iLX for years. Think I  paid @$65 for the pump. Removed and measured the Kymco pump,  then purchased a match. Just the pump....not the assembly.

Stig
The fuel pump runs just with 10# pressure and it requires 60#. The assembly contains the regulator or I would have gone with a aftermarket pump for about $90.  In fact when I found out the Yamaha pump assembly was back ordered I had them cancel the order and order the aftermarket pump. A short time later the parts guy called me back and said the mechanic said  that I need the assembly.  I even called the aftermarket fuel pump supplier and he said they could build a regulator.  Since the Majesty only has 1300 miles on it I just went with the stock pump. There mounting two new  Pirelli angels on the scooter while they have it. The stock tires looked like new tread wise but had sidewall cracking.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()