Author Topic: At what age do...  (Read 491 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
At what age do...
« on: November 16, 2020, 02:33:57 AM »
...you adopt the maintenance principle of "Don'tfoolwiddit" ?
When I was  younger I'd  fool with it anyway just because I could, or something.
Thankfully I grew out of that last week.
Stig
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:36:08 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: At what age do...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 07:59:42 AM »
I am only 87 so I have  not grown out of fiddling yet,.  and I just bought a table so I do not have to lay down to do most things my thoughts when I turn ninety I want a new Piaggio B V 350 or a MP3 if my balance is off,

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
At what age do...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 08:43:51 AM »
Well as a relative youngster (and I don’t get to say that often these days), I’ve always lived by the maxim “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 01:23:51 PM »
I have more then enough to do with normal maintenance let alone tinkering with stuff not broken.  I guess the exception would be the taller windscreens I installed when the original worked just not to my liking. The seat covers I replaced were sun damaged so I considered that maintenance.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »
I'll report back when/if I get there. (30 now)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »
Ya young whippersnapper!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 03:54:01 PM »
At 81 and after 65 years of daily riding----I do not monkey----but am familiar with my scooter as I hate failu res on long trips----tools I carry with on scooter allow me to remove wheels/change belts/repair simple flats/ cell phone if tow needed.  I find my current Kymco XTown 300i easier to work on/and maybe more or just as reliable as the Japanese----maybe falling into the area of monkeying, sometimes at home repairs/adjustments done on lift to save back, I use on board tools to make sure I have the right ones!! 

With scooters only spare parts I carry are spare drive belt and exhaust gasket. 

All the money I have wasted on my 11 new maxiscooters (since 1990) trying to get windshield that works...could be called monkeying----impossible to over- come the basic design failure of your nose being too far from tip of shield----best results have been Honda SilverWing with Givi Adjustable shield and lately my XTown 300i with Puig Touring shield, cut 4 inches, foam ear plugs, Fresh XMAX OF 17 Helmet and face shield=works ok with OF 17 helmet and face shield---plan to use on next long trip.OK with normal open face helmet/ear plugs/safety glasses....but speed needs to be kept under 60 mph!

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »
I do admire your quest for perfection on the screen front John.  I'm more of a "sod it, that'll do" type of rider when it comes to my ride's minor imperfections!  That said, I do share your passion for selecting tyres that do the job they need to.  Money well spent.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 08:13:36 PM »
There are several sacastic joke-like saying in the Navy about every monthe totally disassembling a machine that is working perfectly, inspect every piece, re-assemble, test and return to service. That is probably the best procedure for infantry with firearms but does not translate well to machinery in redundant systems. The annual inspection requirements for general aviation aircraft in the US is a good idea but produces big errors that sometimes are gross enough to be found by pilots during preflight. Things like inspection covers either missing or just not restored to position, dry battery cells, dead batteries, water in pitot-static tubing, low pressure in tires, etc.

Generally speaking, if something works, best leave it alone and just work it for a reasonable length of time. Fix it when it malfunctions. Have all the sights, smells and sounds of normal operation committed to sensory memory. Investigate changes in same.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 01:31:38 AM »
I gave up doing any of my own mechanical work (other than installing an accessory ) several decades ago, I have been self employed most of my life, and mechanics ain't my profession, I'm a land surveyor/environmental scientist, and land use consultant. It's more productive for me, to do what I do, and leave my maintenance, to maintenance professionals. It has worked out well, word of mouth. I have bartered with the owner of my local  dealership many times, done jobs for several employees, etc, in general more $$$ coming my way than theirs
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()