Author Topic: up and over Back of the Dragon in western Virginia  (Read 439 times)

sailorman

• View Profile
up and over Back of the Dragon in western Virginia
« on: November 21, 2020, 11:54:30 PM »
First day at Hungry Mother State Park, in western Virginia, and a Like 200i excursion over the Back of the Dragon.  An exquisitely challenging ride, crossing three mountains -- Big Walker, Brushy and Clinch -- with upward of 300 twisty turns.  Steep grades, fallen rocks, gravel, lumber trucks, sheer drops, freezing gusts at the crests, what's not to like?  Definitely a step out of my comfort zone!
Honda CB350 (Ret.)
Honda Metropolitan
Kymco 200i

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: up and over Back of the Dragon in western Virginia
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 09:10:16 AM »
Terrific scenery Sailor. Glad you enjoyed the ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Big Mac

• old enough to know better, but don't care
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 02:25:02 PM »
A while back, the maxi-scooter board spent the better part of a week riding the Back of the Dragon and area, for it's annual meet up. We used Hungary Mother State Park as home base. It was some of the best views and riding I've done in over 50 years of riding.

FJTRoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 03:11:36 PM »
Awesome! I try to make it down there every chance I get. It's just close enough , in the summertime I can do this on a day-ride, but winter days aren't long enough for me to get down there and back, comfortably. I've only done it on my big bikes, can't wait to get down there on the DT . The tight twisties with a rock wall on the white line were quite challenging on a 600lb couch rocket :D
86FJ1200
07Burgman650
15Downtown300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()