Author Topic: A new YUASA for Xmas?  (Read 472 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
A new YUASA for Xmas?
« on: November 24, 2020, 09:43:18 PM »
I put a new YUASA 14Ah battery in my LIKE200i 2.5 yrs ago.
I know EFI engines like a strong battery. and have been staring at the little 6Ah battery in my 3 yr old Piaggio. (I trickle charge both scooter's batteries if sitting for a couple of days)
Sadly, the battery compartment on this scooter is too small to accommodate (or be made to accommodate) anything more than a 6Ah battery.
So, thinking I might ask Santa for a new little YUASA for Xmas this year.

When I ride miles away from home on so many cold winter dawns - I like to know that I can just touch the start button when I'm getting a little chilly - and am ready to head home!

As I've noted before - these scoots require so little $ to keep them maintained each year - I don't mind spending a little on fresh batteries every few years.

I do a lot of roadside farting around! Stopping and shutting down, idling, re-starting, etc.

Stig
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:48:28 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: A new YUASA for Xmas?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 10:44:09 PM »
Do it! Yuasa ain't gotta hair if'n you don't!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 11:11:29 PM »
I switched from YUASA batteries to to Bike Master true gel AGM batteries in the motorcycles.  I have been using a company on Ebay for Chrome Pro AGM batteries for the scooters with built in information panel. It tells you how many starts, battery voltage,  capacity, how many days since installed and low voltage alarm.  I put a couple of these in the Xicting 500's. It has only been a couple of years since installed and so far so good and there bargin priced. You can get a Chrome without the information panel for even less.  I will never go back to a lead acid battery after a AGM.

On the Lambretta Uno the battery is installed on it's side on the bottom of the scooter so you have to use a AGM.

Orange has a new AGM from O'Reilly's about $80. that the owner put in the Xiciting 250 just before I picked it up.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:16:09 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 01:08:25 AM »
I switched from YUASA batteries to to Bike Master true gel AGM batteries in the motorcycles.  I have been using a company on Ebay for Chrome Pro AGM batteries for the scooters with built in information panel. It tells you how many starts, battery voltage,  capacity, how many days since installed and low voltage alarm.  I put a couple of these in the Xicting 500's. It has only been a couple of years since installed and so far so good and there bargin priced. You can get a Chrome without the information panel for even less.  I will never go back to a lead acid battery after a AGM.

On the Lambretta Uno the battery is installed on it's side on the bottom of the scooter so you have to use a AGM.

Orange has a new AGM from O'Reilly's about $80. that the owner put in the Xiciting 250 just before I picked it up.
We have Chrome in our scoots after the OEM's quit.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 04:39:10 PM »
if you need a more powerful battery to fit in the same small space - how about one of the lithium ion batteries? Super light, tiny and I would guess you could get a more powerful battery to fit the spot where your current battery sits.

Other than my power tools I don't have any experience with lithium batteries...but I know a lot of motorcyclists like them as way to save a few pounds.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 04:56:26 PM »
if you need a more powerful battery to fit in the same small space - how about one of the lithium ion batteries? Super light, tiny and I would guess you could get a more powerful battery to fit the spot where your current battery sits.

Other than my power tools I don't have any experience with lithium batteries...but I know a lot of motorcyclists like them as way to save a few pounds.
Don't they need a specific charger Hawk?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 06:01:06 PM »
If I keep a new bike/scooter 2-3 years, I just buy new cheap battery---my case Batteries Plus.   With fuel Injection/no kick starters/no ability to push start....it is just not worth it to chinch on batteries.  Use the scooter everyday and battery is happy.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 07:05:55 PM »
Don't they need a specific charger Hawk?
I'm not Hawk but would like to respond. I purchased a Lithium battery for one of my BMW's and went to start it two weeks later and it was dead. I called the company and they sent a replacement and recommended I use a charger built for a Lithium battery.  The BMW has a lot of electronics and parasitic drains. They recommended I keep the battery on a Lithium battery maintainer when not in use.  I lost confidence in the Lithium battery and the replacement sits in a box with a new lithium battery charger. I ordered a new AGM battery from the same company.  The battery company representative I talked with also rode bikes and uses a AGM in her bike as well.   I was told Lithium batteries do not like parasitic drains.  I hope my experience was just a bad battery.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 12:28:16 PM »
Thanks KK.  I'd sort of assumed that motorcycle / scooter applications might not be the best for lithium batteries.  Maybe try an AGM next time around as a change from my usual Yuasa flooded battery.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 01:14:14 PM »
Thanks KK.  I'd sort of assumed that motorcycle / scooter applications might not be the best for lithium batteries.  Maybe try an AGM next time around as a change from my usual Yuasa flooded battery.
Like I said it could have been just a bad battery but talking to the company representative didn't inspire confidence.  I had a Bike Master true gel in my Kymco Xiciting 500 from 2013 that I replaced because of age. I took that battery out and still using it in my riding lawn mower.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 01:16:09 PM »
Walmart and O'Reilly sell AGM motorcycle/scooter batteries as well for around $80.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 04:49:42 PM »
Since my scoot in the mornings sometimes seems to crank a little bit hesitant, l took this battery. Will report after some time of usage.
Ruffus
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 09:22:14 PM »
According to producers info is for Lithium Iones batteries which are labelled LiFePo4
(Lithium Iron Phosphate) not neccesseraly a special charger required as long as you stay within a charging voltage from 14 to 15 Volts.
So our scooter generator in combination with a sound regulator should be able to handle that.
Like l said l will tell after some time my experience with this battery, particularely how it behaves at cold weather starts.
Btw: this battery came in same dimensions like the  flooded l had until now.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()