Author Topic: 09 People 250s just died  (Read 6128 times)

getyourown

• View Profile
09 People 250s just died
« on: October 11, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
New member on the forum and I have an issue. I was riding to work today doing 70mph on the freeway when I went to pass another car I noticed that the bike did not have any acceleration. Almost immediately after that the scooter died. I was able to get the bike off the hiway and onto the shoulder of the road. I tried to restart the bike and the scooter makes a horrible grinding noise and won't start. The scooter has about 2200 miles on the odometer and has run great in the last month or so that I have owned the bike. I did change the oil last week but can't recall anything out of the ordinary. I put 1.1 liters of oil into the bike after drainig the oil first. My wife did ride the scooter about 15 miles or so since I changed the oil. I checked the dipstick and the oil is at the right level.

I got the bike home in the back of a truck and will tear into it this evening. Anybody have any ideas on where to start. My initial idea is I screwed up the oil change but the bike is full of oil so I don't think that is the problem. Could it be the battery? Could it be the belt (unlikely with only 2200 miles)?

ispud

• View Profile
Re: 09 People 250s just died
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:42:05 PM »
I would hope its a warranty issue - let your dealer rip it apart.  Grindy noises give me goose bumps.  Good luck and keep us posted.

:)>>
:)>>

getyourown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
I am the second owner of this scooter. Does anyone know if the factory warranty transfers to teh new owner or does it just cover the original owner?

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:39:31 PM »
I read on another forum about a guy who drained the oil then replaced it into the gears instead of the crankcase. Ooops.

Did you check your gear oil?

Although, if it just grinds on hitting the starter, it probably has to be in the engine or the variator. Since the clutch is not engaged until you have some RPMs going, I doubt it is the clutch or gears. Pull the transmission cover and check out the variator.

I also wonder if the  starter motor gears could be jammed.

If it had oil you should not have been able to blow the engine, unless there was a defect.

Maybe the guy you bought it from can help you with the warranty claim if it does not transfer.

getyourown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 01:20:17 AM »
The gear oil is back by the rear wheel correct :D

Believe me I double checked the oil while I was waiting on my ride to pick me up. It measures right on the dipstick and is that nice clear golden color. I have ruled out my battery dieing and I have a call into my local Kymco dealer to see if the bike is still under warranty. If it isn't I will start taking the plastic off and see what I can find.

If I had messed up the oil change I would have thought the scooter would have broken down during the 15 miles or so my wife was riding it.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 03:32:20 AM »
Oil does darken almost immediately. It is supposed to, that is the point of the detergents.
So if it was golden after 20 or 30 miles, I suppose it is possible it was not circulating for some reason?

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:34:52 AM »
Since your oil is the correct color and not full of metal (silver fleck) or coolant (murky oil) I would start by opening up the CVT and looking inside there.

Some questions for your troubleshooting.
Now that it's rested, Does it start at all? 
Does it make the noise during the starting process or after it started and revs come up?
Does the noise change with revs?
Is there anything coming out of the vents of the CVT?
Does the rear wheel spin during warm up?

Go to this directory http://tinyurl.com/2a2ernx  and open this "GENERAL INFORMATION" book and follow the troubleshooting chart that matches your noises.  PDF/Book/Section 2 describes how to take the plastics off (the easy way).  The P250S stuff starts on the last three pages of Section 2.

getyourown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »
Turns out the drive belt shredded and was wrapped around the drive pulley. Surprised that it only lasted 2200 miles. Will order a new one and be back in business. Thanks for the tips and advise.

pedro

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 11:05:56 PM »
Glad to hear it wasn't anything major.  Belts do break sometimes.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 06:02:24 AM »
Was it a Kymco OEM belt or some other brand belt?... or can you tell anymore

Dibber

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 11:45:54 PM »
It is diffidently a premature breakage of your belt.  But then it could very well be a defective belt which can happen to anyone even though still be very rare.  Great that it was only a belt issue which is easy and relatively inexpensive to repair.  Happy riding.

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »
New guy here. I am curious-would a belt shredding cause any damage to the variator? would a person remove the belt and start the engine to rule out variator damage, i.e. runout issues , imbalances etc.? Seems like a blowout at 70 with accelerating might cause a bit of unequal tension on the variator. When you put a new belt on is it prudent to start the engine and observe for smoothness before putting the trans cover back on? just curious.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »
Are you doing the work yourself?  There's no reason not to start the engine with belt off and observe/listen for noises or imbalance.   

Can you tell if there are wrench marks on the variator nut or clutch nut?  If so, previous owner had been messing with it and maybe did something incorrect. 

Since you're in there that far anyway, you'll have the variator off, right, so look over all parts --rollers, etc.  No lubricant should be used in the variator.   

Anyway, with a belt breakage, there's prob gonna be black melted rubber all over the variator and clutch pulley faces which you'll want to clean off.

Edit:  Whoops, I think I answered two different posts as though they were the same poster.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:06:31 PM by Hoolander2 »

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »
New guy here. I am curious-would a belt shredding cause any damage to the variator? would a person remove the belt and start the engine to rule out variator damage, i.e. runout issues , imbalances etc.? Seems like a blowout at 70 with accelerating might cause a bit of unequal tension on the variator. When you put a new belt on is it prudent to start the engine and observe for smoothness before putting the trans cover back on? just curious.

The belt shredding COULD cause damage if it wrapped around the Rear sheave and cased the bike to skid to a stop but you would know this immediately.  If the belt failed (like mine has) and you lose power and coast to a stop but the engine still revs smoothly, you know the belt has failed. When mine failed (and most others also) the failed belt becomes fluff, string, and rubber shards.  The interior of the CVT is covered  in rubber "skid marks"

I cleaned it all out, replaced the roller/sliders (worn) and the failed belt.  You can run the CVT without the cover to see that all is good.  The belt does a correct direction.  Follow the arrow printed on the belt.  The cover is not air or water tight.  It is there to protect the belt and other items from being hit by road debris and to protect the rider.

docjones

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
Seems to me without a doubt this should be covered under warranty. I purchased a used 09 Agility 125 in July 2010 and the CDI failed. My local dealer repaired it under warranty, no questions asked. My dealer told me the warranty follows the scoot not the original owner. Kymcos have great warrantys in my humble opinion.
09 Agility 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()