Author Topic: Never say never  (Read 511 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Never say never
« on: December 10, 2020, 01:59:14 PM »
I thought I wouldn't purchase another air cooled or carbureted scooter.  Well I did just that a 2013 Super 8 150. The Maxie scooters are just to big and heavy to load into the garage of the RV.  The height of the side loading door is 3' off the ground and didn't feel comfortable riding up a steep ramp along with the weight that would of upset the balance. Found a 2013 Super 8 with 368 miles on it that had been in storage for 8 years. Clean fuel system and carburetor and new battery and runs like new.  It had belonged to a 70 year old woman that her husband had bought for her.

I tried to purchase a 2014 Super 8  in Des Moines Iowa but the person was to high in price, under the thread unrealistic expectations.  It had under 1k miles on it and looked like new as well.

When I go down to Georgia to visit family I will take the RV and scooter.  Might take the long way and stop at Stigs coffee shop some morning.  Will wait to travel until the vaccine is distributed.  My BIL has a compromised immune system and do not want to put him in danger.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 02:11:24 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Never say never
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 02:22:44 PM »
Sounds like a plan - and something to look forward to!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 02:57:46 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase! I have been looking at the Super 8 150 as a "first scooter" purchase for a while now. Kept my eye on Facebook Marketplace and Cycle Trader this past summer and fall seeing what they go for and getting an idea of what kind of inventory comes and goes on the used market. Seems like it's fairly active, and if you have cash and are willing to be patient, you can find some of these machines with very low mileage at great prices.

I just think it would be fun to have a scoot for warm-weather riding, and I think that 150 size would be great for just cruising around the back roads in my area. No plans for any long-distance driving with it, though, as you note, its size is perfect for trailering along on vacations and such without much hassle. Would be a cool little machine to take to the beach or a camping trip in the mountains.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 03:02:08 PM »
I thought I wouldn't purchase another air cooled or carbureted scooter.  Well I did just that a 2013 Super 8 150. The Maxie scooters are just to big and heavy to load into the garage of the RV.  The height of the side loading door is 3' off the ground and didn't feel comfortable riding up a steep ramp along with the weight that would of upset the balance. Found a 2013 Super 8 with 368 miles on it that had been in storage for 8 years. Clean fuel system and carburetor and new battery and runs like new.  It had belonged to a 70 year old woman that her husband had bought for her.

I tried to purchase a 2014 Super 8  in Des Moines Iowa but the person was to high in price, under the thread unrealistic expectations.  It had under 1k miles on it and looked like new as well.

When I go down to Georgia to visit family I will take the RV and scooter.  Might take the long way and stop at Stigs coffee shop some morning.  Will wait to travel until the vaccine is distributed.  My BIL has a compromised immune system and do not want to put him in danger.
Give me a heads up if you're coming for coffee.
'Course carbed models can't park on the street - but we can get you within walking distance, if you're fit.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »
Har har
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 05:44:15 PM »
Give me a heads up if you're coming for coffee.
'Course carbed models can't park on the street - but we can get you within walking distance, if you're fit.

Stig
Depends on how much caffeine is in the coffee ;)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 06:05:09 PM »
Congratulations ! As a matter of interest - does your Super 8 have 12” or 14 wheels ?
I am a bit confused - we do not have Super 8 models in our country and according to some info on the web the Super 8’s come  with 12” wheels. According to other sources it comes with 14” wheels.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 07:40:31 PM »
Congratulations ! As a matter of interest - does your Super 8 have 12” or 14 wheels ?
I am a bit confused - we do not have Super 8 models in our country and according to some info on the web the Super 8’s come  with 12” wheels. According to other sources it comes with 14” wheels.
14" wheels.  2014 was last year of that style Super 8. The funny thing about the tire size is I can only get front tires for the rear and can only get rear tires for the front. Probably why they went to 12" tires on later models.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 12:43:42 AM »
14" wheels.  2014 was last year of that style Super 8. The funny thing about the tire size is I can only get front tires for the rear and can only get rear tires for the front. Probably why they went to 12" tires on later models.

Thanks. I actually thought the Super 8’s are Kymco’s competitor against the Sym Jet 14 scooters that we get in South Africa. The Sym Jet 14’s come with 14” wheels,  168.9 cc air cooled engines, and disc brakes on both wheels. Indeed a very nice and good looking scooter.
By the way - it looks like scooters are quite expensive in the US. Converted to ZAR, a Kymco 125 or Super in the US is a lot more expensive than a Sym Jet 14 with 168.9cc engine, 14” wheels, and disc brakes at the rear in South Africa.
Depending on what the future holds for me, my next scooter wil probably be a Sym Jet 14. i like it for the same reasons you bought your Super 8, and I regard the disc brake at the Sym’s rear as an absolute bonus. The Syms are also from Taiwan and are about the same quality as Kymco scooters.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:46:16 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 01:45:57 AM »
Scooterfan I've seen a few Sym scooters in the US and they look like a  quality scooter. I have a Lambretta uno 150 also know as a Adly which was built by Herchee another Taiwanese company. They only imported them in 2008 on the West cost. Not a bad machine. It has a 4 valve 150cc engine and front and rear disc brakes and comfortable for a small scooter but 12" tires.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:54:24 AM by Kansas kymco »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 02:16:00 AM »
Stig I would be curious how my carbureted  150cc performs against your FI 163cc. I'll through down the gauntlet. 8)

Loser buys the coffee.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 02:17:46 AM by Kansas kymco »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 06:33:08 AM »
Stig I would be curious how my carbureted  150cc performs against your FI 163cc. I'll through down the gauntlet. 8)

Loser buys the coffee.
Just don't invite the bike cop from Helsinki  ::)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()